"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 02-28-2019, 12:30 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by msmofet View Post
Cas have you tried Tupperware or Pampered Chef?
Thanks but...Tupperware had like two (one too large for $49!), Pampered Chef had none. If either had ones I wanted they would have shown up in my Google search for a cake keeper. I also wanted a cake keeper, not a container I could use as one. I'm happy to have come across the one I pictured, perfectly sized. No brand name, made in China. Ordered it.

P.S. I didn't mean to hijack this thread about bread keepers.

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2019, 07:19 AM   #22
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know about other people, but I hate being told to Google something when I ask for a recommendation, especially when I ask for "... one that they use ...".
Thank you.

I also don't appreciate being reprimanded for responding to someone else's rude response to me. My sarcasm was not more insulting than their comment that I should try Googling it.

Old 03-01-2019, 07:26 AM   #23
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJoel View Post
You didn’t mention if you’d be using the storage containers to freeze or refrigerate your bread. There are several linen bread bags on Amazon that are reasonably priced and come in a variety os sizes and shapes. But I probably wouldn’t use them for freezing.

No freezing; I don't care for the texture of bread that has been frozen. I just need something to keep it from going stale for a few days while we eat it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet H View Post
I think the question asked is reasonable and have over the years I've tried a bunch of things. The best I've found is something like this: https://www.amazon.com/Large-Red-Bre.../dp/B01D2CB9J8 They come in a variety of sizes.

Bread needs to breath a little and so plastic boxes can actually accelerate spoilage.

Do you want your bread storage on the counter? Does it need to look great?
No, I don't care how it looks, just how it functions. Your point about the bread needing to breathe a little is a good one. But I always worry about too much air, because I don't want it getting stale. I've never tried a bread box, because I worried about it allowing in too much air. How long can a loaf stay in a box without getting stale?
Old 03-01-2019, 07:32 AM   #24
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenspeed View Post
I have one of these. It has an adjustable vent, as an airtight container makes the crust of an artisan bread go soft quickly.

https://www.amazon.com/Solutions-Pro...dp/B001BB2LMM/
I saw this one, but worried that it would let in too much air and make the bread stale if it was in there more than a couple days. I have zero experience with bread boxes.
Old 03-01-2019, 10:58 AM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I seal my bread up fairly air tight and store it in the fridge. It lasts quite a while without getting dry that way.

Tags
bread