SMALL Kitchen

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I so agree with you Claire!!!!!

I used to work as a "personal assistant" to a very wealthy woman who had not one, not two, but FIVE complete high-end-appliance kitchens in her main "living complex" (one in her living area, one in her office, one in her husband's office, one in the guest apartment, & one in the stable). And that's not counting all the additional kitchens in the tenant housing for "the help".

Not only did she never EVER make more than a pot of coffee, to this day she continues to use a "personal chef" who brings the already-cooked food in for all her & her husband's meals. Most of the appliances have never been used, & she has the housekeeper run all the dishwashers (empty) once a week to keep them functional. Talk about someone with way too much time & money on their hands. . . .

BreezyCooking said:
I used to work as a "personal assistant" to a very wealthy woman who had not one, not two, but FIVE complete high-end-appliance kitchens in her main "living complex" (one in her living area, one in her office, one in her husband's office, one in the guest apartment, & one in the stable). And that's not counting all the additional kitchens in the tenant housing for "the help".

Not only did she never EVER make more than a pot of coffee, to this day she continues to use a "personal chef" who brings the already-cooked food in for all her & her husband's meals. Most of the appliances have never been used, & she has the housekeeper run all the dishwashers (empty) once a week to keep them functional. Talk about someone with way too much time & money on their hands. . . .

Seems to me this woman needs to be taught the joys of "sharing.":rolleyes: At least she stimulated the economy a bit with her somewhat extravagant and multiple purchases.

My fridge isn't really in the kitchen! When people see my kitchen set up, they either love it for its quirkyness (is that even a word?) or wonder how I can stand it. The kitchen and bathroom were the last additions to the house, and the fridge and a pantry closet are actually tucked under the servants' stairs. It works for us, so I have no intentions of changing it. Like with my washer/dryer, though, it limits replacement options. It just barely fits there and there's really no other place to put one without a total remodelling job. It means no icemaker or water dispensor, but there are just two of us, so it is not a big deal. I also don't have a dishwasher, which I don't miss. To be honest with you, most dish washers and garbage disposals I've owned over the years were more trouble than they were worth. I've done a lot of home tours (our area is almost completely O-L-D) to see some absolutely beautifully remodelled kitchens, but I really don't envy them. Bathrooms are another story. If I could afford it both of my bathrooms would be re-done. Anything I do to the kitchen, though, is done with a mind to keeping that old country kitchen look -- the idea is to make it all easier to keep clean (back splashes, refinished floors). When we put in new corian counters and sink, we did something that I just love -- the sink is set in under the counter top and there's no seam to speak of. It is great for keeping it clean (especially if you live somewhere with hard water).

I spent five years living in a minute flat. The kitchen was 2 foot six by 2 foot 6. No exaggeration. The fridge lived elsewhere as you can imagine! Two soup bowls on the work surface and it was full. To cook, I had a two-burner camping type hob. Even so, we managed to eat quite well. Thank goodness for stacking steamers. And thank goodness for the nearby market that meant I could go shopping just about every day and didn't need to store food.

Corey123 said:
I once rented a one-bedroom apartment where the kitchen was so small that i couldn't get the table in it. it has to be used in the living room.

That was in the early to mid '70s.

My NYC apartment had a kitchen that when I was at the stove I was standing in the living room.

When an old factory building down the street was being converted over to condos, I once visited the model apartmeny in early October '04.

It was a studio apartment thaty features a galley kitchen complete with a dishwasher, electric stove and a fridge.

But the kitchen is opened out to the living room / bedroom area in which you can place a table there for food prep and eating. Though it looks small, there seems to be plenty of space to move around plenty of stowage space.

Another step forward in my (seemingly) never ending attempt at finding storage for all my kitchen "stuff".....

My Dining Room is a few steps away from the Kitchen. Originally it was a bedroom with built-in cabinets along an entire wall, floor to ceiling. A few people in our neighborhood ripped out the cabinets to make the "Dining Room" and "TV Room" one big room. We decided to re-do the cabinets to house all our over-flow kitchen stuff.

The big news.... They should be done in another month!!! Finally, finally, I'll have some much needed storage space. If I can figure out how, I'll post some pictures!!!

Exciting?

avalondeb said:
Another step forward in my (seemingly) never ending attempt at finding storage for all my kitchen "stuff".....

My Dining Room is a few steps away from the Kitchen. Originally it was a bedroom with built-in cabinets along an entire wall, floor to ceiling. A few people in our neighborhood ripped out the cabinets to make the "Dining Room" and "TV Room" one big room. We decided to re-do the cabinets to house all our over-flow kitchen stuff.

The big news.... They should be done in another month!!! Finally, finally, I'll have some much needed storage space. If I can figure out how, I'll post some pictures!!!

Please be sure to let me know how it is. I am just as excited as you are about not having to go 'shopping' and making a place for it. Trying to follow a recipe and looking through shopping bags is the pits. Having a doable kitchen is really a asset to the home. That and a bathroom. Two most important rooms and believe me they are both small and seem to be getting smaller.

The family t ells me at least our heating bills are not that high cause t he house isn't real big. When someone has to spend so much time in the kitchen it has a different cost to it. My mental health! I know what I cook is more healthy than eating any other way. I also know my incentive to continue is affected.

Well, good to hear about your news avalondeb and please remember to let me know. Will be kind of rough during remodeling. So always think about the change that is happening.

Take care and thanks for sharing.

You think your Kitchen is Small, Look at my BBQ!

and yes the person on the far left is eating a slice of Toast I did on it :)

bbqscale.jpg

Is that person eating toast smoking? Really, YT. After all the posts on the thread about chefs smoking in the kitchen, you're letting the side down there!

it`s not in the kitchen this was done on the bench in my old Lab, and as an experiment to see the bare minimum charcoal briquettes required to sustain a workable BBQ, and yes that person is smoking and eating, and No it`s Not me.
I`m the one holding the tenner.

Back
Top Bottom