"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Closed Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 10:36 AM   #141
Head Chef

Back to the topic:

I may have posted this already but it's buried back in the clutter. I own 3 pieces of cast iron cookware - 2 dutch ovens, one 5 quart and one 9 quart, both enameled; and the reversible griddle/grillpan that is part of my new GE gas range. I've only cooked on gas for the last 3 years of my 68, and my mother started me learning the kitchen little by little from the time I was about 10.

The grill pan is nicely seasoned and is great to cook with, but it does take at least 10 minutes to preheat when using the grill side because you want it smoking hot for proper sear and grill marks. Even then it's not going to sear like an open flame grill will, but for me that isn't an issue, since I don't particularly care for my steaks and chops to be charred.

I use the two dutch ovens for all sorts of foods, from soups and stews to braised short ribs and country style ribs. I use them both on top of the stove and in the oven and they are fantastic and turn out great dishes.

I also have 3 saute/frying pans (8", 12" and 14"), Bakers and Chefs brand, heavy aluminum with nonstick coating and I love all three. I also have 2 stainless frying pans, a clad Kitchen Aid 10" and a disk bottom Simply Calphalon chicken fryer, 12" x 3" deep. I know how to make every one of them work to cook the foods I want to prepare in them. Yes, it's true that they take different approaches to accomplish the tasks that I assign to them, but that's good, because different foods often have different needs.

All of this squabbling over what works best is pretty senseless. One thing I've learned from hanging around this place is that there are different ways to get the job done, and people's preferences vary, sometimes considerably. For some things there certainly are right and wrong ways to prepare them, but for most there are just different approaches all of which work. We all have different equipment to do the work, and we have different tastes, and differing levels of training, but in the end we are all here because we are passionate about cooking.

We need to keep focused on our commonality while embracing the differences. After all, it's discussing those differences that aid in learning. This would be a pretty boring forum if we all thought and cooked alike. Not all of us are going to change our preferred methods just because another says their method is better. What's best for one individual isn't necessarily better for others. They may have different heat sources, different cookware, and different tastes for the food they prepare. Different kitchen education from different regions and generations can be a heavy influence.

Let's all just have fun with cooking, whether it's a vocation or avocation, and enjoy the diversity.

Old 09-15-2015, 11:16 AM   #142
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
My mother taught me to cook on a wood burning stove. Place more wood in the stove and take the lid off and place the pan right over the fire. Direct heat. She also cooked with some very thin aluminum pots from the depression days. The kind that the man that came around and repaired any pots with a washer and screw. When she got a gas stove, she still have the same pans. My sister and I bought her a new set. She had a difficult time adjusting to the heat of the gas and the thickness of her pans that took up longer to heat. But she still managed to make some fantastic meals. I still say it is the cook, not the pan or stove, or even the type of heat that determines the quality of a meal.
I too learned how to cook on a wood stove.
My mother was a superb home cook.
We also had thin pans from the Depression days.
I have the old heavy CI pot with lid.

Old 09-15-2015, 06:51 PM   #143
Master Chef

My favorite cast irons are the large, heavy griddles. Whether square or round I use them as a comal every taco Tuesday! I actually use the 14" round flat griddle a lot.

Here's proof:
Old 09-17-2015, 09:10 AM   #144
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Okay...

Now the thread is closed.

Tags
cast iron