"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Old 09-02-2004, 04:24 PM   #11
Assistant Cook
Stovetop grill

I have one of those lodge cast iron stovetop grills and use it on my electric stove. The key is to heat it on low to medium heat for about 10 minutes. That way there isn't any smoke and it works fine. It fits over the burner good as well.

jimbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
Master Chef
I have a Lodge grill/griddle and it works just fine on an electric stovetop - but as jimbo noted - it takes a few minutes to heat up. An aluminum non-stick would heat quicker - but I think it might be more prone to "hot spots". Don't know .....

Michael in FtW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2004, 09:51 AM   #13
Senior Cook
Re: Yes, that was cast iron

Originally Posted by jackdored
Yes, I was referring to the cast iron grills/griddles that are placed on the stove burners. I once had an indoor electric grill and it was a joke. It never got hot enough. But I'm sure Goodwill made some money from it.
I've been using my Lodge griddle for years on my electric stove and it works like a charm. One side of the griddle is smooth and the other side has ridges. Nothing, but nothing, cooks like cast iron and I stand behind Lodge Mfg. These people do one thing and they do it very well. Go for it, you'll love it. BTW, I also use my grill/griddle on our gas bbq for making breakfast. Eggs don't stick and ham and bacon come out perfect. Hash browns are my favorite thing to make on my Lodge grill.
VegasDramaQueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 11:14 AM   #14
Assistant Cook
Hello Jimbo - I'm new here, and I'm not a very good cook. I just bought a stove top cast iron grill in the hope I could turn out something decent. I also have an electric stove. You mention the need to heat up the grill slowly for about 10 minutes. Do you keep the heat at this low setting for cooking? Do things take longer to cook with this method than other methods? How would you grill a salmon filet, burger, or steak? I would be sooo grateful if I could get some help with this. The other night I tried cooking a burger on the highest stove heat and set off the smoke alarm 4 times! Guess that's not the way . . . Thank you, Acespot
norabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 02:07 PM   #15
Assistant Cook
I'm new here, and just addressed a question to Jimbo. Now I see there are others who have offered information about electric stove top cast iron grills. I'd welcome information from others, as well, to help me cook without burning! Thanks.
norabaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 06:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef
I agree, the lodge double burner reversible grill is fine. Let it heat slowly at first, then up the heat when you add the food. Also if you have sensitive smoke detectors, ventilate well...really well.
Robo410 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2005, 08:06 PM   #17
Master Chef
I bought my grill/griddle pan at Wal Mart.....its like the kind Rachel Ray uses on 30 minute meals. I have an electric stove and have no problem with it heating up. The only real problem I've encountered with using it on my stove is the smoke that it puts off......even with my exhaust fan on. I end up having to open up my doors. After the 2nd attempt I just put it away. The food really turned out good on it though.

Se non supporta il calore, vattene dalla cucina!
SizzlininIN is offline   Reply With Quote