Shiny side or dull side?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JustJoel

Executive Chef
Quick question. I came across a recipe that included the instruction to cover food in the oven if browning too quickly with aluminum foil (actually a bread recipe, if that makes any difference). This makes sense, but the recipe went on to stress covering the food with shiny side facing out. I’ve heard this before and wondered if there’s any difference which side of the foil is facing out?

There is a difference. I'm not sure how significant it is. Shiny side out to reflect the heat from the oven.

The shiny side, dull side is just a by-product of the production process. It is not that way intentionally.

I used to wonder if there was a "correct" way to use foil, but in years of informal experimentation, I certainly haven't noticed any.

Maybe the author of that bread recipe knows something I don't (gasp), so you could follow his/her instructions, or be a rebel and do just the opposite.

cD

Yeah, I don't think it really matters here, shiny or dull side in or out. We're not talking home insulation.

But many fresh or frozen prepared meals that come in heavy tin pans have the pans shiny in the inside and blacked out on the outside. I can see the purpose there. Perhaps they should make tin foils like that, black on one side.

Last edited:
...I’ve heard this before and wondered if there’s any difference which side of the foil is facing out?
It depends on how fancy you want your hat to look. :cool:

The only "which side to use" discussion I remember hearing is that you don't put the dull side against acidic food because bad things can happen. Of course that discussion was from when I was a kid, so memory can be faulty or foil has probably changed since then.

I do know they do not make a foil strong enough to survive a weekly dose of whiskey over the homemade fruitcake over a period of 6-8 weeks...

It depends on how fancy you want your hat to look. :cool:

The only "which side to use" discussion I remember hearing is that you don't put the dull side against acidic food because bad things can happen. Of course that discussion was from when I was a kid, so memory can be faulty or foil has probably changed since then.

I do know they do not make a foil strong enough to survive a weekly dose of whiskey over the homemade fruitcake over a period of 6-8 weeks...

:LOL:

The shiny side, dull side is just a by-product of the production process. It is not that way intentionally.

I used to wonder if there was a "correct" way to use foil, but in years of informal experimentation, I certainly haven't noticed any.

Maybe the author of that bread recipe knows something I don't (gasp), so you could follow his/her instructions, or be a rebel and do just the opposite.

cD

+1
Be a rebel Joel!

giggles1.jpg

Alton Brown of "Good Eats" TV show made some oven cooked ribs and mentioned having the shiny side facing out when they are wrapped. I forgot exactly why. I think he mentioned that the shiny side facing in would reflect more than wanted heat back into the ribs (or something like that). It's probably not that critical and he didn't overly emphasize doing so.

Last edited:
Alton Brown of "Good Eats" TV show made some oven cooked ribs and mentioned having the shiny side facing out when they are wrapped. I forgot exactly why. I think he mentioned that the shiny side facing in would reflect more than wanted heat back into the ribs (or something like that). It's probably not that critical and he didn't overly emphasize doing so.

I really like Alton Brown, and admire his food science lessons, but he and I could never cook together -- I'd have to punch him at some point. His cooking style is way too rigid for me.

This foil side thing is a classic example. I would have to see some real scientific data that would convince me that there is significant difference. Not a theoretical difference -- a real difference that you can actually taste.

CD

One of my boarder's husband worked for Alcan, so I just had to ask the question, this was about 15 years or so ago.

According to him there is no difference, as already stated, it is just from the production line.

Back in the 50's my father's company used to produce the paint used on the foil Christmas wrap, so he always came home with an armful. We loved the stuff and 5 kids would fight over them to use LOL :ROFLMAO: But even back then Dad said it didn't make any difference for cooking.

But yes, bucky it definitely makes a difference in absorption. Use triple ply foil to line your boots and quadruple for hats - make sure it is the heavy duty stuff. Ray-ban sunglasses will protect your eyes.

Last edited:
Foil Hats should always be made with Heavy Duty and in two layers, shiny inside and out. If you can form two antennae they will absorb and reflect back any cosmic rays.

OMG... THANK YOU PRINCESS!!!

never imagined the inside/outside aspect... very interesting.

But the antennae - that's genius! Going to the workshop right now!

oh dear, so sorry... have we trashed this thread?

Back
Top Bottom