Stripping Cast Iron

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Thanks @Bigjim68. I will be using my pan. I have used this method in the past although not on as gunky a pan. This one is taking longer than any other pan I have cleaned. I am not too worried about the chemical's as you pointed out.

You will love this skillet. The high sides make cleaning up the stove much easier. If you treat it right, your grand kids will love it also.

Do you know the brand? It looks to be an unmarked Lodge from the 50's or earlier. Are there markings?

Lodge made a lot of unmarked pans which were sold at large retailers such as Sears.

You are halfway there. Now you need to find a lid.

Thanks! It just says, "10 1/2" Chicken Fryer" on the bottom. I purposely looked for a generic one because I didn't want to wait to find one at a thrift store and I knew I could find a smooth bottomed one on eBay for a decent price. It ended up being less than $20 shipped. The lid that is on my cast iron Dutch oven fits it almost perfectly. It also fits my 10" Griswold. I'd like to pick upan extra though.

My friend has one of these and I borrowed hers. That's what sold me. I couldn't wait to find one.

I have a pan that looks just like that one--I bought it new in 1980. I don't use it much anymore, because it is way heavier than my 10 inch low sided skillet, but it does come out for fried chicken!

Can I ship it to you for cleaning? It needs it!! :)

Lol Saparrowgrass! I don't think you'd get it back if you shipped it to me.

We have made significant progress. I hope everyone doesn't mind the updates. Here is the latest. As you can see there are only a few spots left in the bottom. Yay! In the home stretch and almost time to season.
img_1228354_0_c69bd29067a95d29d7c6db85a961a8d5.jpg

I have a few methods I use to season but if any of you have ways that have worked well for you please, please share.

FYI. I did not remove the seasoning on the outside of the pan. Only the inside where the food will be.

Last edited:
I have been using flax seed oil, applied in very thin coats. Five or six of them. An hour in the oven at 400 +, let it cool down without opening the door. Repeat.

Time consuming, but it gives good results, and multiple pans may be processed at the same time.

I have read that flax seed oil is a really good oil to use. I may look into that. I have some bacon grease that I was thinking of using. Not sure though.

I buy alot of cast at garage sales and got some pieces that were really gross. I went to a hardware store and purchase a wire wheel that will fit into a drill and took it outside and wire wheel it all, works like a charm. Gave them a good soapy scrubbing, then reseason outside on my grill so it won't smell the house up. . Please remember to put saftey goggles/glasses on as the grim flys and occasionally a pc of wire will come off. I wish I had before pics to show you, never thought of taking pics. I got a 12" fry pan and a 5qt dutch oven for $2.00 they were so nasty people looked at me strange that i was purchasing them. Little did they know what a bargin I had.

I wish I'd taken a before picture of how built up this pan way. Anyway, it is now in the oven for its first round of seasoning. Yay! I can't wait to use it. I will post a pic once it is seasoned. It looks great!

If you have a gas grill, put the pot and lid in the grill close the top and turn the grill on high. Come back in an hour or so and it'll be clean. This method keeps all the smoke outdoors....

Do you have a gas grill?

Back
Top Bottom