"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-14-2008, 01:57 PM   #1
Cook

Second Hand Finds

We started talking a little about this in another thread but I thought I'd start a new topic about it.

What really cool cooking things have you found at a thrift store, eBay, garage sale, Craigslist, free, or other second hand source?

I am an avid thrift store shopper and mostly find things there. I will post some pictures later but here are some of my best ts finds.

Descoware 5qt DO: 9.99
Desocware 4qt DO: 9.99
Le Creuset 12" grill pan: 10.00
George Foreman G5 grill with all 5 plates: 20.00
Cuisineart food processor: 4.95
Le Creuset sauce pan with skillet lid: 12.00
Griswold and Wagner CI pans: $5 to $7 range
various other treasures that I can't think of right now

My holy grail that I am still hoping to find but probably won't is a Vita Mix.

So all you other second hand shoppers post your finds.

Old 06-14-2008, 04:08 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

I haven't bought any cookware, appliances or kitchen gadgets second hand but I find great cookbook buys at flea markets.

So far, I have found:

Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
The French Chef Cookbook by Julia Child
Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
Italian Cooking by the Romanolis
Williams-Sonoma Dinner Party Cookbook
Recipes form Gourmet Magazine Cookbook

There may be one or two more that I can't recall off hand

Old 06-14-2008, 05:29 PM   #3
Master Chef

Years ago, I bought a wonderful stock pot at a rummage sale for $2. The lid had clamps, but there was no pressure guage, so I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a canner or what, but I used it for everything from chicken and dumplings to pasta to soup. When Kim got me a set of Magnalite, I gave it to my daughter, who still uses it.

Most of my cast iron pieces came from rummage sales, as well. The chicken fryer is a great piece...a 16" covered skillet that is about 6" deep. It weighs a TON!
Old 06-15-2008, 10:46 AM   #4
Head Chef

One thing I recently discovered is that a lot of manuals for electric cookware are available for free over the internet. I think you must make sure all the little parts are there. When looking for a manual for a recently purchased bread machine, I noticed a lot of requests for a replacement paddle.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:08 PM   #5
Head Chef

Most everything in my kitchen and in my house is second hand!

I buy everything from second hand diamonds to decorative accessories used.

I refuse to pay retail prices for new junk [and I do mean junk] when I can buy the best quality for pennies.
Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 PM   #6
Head Chef

Hey Leolady. I agree. I use almost exclusively cast iron and copper cookware, and nearly all of it was "pre owned" I am currently trying to learn to renovate the old copper myself. Every so often, while cooking, take a trip down nostalgia lane and start thinking just how many good dinners have been created in my old stuff, or wonder if I am using a pot that once belonged to a 5 star chef.

Oh, and Leolady, I bet you look gorgeous in those old secondhand diamonds. Do we get a picher? LOL
Old 06-15-2008, 05:36 PM   #7
Head Chef

You have cast iron and copper cookware too!

You are my hero....

Thanks, I feel gorgeous in my pre owned gems but I don't take photos of myself. Just picture me in your mind......LOL!
Old 06-15-2008, 05:59 PM   #8
Head Chef

Over the years, I have given away dozens of old CI to newlyweds, starting out singles, and others in need. I generally pay less than a few bucks for something I want, and often I have to buy a box of kitchen stuff to get what I want. Copper is another matter. There is a lot of it around, but it is harder to come by. Much of it needs work, primarily tinning. Dents are fairly easy to remove. I make a wooden form the right size and configuration, ditto with loose rivets. And bang it with a hammer. Next week I am going to try retinning. Seems to me to be easier than most people think. Street vendors do it without much in the way of the tools. I am about to retire, and then I will have time to do this sort of thing.
I kinda like this "pre" stuff. I think that I will start calling myself pre used instead of old.
OK, I am picturing you in my mind, and I like what I see.
Old 06-15-2008, 06:31 PM   #9
Cook

I don't think there are many things I will ever again buy new. I love bargains and on appliances you can almost always get store credit or your money back if they don't work. I usually plug them in in the store anyway and I almost always find stuff in new condition.

Just on Friday I finally found a cast iron dutch oven with the lid. It was 9.99 and I refused to buy one of the new ones. I hate how rough they are. This one is perfect and will be going with us on our next camping trip. It's the older type with the smoothly cast finish. Can't wait to use it!!
Old 06-16-2008, 06:09 AM   #10
Assistant Cook

I have brought most of my cookbooks from these sources.

i got an old Sunbeam combination, deep fryer, slow cooker and steamer for 8.00, works really well.

Also a near new still in box Ronson slow cooker was another bargain, yet to find, but definately still looking for an enameld cast iron dutch oven .....