Silpat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I don't have Silpat per se. Instead I have an assortment of Teflon sheets. Love 'em. Don't know how I got along without them. Gave a set to our daughter for Christmas about 4 years ago. She's a believer, too.

They're considerably less expensive than Silpat and work just as well.

Chef allowed us to take those out of our knives & cooking tools, & i haven't tried mine yet. i wanna bake cake mix cookies later, so i'll try mine then!

Yeah - what luvs said! It's a "non-stick" reusable silicone mat used for baking in place of parchment paper.

SilPat was probably the first brand to get attention in America - it's a silicone baking mat made in France that had the advantage over parchment paper (which is silicone impregnated or coated paper) in the fact that it could be reused for up to about 2,000 times at a temp of about 480ºF - which makes it cheaper per use than parchment paper.

Exopat is another French silicone baking mat that is less expensive, has a higher temp range (around 580ºF), and can be reused up to about 3.000 times - making it even more economical per use.

There are other brands, with different high-temp ranges, and number of reuses, and prices.

I have 2. They cost about $20. They are great for some things (parmesan baskets, especially), but I still use parchment for bread.
And they still smell alittle when I use them.

Question, do you have to alter the baking time with these? I've read on other threads about people having to adjust time with silicone pans so wondered if these mats change anything.

Well heck, silly me!! :blush: And I have one and use it! Shows you how observant I am!

Yes LOVE mine!

Question, do you have to alter the baking time with these? I've read on other threads about people having to adjust time with silicone pans so wondered if these mats change anything.

You have to make adjustments, either in time and/or temp, when changing pan materials in baking - silicone, ceramincs, pottery, dark gray metal, dull matte-finish silvery aluminum, shiny aluminum, glass, cast iron, ceramic coated cast iron, etc. They all have different properties of heat absorption, retention or reflection. They also make a difference in browning.

As for the mats ... I don't generally change anything. I do, however, notice that the bottoms do not brown as much as when using a greased pan or parchment paper.

Just so you know, you don't just place product on silpat and bake. Place silpat on baking sheet, then bake. It's not study enough to lay in oven on its own. - You'll see.

I haven't had to adjust my cooking time.

Yes, you need a baking sheet. I heat up my food on it and make my pizza on it. Iron Chef uses the Silpat as well as Martha Stuart. I have the baking sheet with holes in it and it makes the food taste so much better.

I have two silpats but haven't been able to use them for 3 years now since moving to Bangkok. My oven here is smaller and the silpats would have to bend up a bit on the sides just to fit into the rack. Just like I don't use some of my old baking sheets as they don't fit into the oven too.

Thanks for the info. Don't know if I'll try one or not. Since the kids have grown up, I find I'm not baking as much anymore. May have to wait for grankids to get back into the cookie baking mode. Now if I bake anything, it is usually a cake or some bar type thing.

I have the Exopat ones. Can these be used under a heavy enameled iron dutch oven to avoid scraping up the bottom of it on the oven racks do you think? I'm afraid the cast iron sitting on it might generate too much heat and melt it. Anyone try that?

I have the Exopat ones. Can these be used under a heavy enameled iron dutch oven to avoid scraping up the bottom of it on the oven racks do you think? I'm afraid the cast iron sitting on it might generate too much heat and melt it. Anyone try that?

I don't think you should worry, Blondelle. If you set your oven at 350F and put any pan/cookware in it, then it will be at 350F. The temp the oven is set at is what everything inside comes to. Cast iron will not "generate" heat.

Back
Top Bottom