"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 02-13-2006, 11:19 AM   #1
Executive Chef

SMALL Kitchen

I don't have any idea when we will be able to move. Been looking but problem can't find house with large kitchen. Usually houses or older or else too expensive to buy. My question: Do you feel one of those kitchen islands would be worth the invest ment? If I took out the kitchen table I could replace it wit h that. I feel like working in a closet and starts to make me nervous. Hence, seems to take unnecessarily long to prepare the meals when if things were move handly would eliminate getting things together. I am sure many of you can relate to my problem and would like to know what are your th oughts about an island vs. kitchen table? Thanks for your time and understanding.

Old 02-13-2006, 12:03 PM   #2
Everymom

Do you have a dining room ITK? I would say go for the island if you do. Otherwise you should just try to make do with the table. Islands are generally a bit taller, so that they are at the right height to work on and tables aren't. BUT...you need a place to eat!

Old 02-13-2006, 03:13 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Eat:

Oh that's right. There I go thinking of myself again (kidding). You are so kind to think about us. They would have to eat in the dining room instead of kitchen. They like to be near the food so they can help themselves. Adjustments have to be worked out someway and I just figured the island looks nice. I guess I can dream until I get something different. Appreciate your thoughts. We visited someone who had one and she said she wouldn't be without. Of course, breakfast bar, pantry, Happy she has room.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:28 PM   #4
Cook

I have found that I have to change my cooking style when I have a small kitchen. I love my mom's kitchen. It is big enough for multiple people to work in and there is a low counter for mixing.
I am going to look it the cutting boards that you can span the kitchen sink with. My new kitchen has very little counter space so I'm having to make sure I prep everything before I get started. That also makes the actuall cooking time seem to go faster.
An island would have been a good choice for my new kitchen, but I chose a metal rack so that I could keep what little counterspace I had uncluttered.

good luck. I know that a kitchen will be a priority for me when I go to buy a house. If it isn't big enough, I will make it big enough.
Old 02-13-2006, 07:50 PM   #5
Sous Chef

I can understand where you are coming from.........when we bought our house I had very limited counter space to work with { we're talking 14 inches of usable space } we were fortunate to be able to re-do ours. And added an island AND a pot rack. So I would say "go for it". And if room allows add an overhang {10-12 inches} for a "breakfast bar" which would let you still use some space for eating or entertaining. Good luck.
Old 02-14-2006, 01:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Agree

So you all agree a kitchen should be big. It truly depends on if you cook or not. Maybe if you don't just having the option is worth the investment. You all seem to understand my problem and thankful you agree with me. Since most of my family and friends work full time they all eat out or else tv dinners. They make fun and say I am not 'up with the in crowd'. When you have once prepared your own meals eating out just doesn't seem that great to me unless we go to restaurant where you have to dress for dinner. The idea of breakfast bar really sounds like something to investigate. Thank you for thinking of it. One t hing you have made me convinced to get the island and begin there. I see them in magazines but the kitchen seems big already without it. I like to look at kitchens. Guess we all do. As you said your mom has big kitchen I am happy for her. Bet she is good cook. Thanks for all you input I surely do appreciate it.

One more thing. Does anyone prefer Lowes to Home Depot ? That is where i saw the islands. Oprah goes to Home Depot.
Old 02-14-2006, 02:16 PM   #7
Executive Chef

I wouldn't think big necessarily - but certainly well designed and big enough to contain a good design. I think mine is big enough if it were just better designed. I, too, have thought about the island solution. Some even have one side for barstools, but I suppose it is sometimes easier to stick with what we have than make a decision (at least another decision).
Old 02-14-2006, 03:27 PM   #8
Executive Chef

ITK, I too, have a small kitchen. Would love to have an island, but not enough space/footage. You raise an interesting point about eliminating a seating/eating area and replacing it with an island for saving space and combining the two.

I am an avid watcher of HGTV and one of the shows I like is "I Want That." They show the latest kitchen/bath products out there and remakes of kitchen, baths, etc. I love all their shows - decorating makeovers, etc. I think the Learning Channel also has some decorating/remodeling ideas too.

Give the shows a look-see and go to their website. There are amazing ideas out there, and links to the products shown. BTW, not long ago, you could enter a contest to win a fantastic home, completely decorated with a spectacular view.
Old 02-15-2006, 12:09 AM   #9
Cook

If you want to find a kitchen Island that will function as a breakfast bar as well, I would like to suggest going to a furniture store.
As a furniture designer, I can assure you that there has been a greater call from companies in the last few years to get really nice functioning islands. You can even buy matching stools.

Maybe you know this, but incase you weren't sure were to get one that combines the funtions....
Old 02-15-2006, 07:44 AM   #10
Head Chef

To me the perfect kitchen is what you call a country kitchen. You prepair and eat in the same room. Only way to go. I think a dinning room is a waste of good space. If I could remodel my kitchen i would take out counter space that devides the kitchen and dinning room and make it one big room. Then rearrange my ccounter and cupboards.