"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 12-03-2019, 11:11 AM   #1
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
What is the best for wiping plastic??

I did a search on Google about Microfiber cloth. It's said that microfiber cloth shouldn't make scratches to plastic but beware of any pieces of debris or dirt which would make scratches.

I bought a new PP container today and wiped it with a new microfiber cloth, but it also makes fine hairline scratches! Yes before I wipe it I had investigated that it had no any scratches so the scratches were not already there when I bought it.

In fact, What is the best and the most recommended tool for cleaning / wiping plastic-made product?? or does it always make fine scratches no matter what

__________________

kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,707
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Were you wiping with a dry or wet or damp microfibre cloth?
__________________

__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:08 PM   #3
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Were you wiping with a dry or wet or damp microfibre cloth?
Hi. Damp. But Could it make a difference??
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 05:22 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,707
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
Hi. Damp. But Could it make a difference??
I don't know. There could be tiny debris in the pile / loops of the cloth. Did you give it a good rinse before using it? Usually when someone thinks a microfibre cloth has scratched something, it was something trapped in the pile / loops of the cloth and not the cloth itself.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 08:05 AM   #5
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I don't know. There could be tiny debris in the pile / loops of the cloth. Did you give it a good rinse before using it? Usually when someone thinks a microfibre cloth has scratched something, it was something trapped in the pile / loops of the cloth and not the cloth itself.
Yes. I did give it a good rinse on any new cloth and I also know that microfiber itself doesn't scratch but the debris or dirt does. The cloth was new and I also inspected if there was any obvious debris or dirt (I think I was careful but did not use a magnifier.

But it is possibly hairline scratches only visible under direct light. Not a kind of scratches that you can feel with a finger

Could it still trap germ or release more BPA ??
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2019, 02:07 PM   #6
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
You need to wipe it with something less dense than what is being wiped.

Microfiber is basically plastic.

I would say 100% smooth cotton cloth that is damp.
strmanglr scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:03 PM   #7
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
You need to wipe it with something less dense than what is being wiped.

Microfiber is basically plastic.

I would say 100% smooth cotton cloth that is damp.
100% smooth cotton cloth that is damp will not scratch plastic surface to any extent, are you sure?
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 12:16 PM   #8
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Dec 2019
Location: Michigan
Posts: 27
How soft is the plastic?

What is it you're wiping out?

100% smooth cotton will certainly be less damaging than microfiber.

I don't know of anything softer, anyone else?
strmanglr scott is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
100% smooth cotton cloth that is damp will not scratch plastic surface to any extent, are you sure?
You are really overthinking this. No, cotton will not scratch plastic, and lightly scratched plastic will not hurt you.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:03 PM   #10
Ogress Supreme
 
PrincessFiona60's Avatar
Site Administrator
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Wyoming
Posts: 37,893
Stop buying plastic, glass only and use 100% cotton for drying.
__________________
“There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle.” - Albert Einstein
PrincessFiona60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:10 PM   #11
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
You are really overthinking this. No, cotton will not scratch plastic, and lightly scratched plastic will not hurt you.
Yes. I am really overthinking. I apologize. However, after I got to know that scratched plastic is not good and could leach more chemicals , I just start to feel uncomfortable with my plates all the time and every time I use them. I don't want to make anymore scratches to my future plastic stuff because I like plastic and I don't like glass (easy to fall and break)
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 02:12 PM   #12
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by strmanglr scott View Post
How soft is the plastic?

What is it you're wiping out?

100% smooth cotton will certainly be less damaging than microfiber.

I don't know of anything softer, anyone else?
Polypropylene container of transparent surface used to store food.

It came with perfectly glossy finish but once wiped clean by my microfiber cloth it gets fine scratches.

I thought microfiber was the best among all types of cloth and safe for all surfaces, but looks like 100% cotton is the best touch on surfaces.
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 03:32 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
Yes. I am really overthinking. I apologize. However, after I got to know that scratched plastic is not good and could leach more chemicals , I just start to feel uncomfortable with my plates all the time and every time I use them. I don't want to make anymore scratches to my future plastic stuff because I like plastic and I don't like glass (easy to fall and break)
Scratches do not cause plastic to leach chemicals, unless they contain BPA. It's pretty easy to find BPA-free plastics these days.

However, overheating will cause plastic to melt, and it could get into your food that way. Yes, glass and ceramic are less durable, but they're also more sustainable and carry no health issues, even if they get scratched.
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2019, 04:08 PM   #14
Cook
 
ScottinPollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: West slope of the Sierra Nevada
Posts: 63
If you need plates more indestructible then China, glass, ceramic, consider wood or stainless steel. Yeah, they're not microwavable, but I wouldn't be microwaving plastic plates either.
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 06:54 AM   #15
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Far East
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
Scratches do not cause plastic to leach chemicals, unless they contain BPA. It's pretty easy to find BPA-free plastics these days.

However, overheating will cause plastic to melt, and it could get into your food that way. Yes, glass and ceramic are less durable, but they're also more sustainable and carry no health issues, even if they get scratched.
A website suggests that as long as it's labelled PP 5, It's BPA-free. Is it correct? Could PP also contain BPA?
kenny1999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:54 AM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 23,371
I don't know a lot about it. What is the website?
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenny1999 View Post
A website suggests that as long as it's labelled PP 5, It's BPA-free. Is it correct? Could PP also contain BPA?
__________________
Anyplace where people argue about food is a good place.
~ Anthony Bourdain, Parts Unknown, 2018
GotGarlic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:16 AM   #17
Cook
 
ScottinPollock's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2019
Location: West slope of the Sierra Nevada
Posts: 63
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd put too much faith in "BPA Free" labels indicating an absence of endocrine disrupters... I think it is more of a marketing tag these days rather than an assurance of safety. The problem seems to be with plastics in general. Have a look at this.
ScottinPollock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 12:12 PM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 21,707
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottinPollock View Post
Unfortunately, I'm not sure I'd put too much faith in "BPA Free" labels indicating an absence of endocrine disrupters... I think it is more of a marketing tag these days rather than an assurance of safety. The problem seems to be with plastics in general. Have a look at this.
I agree. I was surprised by how carefully that video dealt with the subject.

I have been trying to avoid plastics for a while, especially for wet foods. But, while I keep avoiding them, I know that there are microplastic particles in just about everything in the food chain,and as the narrator said, we can't completely avoid plastic.

At least glass is recyclable. I was also pleased to see that I can find waxed paper in supermarkets again, so I replenished my supply.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 03:51 PM   #19
Executive Chef
 
salt and pepper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Montana
Posts: 2,583
An air hose...
__________________

salt and pepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off





Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:39 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
×