What do you consider the single most useful kitchen gadget?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have got to nomiate 2 - they are a pair and without them nothing would ever get done in the kitchen; the coffee roaster and the burr grinder! No coffee no workee.:LOL::LOL:

Of course the Automatic 4 Pug Floor Sweeper is pretty handy too - don't have to sweep quite as often.:ROFLMAO:

I'd have to say my Chinese cleaver is the best.

It makes quick work of onions, bell pepper, snow peas and celerys, especially for stir frying!

Last edited:
I'm going with the more restrictive definition of gadget.

My favorite is my food processor. I couldn't make holiday meals without it.

For me, a tie between a nice knife and a large pot. You can use a pot over a camp fire or grill, so a stove isn't up there. Without a knife, what can you do? Use an axe to chop an onion finely? Without a pot, there's no where to put the food to be cooked. It cant be heaped on a pile of wood to be cooked, so a draw between a large pot and a knife. With a large pot, soups can be made, roasts can be made, anything. With a knife, food can be cut to a desired size, fish can be filleted, etc... .For stirring the pot, shake the pot and if necessary, use the knife as a spatula. All that's missing is a heating source (fire can be made) and food.

Hahaha... yeah I would have to say my 8" Chef's Knife and 8qt All-Clad Pot.

But for a "gadget"... I'd have to say one of my swiss army knives... the "Big One" that has a corkscrew, knife, scissors, can opener, bottle opener, etc.

The two items I'm never ever without are my pressurized lighter and pocket knife. Fire and a cutting edge can get you out of a lotta' tight spots.

My Vacu-Seal, I just bought it and can't stop vacuum sealling I have done nearly everything in the fridge and freezer and I'm starting on the pantry this weekend. The main reason I like it is it is a handheld model that fits into the drawer and all the bags are reusable. The old countertop I use to have just took up too much room. What a neat gadget!:chef:

I'd say my favorite gadget is either my infrared thermometer or my Pepper Ball. The stand mixers and food processors would have topped my list, but given their large sizes and broad range of uses, I don't really call them gadgets any more than I'd call a knife or pan a gadget. "Gadget" seems to connote something small, single-purposed, and mechanical or electronic (though electronic gadgets may also be "gizmos", in my opinion) in nature.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom