"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 02-25-2019, 08:59 AM   #1
Cook

Storage Containers for Bread

I've been looking for some plastic storage containers that I can use for homemade bread. Most containers are not sized right to fit an entire loaf of bread, so I end up having to slice up my loaf, then store it in multiple smaller containers. Anyone have one that they use? Please, no suggestions for ziplock bags or plastic wrap; I don't use disposable storage.

Old 02-25-2019, 09:25 AM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGal View Post
I've been looking for some plastic storage containers that I can use for homemade bread. Most containers are not sized right to fit an entire loaf of bread, so I end up having to slice up my loaf, then store it in multiple smaller containers. Anyone have one that they use? Please, no suggestions for ziplock bags or plastic wrap; I don't use disposable storage.
I guess you should have tried Google first. I Goggled "plastic containers for bread loafs"

Old 02-25-2019, 09:28 AM   #3
Master Chef

Amazon, Target, Bed Bugs & Beyond, and Wally World all have large selections of bread keepers, sealed and breathable, in different shapes and sizes for different style loaves. Just do a Google search for bread storage containers or search the individual store web sites.
Old 02-25-2019, 10:30 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Lok & Lok makes them ,I have 2, they work well.
salt and pepper is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2019, 03:02 PM   #5
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I guess you should have tried Google first. I Goggled "plastic containers for bread loafs"
Golly gee, I never would have thought of that! What a novel idea.

I was asking for recommendations of ones that people have actually used and like, not for others to do my searching for me because I don't know how or am too lazy. I've been looking in stores and not finding anything. I looked online this morning. Most that came up in my search were for store bought breads like Wonder Bread. I don't know about you, but my homemade bread is neither that size nor shape. A few came up that might work, but not being able to see/touch them to judge the quality, I hesitate to buy, which is why I asked for recommendations.
Old 02-25-2019, 03:08 PM   #6
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by salt and pepper View Post
Lok & Lok makes them ,I have 2, they work well.
Like these? Do the snapping tabs hold up well? I had another brand that used those, and they broke off after not too much use, so I've always been a little hesitant to try other locking tab containers.
Old 02-26-2019, 11:59 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

There's no need to be insulting CubsGal. If you are asking for personal recommendations for a bread container mine would be a plastic bag. You can use it over and over until it wears out, and it's not so "disposable".

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 12:44 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CubsGal View Post
Just because something is disposable doesn’t mean you must dispose it! I use plastic bread bags that keep my bread fresh for about a week. When the bread’s gone, I reuse them. They hold up very well, and I haven’t had to buy anymore for nearly a year, and I bake quite a bit of bread.

You didn’t mention if you’d be using the storage containers to freeze or refrigerate your bread. There are several linen bread bags on Amazon that are reasonably priced and come in a variety os sizes and shapes. But I probably wouldn’t use them for freezing.
Old 02-26-2019, 06:59 PM   #9
Executive Chef

On a related note. I'm looking for a container specifically made for a two layer 8" square cake. Rubbermaid has only general purpose ones. A plastic disposable clamshell one would be nice, but you have to buy 50 of them at a time. I wouldn't mine the individual plastic clamshell square single cake containers like you see at the supermarket bakery section, but then again, I can only find them for sale in 50 to 100 piece quantities. I wish I could just buy maybe 5 or 10 of them.
Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2019, 07:34 PM   #10
Master Chef

I guess I'm not getting it. I have several lock and locks, plastic bags, and Rubbermaid containers in different sizes. Nothing has said "for breads or cakes only". So far, they've all worked just fine for storing just about anything.

Anything for longer storage, I portion out and vacuum seal for the freezer.

Tags
bread