"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-01-2007, 05:15 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to hookied_up
Talking So, I just bought a Wok...

I always loved asian cooking, and have always wanted one so I finally picked one up from the asian grocery. I will have to measure it but I am guessing it is about 14 inches across at the top. I payed about $13.00 for it. I brought it home and washed it and immediatley used it for stir fry that night. I knew I was supposed to season it but I couldn't wait.

I decided tonight to finally season it, as I type this actually. I will hopefully have an after pic soon, if all goes well. The following is the method I used.

mmm-yoso!!!: "Wokking" the Wok

So was this a good method to season my wok? Would it have maybe been a better idea to do this on the grill outside? It hasn't really smoked but did set off the smoke alarm once. I am on round 2 of four in the oven and keeping a close eye on things, with fire extinguisher ready. I used corn oil, is that OK?
Anything else I should know other than the cleaning instructions and info contained there? Tips? Tricks? Ancient secrets?

I am also looking for any new and interesting uses for my wok. So far I have made lo mein, (soft noodles, meat and veggies)and stir fry in it a couple times and it turned out great. I dont have a high output stove, just regular gas burners, so I cant get the really high heat going like they can in most resteraunts. Also it is a round bottom wok, and did not come with the ring for the bottom to make it sit without tipping over. Much better than a regular frying pan if even just for the extra room I had. I am hoping to notice a difference once it is properly seasoned. I am hoping to become a pro with this thing, so any info would be appreciated.

I will post the after pic as soon as I am done with the seasoning process.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0078.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	48.3 KB
ID:	3053   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0077.jpg
Views:	209
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	3054  

Name:	100_0076.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	3055  

Old 10-01-2007, 08:14 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

OK so I am all done (I think). It took a good couple hours and I stunk the house up pretty good, even with the windows open. I used the method described in the link above and finished off by cooking up some onion, garlic, garlic chili paste, and some soy sauce, and a few spices. Seems to be a little better as far as food sticking to the wok now.

The last pic was after I fried up the garlic and onions and stuff. I was a little worried about over scrubbing, but I went back and scrubbed the spot that looks a little burnt on. Most of it came of but I am not sure if the rest will or of it is just part of the pan now.

Judging from the pic in the link, I think I did it right. Anyone want to confirm or deny this? Suggestions for something to try next?
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	100_0080.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	58.6 KB
ID:	3056   Click image for larger version

Name:	100_0081.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	52.4 KB
ID:	3057  

Name:	100_0082.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	67.7 KB
ID:	3058  

Old 10-01-2007, 08:33 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Yummy! That looks beautiful! You must be doing something right if you can make food like that with your new wok. Congrats!
Old 10-01-2007, 11:19 AM   #4
Executive Chef

certainly an effective way

I like the salt cure method...found at the wok shop on line. Stir fry in clean dry new wok, 1 cup of sea/kosher salt for twenty minutes, moving it around. discard. wipe out the wok and oil and reheat, keep oiling with a cloth as you heat the wok. stir fry some chopped onion garlic and ginger till blackened and discard. wipe out the wok.....ready

the aromatic veggies have a chemical that removes that metalic taste from the raw steel.

It is a fast and effective method of breaking in a new wok.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:40 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

Is that technically a wok? It has a welded handle and, I gather, no ring. I've seen that advertised as a wok pan. Actually my own wok has no ring either, because it's cast iron (I regret buying it now, because it's so heavy that I use it less), but it only has the little loop handles, one on each side.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:19 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

I believe it's a wok. I don't think the attachment method for the handle or the presence or absence of a ring defines the utensil.

I've heard the woks with two loop handles are representative of Chinese style woks while those with one long handle are in the Japanese style. I have no idea if this is true.
Old 10-02-2007, 08:48 AM   #7
Senior Cook

The patina is beautiful! I always have trouble scraping the seasoning off when I stirfry! Guess I'm a little heavy handed. I used to make popcorn in mine when the kids were home. I've also found that crisco seasons the wok best. I use it all the time on my cast iron too. I brown stew meat in the wok, easier to flip around to brown all sides. Experiment and have fun. I want to be burried with my woks and dutch oven!
Old 10-02-2007, 10:23 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducdebrabant View Post
Is that technically a wok? It has a welded handle and, I gather, no ring. I've seen that advertised as a wok pan. Actually my own wok has no ring either, because it's cast iron (I regret buying it now, because it's so heavy that I use it less), but it only has the little loop handles, one on each side.

could you post a picture of yours? didn't know you could get them in cast iron, heavy yes, but I'd bet wonderful at what it's supposed to do.
had been thinking of gettng a wok for some time so bought one about a year and a half ago but couldn't figure it out, no time to want to, so returned it. if I do get one, I think I'll look for a used one, that way, it's seasoned already and therefore ready to go. We did have one in my very young married youth, but couldn't clean it right, didn't care to bust a move over trying too hard and garage sold it...
Old 10-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #9
Senior Cook

That wok looks beautiful. I don't really have anything significant to contribute. I'm now considering replacing my wok just so I can season a new one.
Old 10-02-2007, 02:11 PM   #10
Assistant Cook

It WOKS great.
It is like a totally different pan since I seasoned it. Seems to heat alot quicker and more even and is much more non-stick. I can tell I am going to be using this A LOT. I been thinking of so many things I could try in it. Even non asian things like frying potatoes or eggs. I am thinking about getting the ring for it just so its sits on the stove easier. I was worried the ring would keep it too high from the flame and I wouldnt get a high enough temp, but I am willing to give it a try.
I am going to try to throw together my basic stir fry recipe- I know there are tons on the net, but this one is the one I have been working on for years, so I am going to pay a lil better attn. to my "measurements" and see what I can come up with.