Second Hand Finds

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

VitaWright

Cook
We started talking a little about this in another thread but I thought I'd start a new topic about it.

What really cool cooking things have you found at a thrift store, eBay, garage sale, Craigslist, free, or other second hand source?

I am an avid thrift store shopper and mostly find things there. I will post some pictures later but here are some of my best ts finds.

Descoware 5qt DO: 9.99
Desocware 4qt DO: 9.99
Le Creuset 12" grill pan: 10.00
George Foreman G5 grill with all 5 plates: 20.00
Cuisineart food processor: 4.95
Le Creuset sauce pan with skillet lid: 12.00
Griswold and Wagner CI pans: $5 to $7 range
various other treasures that I can't think of right now

My holy grail that I am still hoping to find but probably won't is a Vita Mix.

So all you other second hand shoppers post your finds.

I haven't bought any cookware, appliances or kitchen gadgets second hand but I find great cookbook buys at flea markets.

So far, I have found:

Mastering the Art of French Cooking by Julia Child
The French Chef Cookbook by Julia Child
Paul Prudhomme's Louisiana Kitchen
Italian Cooking by the Romanolis
Williams-Sonoma Dinner Party Cookbook
Recipes form Gourmet Magazine Cookbook

There may be one or two more that I can't recall off hand

Years ago, I bought a wonderful stock pot at a rummage sale for $2. The lid had clamps, but there was no pressure guage, so I'm not sure if it was supposed to be a canner or what, but I used it for everything from chicken and dumplings to pasta to soup. When Kim got me a set of Magnalite, I gave it to my daughter, who still uses it.

Most of my cast iron pieces came from rummage sales, as well. The chicken fryer is a great piece...a 16" covered skillet that is about 6" deep. It weighs a TON!

Last edited:
One thing I recently discovered is that a lot of manuals for electric cookware are available for free over the internet. I think you must make sure all the little parts are there. When looking for a manual for a recently purchased bread machine, I noticed a lot of requests for a replacement paddle.

Most everything in my kitchen and in my house is second hand!

I buy everything from second hand diamonds to decorative accessories used.

I refuse to pay retail prices for new junk [and I do mean junk] when I can buy the best quality for pennies.

Hey Leolady. I agree. I use almost exclusively cast iron and copper cookware, and nearly all of it was "pre owned" I am currently trying to learn to renovate the old copper myself. Every so often, while cooking, take a trip down nostalgia lane and start thinking just how many good dinners have been created in my old stuff, or wonder if I am using a pot that once belonged to a 5 star chef.

Oh, and Leolady, I bet you look gorgeous in those old secondhand diamonds. Do we get a picher? LOL

You have cast iron and copper cookware too!

You are my hero....

Thanks, I feel gorgeous in my pre owned gems but I don't take photos of myself. Just picture me in your mind......LOL!

Over the years, I have given away dozens of old CI to newlyweds, starting out singles, and others in need. I generally pay less than a few bucks for something I want, and often I have to buy a box of kitchen stuff to get what I want. Copper is another matter. There is a lot of it around, but it is harder to come by. Much of it needs work, primarily tinning. Dents are fairly easy to remove. I make a wooden form the right size and configuration, ditto with loose rivets. And bang it with a hammer. Next week I am going to try retinning. Seems to me to be easier than most people think. Street vendors do it without much in the way of the tools. I am about to retire, and then I will have time to do this sort of thing.
I kinda like this "pre" stuff. I think that I will start calling myself pre used instead of old.
OK, I am picturing you in my mind, and I like what I see.

I don't think there are many things I will ever again buy new. I love bargains and on appliances you can almost always get store credit or your money back if they don't work. I usually plug them in in the store anyway and I almost always find stuff in new condition.

Just on Friday I finally found a cast iron dutch oven with the lid. It was 9.99 and I refused to buy one of the new ones. I hate how rough they are. This one is perfect and will be going with us on our next camping trip. It's the older type with the smoothly cast finish. Can't wait to use it!!

I have brought most of my cookbooks from these sources.

i got an old Sunbeam combination, deep fryer, slow cooker and steamer for 8.00, works really well.

Also a near new still in box Ronson slow cooker was another bargain, yet to find, but definately still looking for an enameld cast iron dutch oven ..... :):)

I have found, mostly at estate sales, old cookbooks (several editions of Boston Cooking School Cook Book, Mrs. Lincoln's Boston Cook Book, the first Pillsbury Bake Off Cookbooklet), a large Van Briggle pitcher, a couple Red Wing mixing bowls, yelloware mixing bowls, a large wooden bread rising bowl, etc.

