"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 06-28-2008, 11:44 PM   #51
Head Chef

Oh, I'm afraid I am a sucker for those little specialty items like egg slicers. Last time I was in the states I bought a wonderful little tool that takes the pit out of avocados and slices them. It works! And I love my little lime squeezer that every Mexican household has. So I have all these things in baskets on shelves in my kitchen so that they are pretty accessible, but I'll have to admit that there are some I don't use too often.

Old 06-29-2008, 12:23 AM   #52
Master Chef

I love every whisk that I have ever bought and I own five.........even found a use for my plastic whisk for use in my non-stick pans......works great for stirring in the Aveeno oatmeal bath solutions that tend to unstick like gluey clumps in your tub and disperse them evenly throughout......that whisk does the job and you have less of a mess to clean up afterwards or if you want to mix in bath salts, etc............

Old 06-29-2008, 04:44 PM   #53
Sous Chef

Oh, my....this is embarrassing. I avoid the "knives" thread, because I don't have any forged knives. I have bought them and used them, and then passed them on. They are nice, but that big fat thing at the base of the blade makes them sharpen funny after a time. Yes, I know, forged steel blades are harder than stamped steel blades, and hold an edge longer. I am not a professional cook/chef, whatever. I cook at home. I use Chicago Cutlery knives, and I have a kitchen drawer FULL of them, all blades sharp, all handles oiled. In the block on the counter, I have old-pattern Chicago Cutlery Metropolitan knives, same handle style as the walnut ones but in black nylon. Dishwasher safe. I sharpen rarely but properly, and use a ceramic stick when I do. Steel them occasionally when using, and they cut just fine. Light, nice balance, but, well, you know...a whole drawer full. Probably a hundred or so. I find them in thrift stores, and only buy the nicer ones. My current fave is my Metropolitan 641, a 6" chefs' knife, followed by the 529, a 7" serrated bread slicer, the PERFECT sandwich knife. Bowls, too, but that is already another thread.
Old 07-03-2008, 10:41 PM   #54
Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to darlenemt08
I love getting new kitchen stuff for Christmas! I'm happiest with getting kitchen stuff, a gift card to Hobby Lobby or, a gift card to a restaurant or store. I do NOT like getting clothes for Christmas 'cause I'm likely to tell the person to take it back or I'll ask for the receipt for it 'cause I'm VERY picky at what I wear...gotta wear soft stuff, certain styles & colors, & etc. I can always use some sort of a new item, whether big or small.

I've got 2 Tupperware Ultra 21 sets that my sister & I bought brand new several years ago when Ultra 21 was sold. I've slowly started picking up an occasional piece here & there for cheap prices at garage sales & thrift stores. I also like glass baking dishes. I don't bake cakes in the 9 x 13-in. pans. I bake in my glass 9 x 13-in. dishes instead and the one dish bigger than that. I bake brownies & etc. in my 2 different sizes of jelly roll/brownie pans. I have 2 of the smaller one and one of the bigger one. I also have various sizes of glass pie plates. My newest baking items are the non-stick springform pans. I've had a 10-in. pan but recently threw it away in the recycle bin. It was getting rusty and it's the regular metal kind. So, I went into a Kitchen Collection store last month and bought a set that has a 10-in. & two different sizes of 9+ in. pans. I also bought 2 of the smallest ones...my treasured babies. LOL I love small things and know that I'll eventually use them when I make half of a batch or less of a cheesecake or other thing that uses springform pans. I'm a plastic spatula and metal & round, plastic whisk collector. I have various sizes of each and each group stands up in containers next to my sister's & my stove.

A few years ago, my mom made a cover for my Kitchen Aid stand mixer. Then she's made a cover for our 4-slice toaster. She's made us a few pot holders...both squares & mitts...prefer the squares 'cause I only use the mitts under hot stuff. She made us hanging towels...fabric on the top.

Every 2 - 3 years, I tend to add a new appliance either because I need it or, I've gotta replace an old one. It's best when I ask for those for Christmas 'cause my sister will buy them for me. I don't always have room for an appliance and so, I've gotta make room for the new one. LOL

Darlene
Old 10-12-2008, 06:38 PM   #55
Assistant Cook

I think the list could be very long for me. I own all kind of weird cooking stuffs, including Chinese and Japanese cooking tools:)