"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 08-26-2016, 11:04 PM   #11
Master Chef

I have both......electric and one for the top range......I like both of them.......but if you're burning your hands it's not worth the trouble........get rid of it before you or someone else really hurt themselves...........

Old 08-26-2016, 11:41 PM   #12
Senior Cook

I have two kettles: one electric, that I use when I'm looking for water at boiling point quickly, and the tea kettle, that heats up more slowly and is better, IMHO, for good quality tea. My electric furs up very quickly whereas the tea kettle doesn't get to that point, but I'd have to be a scientist to understand why, it just produces better water for tea. To my great surprise, I discovered pretty quickly after we moved from UK to Italy, that Italians love good tea. For the coffee I have my Bialetti for the Espresso, but my friends love afternoon tea, so the tea has to be good, and the results are better with the traditional kettle. Of course, the teapot matters as well!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde

Old 08-26-2016, 11:59 PM   #13
Master Chef

I wouldn't know a good tea from a bad one...........sigh.........
Old 08-27-2016, 12:01 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

I have a Revere tea kettle with a copper bottom. I received it about 40 years ago and it is still going strong. I always keep water in it just in case someone turns the burner on by accident.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:34 AM   #15
Master Chef

expatgirl, if you do any online shopping for food, check out Harney Tea. They have a wonderful, diverse selection of teas. Their website is full of information about the different teas, with details on flavor and tea color. I've shopped their stores, stumbling upon their little shop in the home town that John Harney had first started and meeting the great man himself. I've toured their processing facility, and have shopped a number of times at their "new" store and cafe in Millerton, NY. I have found them very helpful when shopping at the store, explaining and suggesting. IF you are totally clueless when it comes to tea, you might want to send them an email asking for suggestions on the types a real novice would enjoy. I bet they could make suggestions that you would be happy with.

What I like about shopping the store is you can sniff the tea leaves, the brewed tea, and sip a few samples. Think "Penzeys for Tea". Since you don't have that luxury, I hope the website gives you some help.

Addie, those copper bottom Revere kettles are the best, aren't they? When we replaced our old electric stove with heating coils with the new, glass-top one, I couldn't use it anymore. The rim around the bottom edge that bound the bottom to the sides was too thick, and the kettle bottom didn't sit flat on the stovetop. After decades of wonderful service, I moved it to our daughter's. She has a gas stove, so I still get to use it when we're back home to visit.
Old 08-27-2016, 12:43 AM   #16
Master Chef

Thanks so much, CG........I'll give it a try though it won't be until around Thanksgiving when I return from Oman..........I really appreciate all your tips but I'm pretty much a dunce at teas ............I'll try them then.......thanks a lot for your input!!!
Old 08-27-2016, 01:07 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I don't drink regular tea very often, but I like to keep a pitcher of jamaica (hibiscus flower tea) in the fridge. Deep red, citrusy flavored, doesn't even need sugar. My freebie Cuisinart kettle makes just the right amount of boiled water to pour over a handful of jamaica flowers in my little pitcher. I don't even bother straining it.
Old 08-27-2016, 01:16 AM   #18
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Let's not get into teapots...I can see 4 from here and my back is to the room.
Old 08-27-2016, 04:22 AM   #19
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawgluver View Post
I don't drink regular tea very often, but I like to keep a pitcher of jamaica (hibiscus flower tea) in the fridge. Deep red, citrusy flavored, doesn't even need sugar. My freebie Cuisinart kettle makes just the right amount of boiled water to pour over a handful of jamaica flowers in my little pitcher. I don't even bother straining it.
This is one of the best teas for bringing down high blood pressure......well, at least for many people and it tastes delicious as well as being visually a beautiful red color! Here in Houston, you can get it at most HEB stores!
Old 08-27-2016, 09:17 AM   #20
Senior Cook

I've been reading about the quality of water for making tea and coffee. Out of all the types of water - from the faucet, and from other sources, they said that the best was spring water. Guess what guys! We have a well that we didn't know we had when we first arrived, but stopped using it because it's heavy work bringing all that water up to the top, and using the pump leaves water everywhere. I'm going to start using it again! It's also good for hand washing, and it works the muscles in your arms too. Our dog loves it too, especially in the hot weather when it's nice and cold. The tea? It's just great. All we have to do is to get the water analysed. Water for free!

di reston

Enough is never as good as a feast Oscar Wilde