"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 03-05-2008, 12:57 AM   #11
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Aw Man, PastaKing, Pampered Chef is a wonderful thing and offering more and more for the serious cook. Wouldn't wanna be without my stoneware, or my cookware (both non-stick and stainless pieces) for that matter! Also have an old copper bottom set, a few pieces of cast iron, a Le Creuset oval casserole, some stock pots and essentials from my parents' restaurant, and a few different cutlery lines. And let's not forget pottery collections, Grandma's Currier & Ives ... love dishes, you name it, I got it. DH and girls got me the coolest immersion blender for Christmas and I'm currently lobbying for a new food processor.

My favorite? My 4.5 quart satin copper Kitchen Aid ... if only I could afford that 6 quart monster at Williams Sonoma, but $900! **choke**

Old 03-05-2008, 05:37 AM   #12
Senior Cook

No, my mom says I have too much cooking stuff already!

Old 03-05-2008, 05:47 AM   #13
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to pavellina
ok...i must admit...
i'm a compulsive buyer of glasses mugs and coffee cups.
i love them so much...
about pans and cooking toys i have not so many because i have no room enough, but the last madness is a waffle maker (never used still) and i love so much also biscuits cutters...
Old 03-05-2008, 01:47 PM   #14
Assistant Cook

My weakness is stainless All-Clad and enameled cast iron, especially Staub, and cookbooks. I haven't been really cooking that much so it's strange that I have all this, but I want it---AND it makes me very happy.

Does anyone know the rhyme or reason behind cookware junkie-dom? Why do we want all this, and why does it make us happy. THAT I'm still trying to figure out.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:06 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by plumies View Post
Hi, my name is Carol and I'm a kitchen gadget junkie. I have been so for over 20 years.
It's okay, Carol. You're among friends here and no one will judge you.
Old 03-05-2008, 02:08 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavellina View Post
ok...i must admit...
i'm a compulsive buyer of glasses mugs and coffee cups.
i love them so much...
about pans and cooking toys i have not so many because i have no room enough, but the last madness is a waffle maker (never used still) and i love so much also biscuits cutters...
I forgot coffee mugs! I love them, too, and have way too many to keep in the cupboard at any one time. I have to rotate them periodically.
Old 03-05-2008, 07:40 PM   #17
Master Chef

Women never have enough shoes.
Men never have enough tools.
Children never have enough toys.
Cooks never have enough stuff, either - and seldom have enough space to store all that they already have!

I'm constantly faced with the problem of seeing something I could use for something, something I would like to have for some reason, but faced with the reality of - Where would I put it if I had it and how often would I really use it?
Old 03-06-2008, 05:47 PM   #18
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Women never have enough shoes.
Men never have enough tools.
Children never have enough toys.
Cooks never have enough stuff, either - and seldom have enough space to store all that they already have!

I'm constantly faced with the problem of seeing something I could use for something, something I would like to have for some reason, but faced with the reality of - Where would I put it if I had it and how often would I really use it?
Ha totally true. I promised myself to acquire nothing as I am renovating my new house and everything is in storage. (I moved on with almost nothing of my own and was used to having a fully stocked high end kitchen DeMeyere LeCreuset Whustoff and all sorts of $$$ stuff)

While I miss the fancy stuff my personal taste runs to the vintage. Free of Mrs Fussysnob I couldn't resuist the urge to acquire (and dredge up the old inherited stuff) things that were more "Me" so now I am like a junkie filling my storage unit and stuffing the litte kitchen I am about to demo with stuff trading things out of storage etc.

I have a utilitarian set of muticlad cuisinart saucepans and skillets that I bought used and feel free to abuse without repercussion but I love the vintage stuff the most. I have some quite large old farberware pots and a bunch of vintage pyrex and corningware bowls and bakeware. I have 3 Griswold cast iron skillets that are battered but really sweet anyway. A couple grill pans (Lodge and LC) and a handful of old knives (a bunch of old Chicago Cutlery and some hefty antique carbon steel one of which is a Sabatier)

Nothing I have was expensive and none of it is really high end but It all has a purpose and it is all durable. I will probably fill in the middle with a couple good SS pieces and I really miss the LC so when I have the dough I will get some of that but my goal is to have a lot of different and unfussy things. My kitchen is tiny in an 1800s rowhouse so I while I love to have lots of toys they have to be utilitarian to justify thier existance. Just cant wait to have the kitchen done so I can play will all of them.

The sad cheapo Ikea pots that were supposed to get me through the renovation have been turned into dogbowls where the perform nicely.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:09 PM   #19
Head Chef

I like to buy expensive cookware 2nd hand from thrift shops and garage sales.

I am a sucker for kitchen equipment, and I need a 12 step program.
Old 04-24-2008, 04:16 PM   #20
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
A more appropriate question (for me) would be "What cooking stuff DON'T I have?"

I am kinda iffy on used dishes and cookware. Don't ask me why, it's just a hangup. I realize it makes absolutely no sense, and don't think less of anybody who does use it, I am just plain wierd. I can't even use my late grandmother's china, that's how crazy it is. Now if it were passed directly to me by someone, that might be different, but this changed hands a couple of times before it got to me. Why should that matter? I have no idea!