"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Closed Thread

Old 09-21-2014, 08:50 PM   #51
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kathleen View Post
That's the important thing. After a year with me, my pans get scratches on the outside. Good prices! Thank you.

At CostCo today, we saw two Lodge Cast Iron skillets for $39.99. One was 10 inches and the other 8 inches, I think....
Check the Costco website. They have a 12" and a 10" with two silicone sleeves for the handles for $36.99.

Old 09-21-2014, 11:40 PM   #52
Cupcake

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Check the Costco website. They have a 12" and a 10" with two silicone sleeves for the handles for $36.99.
I'm sure that is it! I got the dimensions and cost off. Thank you for posting the correction. But they are made by Lodge and I thought it was a good deal!

Old 09-21-2014, 11:49 PM   #53
Chef Extraordinaire

are all lodge pieces still american made?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:05 AM   #54
Senior Cook

Ive used cast iron all my life. Wash in the sink with he rest of the dishes. I reseason them every couple years.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:06 AM   #55
Master Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
are all lodge pieces still american made?
The enameled stuff is enameled elsewhere. The CI itself is still American made as far as I know.
Old 09-22-2014, 08:45 AM   #56
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankZ View Post
The enameled stuff is enameled elsewhere. The CI itself is still American made as far as I know.
Lodge - About Us: Our History

This is their site with all you want to know.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:22 AM   #57
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
That pan is one of my favorites. Except for cast iron, I prefer tri-ply SS pans. The tri-ply is very effective to prevent scorching/burning of food as the aluminum layer is excellent at evenly distributing heat. The pan reacts quickly to changes in heat.

All-Clad is top notch in that category. However, check out the Cookware & More - Outlet for All-Clad Irregulars site. It offers cosmetically imperfect All-Clad for reduced prices. Well worth it.
Could you explain how to properly use a pan like this. I have no knowledge what so ever.

Do you need to season it? Will things stick to it? How do you preheat it and do you use butter or oil? etc etc
Old 09-22-2014, 11:46 AM   #58
Certified Pretend Chef

Food sticks to dirty pans and cold pans. So keep the pan clean and don't add foods to the pan until the pan and the fat are hot.

I use this skillet to cook meats hot and fast. I heat the pan until a droplet of water sizzles immediately upon contact. Then I add the fat, either butter or oil, and wait for it to get hot. Then I place the meat in the pan. The meat should be dry and seasoned with salt and pepper. Once the meat is in the pan, leave it alone. Don't try to move it because it's stuck to the pan. Let it cook for a minute or two. As the heat forms a crust on the meat, it will unstick itself from the pan. When that side is nicely browned, turn the meat over and repeat. Depending on the meat you are cooking, it should continue to cook at a lower temperature until it's properly cooked in the interior.

Never cut the meat open to see if it's done. You will lose all the juices. Use a digital instant read thermometer. Remove the meat to a plate and loosely cover it with foil and let it rest for 10 minutes.

When you heat meats to a high temperature, the proteins contract and the meat shrinks a little as a result. This contraction squeezes the juices out of the meat cells. When you let it rest, the meat cools, the cells relax a little, and those juices will be drawn back into the meat. That's why you don't cut meat to se if it's done. You lose the juices and end up with dry meat.
Old 09-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #59
Chef Extraordinaire

Here's lots of info from previous discussions:

Why does everything stick to my pans?

ISO help cooking with stainless steel????
Old 03-08-2015, 03:53 PM   #60
Assistant Cook

Cast iron pans are the way to go. Teflan limits the tools you can use while cooking and I find once they scratch they are no longer any good. You need to get a good cast iron pan and ensure that you apply oil after every use to build up a good seasoning which will lead it to be non-stick.

Closed Thread

Tags
cast iron