"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 04-24-2008, 05:01 PM   #21
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
I have a thing for trays and platters. I love them. I use them, too. Anytime anyone eats someplace other than the dining table, I have the perfect tray for whatever they are having. And Fisher (who's 5) always uses a tray with high sides so that if he spills or dribbles or drops, it's easy to clean up. Trays are my passion.

But I have a very healthy attachment to shoes, too, PastaKing!
Ditto on the serving trays and platters. Dang things are expensive though.

I'm not a gadget person. I think the most 'gadgety' thing I have is a dough scraper or potato peeler. I have fetishes for aluminum sheet pans, stock pots and grills though. Everything else "Is What It Is" I selectively add to my All Clad collection. I want pots and pans that will me used, not hidden in the back of the cabinet. I like the handles on All Clad tools because they match the pans, but I don't think I'll be spending $45 smackaroos for a sieve anytime soon.

If you don't mind 'commercial type' kitchenwares, check out Bigtray.com for some great deals. Oooh, almost forgot, lay-off my ladles!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:15 PM   #22
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
LOL!!

I moved 40 min from my closest relative for the soul purpose of being logistically silly to "borrow" my kitchen stuff!

Old 04-24-2008, 05:19 PM   #23
Executive Chef

When I moved down here I had to down size. I had a huge yard sale, which almost paid for the moving van. Most of the good stuff was kithcen stuff. I wanted to die.
Now I'm back to garage sale ing and seeing some things I had
and I want to die. Boy is it tough to have to turn away.
But some stuff you just have to have, or not give up,stuff you remember when you were a kid. That's the stuff I still won't say no to.
Keep the shoes, I'll cook barefoot any day!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:31 PM   #24
Head Chef

I can certainly sympathize, Quicksilver. When we moved down here, we had some stuff shipped, but since we were paying by weight, we were careful about it. We had huge garage sales and gave so much stuff away. The KitchenAid mixer, Cuisinart food processor, espresso maker, toaster oven, crockpot and DH's mothers' pots and pans HAD to come with us. One thing we left behind that I still almost weep about: an oval dutch oven made of cast iron and porcelain with "Waterford" stamped on the bottom. My hubby bought it at Salvation Army for $3! Oh, I wish I still had it for making carnitas. It ended up back at Salvation Army. I hope someone is enjoying it........
Old 04-24-2008, 05:36 PM   #25
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW View Post
Women never have enough shoes.
Men never have enough tools.
Children never have enough toys.
Cooks never have enough stuff, either - and seldom have enough space to store all that they already have!

I'm constantly faced with the problem of seeing something I could use for something, something I would like to have for some reason, but faced with the reality of - Where would I put it if I had it and how often would I really use it?
I think as long as you use the stuff its worth it!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:40 PM   #26
Senior Cook

My Pasta Machine is something that I just can't do without. Aside from Ravioli and other stuffed pastas, I far prefer making fresh pasta, and rolling it out by hand is just too hard.
I am currently negotiating for a mixer next, but most of the time it is books that I ask for or am given for gifts. If I can't be cooking or eating, then the next best thing is reading about it! (or posting about it!).

http://www.homemade-soup-recipes.com/
ErikC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2008, 06:26 PM   #27
Sous Chef

I have enough stuff.

No, Really, I do.

Wife shops at thrift stores. She brings home an Atlas pasta roller. Cool, we now have the machine to go with the manual that came mismatched with the Imperia roller we've had for several years.

It was $5, she couldn't say no.

I've begged her to stop bringing this stuff home because once I see it I want to keep it.

How can I say no to a squeeze the handle pancake flipper?

Or a set of consumer Henkles to go with the set of twins?

Or a Marquest bean pot?

Or, Or, Or .... !!!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 08:08 PM   #28
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz View Post
Ditto on the serving trays and platters. Dang things are expensive though.

I'm not a gadget person. I think the most 'gadgety' thing I have is a dough scraper or potato peeler. I have fetishes for aluminum sheet pans, stock pots and grills though. Everything else "Is What It Is" I selectively add to my All Clad collection. I want pots and pans that will me used, not hidden in the back of the cabinet. I like the handles on All Clad tools because they match the pans, but I don't think I'll be spending $45 smackaroos for a sieve anytime soon.

If you don't mind 'commercial type' kitchenwares, check out Bigtray.com for some great deals. Oooh, almost forgot, lay-off my ladles!
Thanks for pointing me at BigTray.com. They have lots of goodies my local restaurant supply place doesn't have. I actually love commercial stuff. It's usually very durable as well as reasonable so I don't have to worry when the kids cook. I picked up a couple of very heavy, commercial stock pots at a junk shop a couple of weeks ago for $10. I was thrilled! And ladles are very exciting to me, too. Do you have a thing for spatulas like I do?
Old 04-25-2008, 08:43 AM   #29
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fisher's Mom View Post
Do you have a thing for spatulas like I do?
Naah. I'm a tongs kinda guy.
Old 04-26-2008, 10:54 AM   #30
Assistant Cook

I'm a new "addict," I must say! I LOVE enameled cast iron cookware and the way it cooks. It's pretty and "makes me happy" looking at it when I cook:) I've recently spent a fortune on "good buys" including Le Creuset, Staub, Mario Batali, IKEA, and others. All of my pots have a special use, at least in my mind! Will I ever recover?