I am a real estate appraiser, and sometimes I am in houses before the sale. Therefore, I sometimes get a preview. I find most of the good old stuff at estate sales in homes generally built in the 50's and 60's. If I am looking for copper, yard sales in wealthier old neighborhoods generally are the best. A lot of copper was made for decoration in coppertone kitchens in the 50's, and is worthless for cooking. In general, the heavier the better.

I have bought enough cookware and appliances over the years through these sources to furnish my kitchen infinitely better than most restaurant kitchens, 3 church kitchens, 4 friends and relative's kitchens, and to teach cooking classes at the Boys and Girls Club.

That includes everything from heavy copper cookware, enameled cast iron cookware, Sabatier knives, Kitchenaid and Hobart mixers, Cuisinart and commercial Robot Coupe food processors, Vita Mix blenders, restaurant utensils and bowls, and everything else you can imagine...including my Crown American vintage 6 burner 2 oven gas range.

I have bought a huge maple butcher block table, a marble pastry table, iron and copper pot racks, heavy Dexter Russell restaurant turners and forks and spatulas, restaurant heavy flatware, Corelle dishes, & more!

For me this is recycling at its best. Hopefully at my own estate sale in 30 or 40 years, someone else will buy my stuff and it will get yet another life. Like you, I have hepled set up a number of kitchens for "starters out", furnished with recycled kitchenware. Besides, it beats going to the mall on Saturday mornings.

I got my current range, a Five Star commercial style gas with convection range, off of Craig's list. It was 4 years old and I swear, had only been used a few times. The broiler had never been used. It also came with a huge cast iron griddle that you put in over 2 of the burners. It listed for $4300 and I got it for $550.

I've also gotten most of my dishes from thrift stores and re-sale shops. I got a wonderful Calphalon SS grill pan used on Ebay for $35 shipped. It's huge and with a little Bar Keepers Friend, it looks brand new.

For me this is recycling at its best. Hopefully at my own estate sale in 30 or 40 years, someone else will buy my stuff and it will get yet another life. Like you, I have hepled set up a number of kitchens for "starters out", furnished with recycled kitchenware. Besides, it beats going to the mall on Saturday mornings.

You are a man after my own heart Bigjim!

I have a "recycling" friend who I met on the net, and we are going "thrift shopping" when he comes this week. It is funny, I have really nothing left on my wish list!

Another internet friend is totally renovating a 70's era Hobart KA dishwasher for me and that is all my kitchen lacks. This friend works for Hobart as a repairman. I will have it by Christmas.

I never go to the mall anymore!

Where to start...my kitchen, heck, my whole house, is filled with thrift store finds. Virtually all my cookware, silverware, dishes, cups, saucers, bowls, glassware, utensils (I have the best garlic press I've ever used, EVER, 99¢ in a thrift store). Let's see, what can I see from where I'm sitting...VitaMix 3600 (I have a new VM 5000, complete, in the lower cupboard), $20 and $50, respectively, OrangeX medium juicer, $5, Champion commercial juicer, $30, Revere cannister set, $5, Drip-O-Lator and 2-1/2 qt. Revere kettle, $1 apiece, Hobart N50, $8 (7+tax, I let her keep the change), KitchenAid KFP600 food processor with all the discs, $70, Dualit 4 slice toaster, $5, all my cutting boards and maple pastry board, a lifetime supply of Chicago Cutlery, mostly walnut, but I'm using the older Metropolitans, KA A-9 coffee mill, $8, 4 and 6 qt. Presto stainless steel pressure cookers, a pair of Cameron stovetop smokers that I use for lasagna (they have these great sliding lids), a sweet French 20 cm. black steel frying pan, several pieces of All-Clad, an 18 qt. stainless stockpot, a 12 qt. DuraWare stockpot, 10" copper whisking bowl, copper insert bowl for my Hobart N50, assorted coffee pots and urns (the urns are Farberware, 2 55 cup and a 35 cup, great for parties) a Bunn Pour-O-Matic with 3 carafes, a 20"x14"x4" black steel commercial roasting pan (strapped bottom), two large sets of Revere Limited Edition pots and pans, one all copper clad, the other tri-ply (stainless in and out, full copper core), Bron mandolin, Borner V-Slicer, two cast iron griddles, cast iron 5 qt. Dutch oven (American), cast iron camp pan, the bottom is a deep frying pan/pot, the lid is also a shallow fry pan, 14" cast iron frying pan, two lidded sautes, one an 11" All Clad, the other a larger Kirkland tri-ply, assorted copper pots and pans that I am re-tinning, jeez, there's more but I've got bread rising and have to pan and bake. If anybody wants a Sunbeam meat grinder attachment for their stand mixer, I may have one somewhere...

