"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Closed Thread

Old 09-14-2014, 09:47 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Wow some great advice here on cast iron cookware and Andy gave some great advice, thanks. I have heard that if you cook fish on cast iron it absorbs the fish smell and you can't get rid of the smell ever. Has anyone had that experience?

Old 09-14-2014, 09:48 PM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by philkel View Post
Wow some great advice here on cast iron cookware and Andy gave some great advice, thanks. I have heard that if you cook fish on cast iron it absorbs the fish smell and you can't get rid of the smell ever. Has anyone had that experience?
My mum used to cook fish in a well seasoned cast iron skillet. She only ever washed it if she had cooked fish or made gravy in it. I never noticed a fish smell.

Old 09-14-2014, 09:56 PM   #43
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Frying chicken or fried anything for that matter is something I have never personally cooked in my life. I would love to give it a shot.

What type of oil is best to use? What heat do you put your stove? do you have to do anything to deal with the lowering of temp after putting food in?
How do you clean CI after all that oil?
There are many kinds of cooking oils: Some are plant-based, some are animal-based, and others are synthetics. I grew up with plant and animal-based cooking oils. For frying, you want an oil that can withstand high heat. I like corn oil for frying because it has a high smoke point (meaning it is harder to catch fire) but it does add a bit of flavor to food which puts some people off. Safflower also has a high flash point and does not add that flavor. Plus, it is a fairly healthy oil, but it is spendy compared to many other oils.

Momma used plain old Crisco. Vegetable-based, high flash point and did not add flavor to foods really.....plus, if you use the shortening, it makes pretty good pie crust...according to those who can make pie crusts. ;)

The real trick to frying is to get your oil hot enough prior to starting the frying. And to not put so much food in to fry that you significantly lower the temperature. Properly fried chicken = crispy on the outside, thoroughly cooked and juicy inside. Cooked in too low temperature = oil soaked coating and questionable inside. Too high temperature = burned outside and undercooked inside.

Using a cast-iron skillet really helps. Wash it up and dry it. Then heat it a bit to be sure it is dry and cool before putting it away.
Old 09-14-2014, 09:57 PM   #44
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

No worries. I've fried fish in my CI pans, they cleaned up fine, no fishy smell.
Old 09-14-2014, 10:01 PM   #45
Cupcake

I've never had cast iron take on a food (fish or otherwise) smell. I honestly do not see how it could.
Old 09-21-2014, 11:51 AM   #46
Cook

While on the topic of pans, can anyone go over their favorite pan. What its uses are and how to maintain it.

i've been a teflon non stick user for a while, and I have recently discovered the danger of them.
But I don't know how to use or maintain any other type of pans.

One time I made tomato sauce in a stainless steel stockpot, or aluminum. Not sure which. But I didn't stir constantly and I scorched the bottom of the pan and ruined it.

Anyone have any insight on this pan?
Amazon.com: All-Clad Stainless 10-Inch Fry Pan: Kitchen & Dining
Old 09-21-2014, 12:40 PM   #47
Certified Pretend Chef

That pan is one of my favorites. Except for cast iron, I prefer tri-ply SS pans. The tri-ply is very effective to prevent scorching/burning of food as the aluminum layer is excellent at evenly distributing heat. The pan reacts quickly to changes in heat.

All-Clad is top notch in that category. However, check out the Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars site. It offers cosmetically imperfect All-Clad for reduced prices. Well worth it.
Old 09-21-2014, 03:59 PM   #48
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That pan is one of my favorites. Except for cast iron, I prefer tri-ply SS pans. The tri-ply is very effective to prevent scorching/burning of food as the aluminum layer is excellent at evenly distributing heat. The pan reacts quickly to changes in heat.

All-Clad is top notch in that category. However, check out the Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars site. It offers cosmetically imperfect All-Clad for reduced prices. Well worth it.
How imperfect are the pans, Andy? I would not mind a scratch. I don't want gouges or huge dents though. Could you describe how irregular your experiences have been?
Old 09-21-2014, 04:16 PM   #49
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
How imperfect are the pans, Andy? I would not mind a scratch. I don't want gouges or huge dents though. Could you describe how irregular your experiences have been?
Sorry, I can't describe it. Every pan would be different. They are cosmetic and don't interfere with the function of the pan.
Old 09-21-2014, 08:04 PM   #50
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Sorry, I can't describe it. Every pan would be different. They are cosmetic and don't interfere with the function of the pan.
That's the important thing. After a year with me, my pans get scratches on the outside. Good prices! Thank you.

At CostCo today, we saw two Lodge Cast Iron skillets for $39.99. One was 10 inches and the other 8 inches, I think....

Tags
cast iron