Where to start...my kitchen, heck, my whole house, is filled with thrift store finds. Virtually all my cookware, silverware, dishes, cups, saucers, bowls, glassware, utensils (I have the best garlic press I've ever used, EVER, 99¢ in a thrift store). Let's see, what can I see from where I'm sitting...VitaMix 3600 (I have a new VM 5000, complete, in the lower cupboard), $20 and $50, respectively, OrangeX medium juicer, $5, Champion commercial juicer, $30, Revere cannister set, $5, Drip-O-Lator and 2-1/2 qt. Revere kettle, $1 apiece, Hobart N50, $8 (7+tax, I let her keep the change), KitchenAid KFP600 food processor with all the discs, $70, Dualit 4 slice toaster, $5, all my cutting boards and maple pastry board, a lifetime supply of Chicago Cutlery, mostly walnut, but I'm using the older Metropolitans, KA A-9 coffee mill, $8, 4 and 6 qt. Presto stainless steel pressure cookers, a pair of Cameron stovetop smokers that I use for lasagna (they have these great sliding lids), a sweet French 20 cm. black steel frying pan, several pieces of All-Clad, an 18 qt. stainless stockpot, a 12 qt. DuraWare stockpot, 10" copper whisking bowl, copper insert bowl for my Hobart N50, assorted coffee pots and urns (the urns are Farberware, 2 55 cup and a 35 cup, great for parties) a Bunn Pour-O-Matic with 3 carafes, a 20"x14"x4" black steel commercial roasting pan (strapped bottom), two large sets of Revere Limited Edition pots and pans, one all copper clad, the other tri-ply (stainless in and out, full copper core), Bron mandolin, Borner V-Slicer, two cast iron griddles, cast iron 5 qt. Dutch oven (American), cast iron camp pan, the bottom is a deep frying pan/pot, the lid is also a shallow fry pan, 14" cast iron frying pan, two lidded sautes, one an 11" All Clad, the other a larger Kirkland tri-ply, assorted copper pots and pans that I am re-tinning, jeez, there's more but I've got bread rising and have to pan and bake. If anybody wants a Sunbeam meat grinder attachment for their stand mixer, I may have one somewhere...
Ooooh, how could I forget I have a Bunn Pour-O-Matic with 3 warming pads and a Bunn Dual Hopper A9 (I think) burr coffee grinder. I got them both on ebay for way less than $100 and they are probably the 2 appliances I value the most. But I really wanna go shopping with you Gadzooks. You put me to shame with all of your finds!

OK, I'm back...bread is rising a second time, mess cleaned up...I shouldn't have gone in the kitchen, there's more. A very nice suribachi, a couple of mortar&pestle sets, nice German spring form pans (yum, cheeeeesecake!), several espresso makers, all stovetop. I had a Baby Gaggia, but gave it away. A ton of stuff that I have passed on to friends. Couple of molded glass and chrome Silex candle warmers (very retro). A way cool liquid core electric frying pan. Oh, heavy stainless steel nesting pots and pans for car and horse camping, 1/4 and 1/2 sheet pans, Queez electric carving knife, Rival Meat slicer, pasta roller and cutter, FreshRoast+8 coffee roaster, Waring 12VDC Bar Blender (run it off solar panels buffered by a small 12V battery at Burning Man...blender drinks are a hot item when it hits 130º). There's probably more in there, and I have a fairly small kitchen. You know, this is kind of embarrassing...stainless soda siphon, cream whipper, 4L wiretop glass jar for pickling (eggs w/beets&onions), and my trusty 5 gallon sauerkraut crock on the porch. Oops! And a 1-1/2 qt. Norpro Krona s.s. whisking bowl (old pattern, flared handle and hanging hole. They don't make 'em anymore, I asked Norpro) and a set of heavy s.s. no-slip mixing bowls. All used, and on the cheap. I generally hit the thrifts once a week, and Wednesday morning seems best. And there is CraigsList, a treasure trove for certain, and eBay, which I find kind of spendy usually. Funny, I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets and drawers about two weeks ago for a charity rummage sale, and when I was done, they were still full!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom