What is the best material of cloth for cleaning kitchen and dining table?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kenny1999

Senior Cook
Too many choices in the market, the feel are all different. What is the best material for cleaning (mostly drying) cookware and table made of wood?

My preference for drying dishes is linen. My preference for other things is cotton. I prefer natural fibers. Hemp is a good substitute for linen.

Last edited:
I buy microfibre towels from the auto parts section of Target (or COSTCO). They really soak up a lot of water. Plus, if they are safe for use on a Ferrari, they are safe for use on your dishes and table.

https://www.costco.com/Kirkland-Sig...6-in-x-16-in,-36-count.product.100356999.html

For big jobs, like drying a wet poodle, the large waffle-cloth microfiber towels are great.

CD

Well, they won't scratch the surfaces. I use them for cleaning my glasses (spectacles). I learned about them in a car detailing forum. I never thought about using them for drying dishes, but they probably would do a good job.

I usually use J-Cloths for cleaning kitchen surfaces. I think they are the same thing as HandiWipes. The benefit is that they can dry really quickly if hung up and then don't harbour microorganisms.

Well, they won't scratch the surfaces. I use them for cleaning my glasses (spectacles). I learned about them in a car detailing forum. I never thought about using them for drying dishes, but they probably would do a good job.

I have used them in a pinch to wipe my cameras and lenses. I always have a couple in my camera bag.

I have a ton of them -- some for indoors, some for the cars. I never mix the two. I keep a basket in the laundry so I can use them in the house, and toss them in the basket to be washed.

CD

Probably all that cotton in the rag bag in my workshop would be good, but they wouldn't look very good hanging in my kitchen! :LOL:

Probably all that cotton in the rag bag in my workshop would be good, but they wouldn't look very good hanging in my kitchen! :LOL:

I hope all those rags are stored safely, especially used ones. Chemical soaked rags can self combust.

CD

Don't worry CD - I don't keep any used ones, except draped over the edge of the trash can, to dry out. The bag is all old stuff, washed, and brought down to the bag, for when I need them.

My preference for drying dishes is linen. My preference for other things is cotton. I prefer natural fibers. Hemp is a good substitute for linen.
In my other life. before I had to take care of The Elders, I used to weave. I would weave linen dish towels. I like the linen dish towels from Ireland my Mom has. I want to weave again, some day.

Is all kind of cloth marketed to be "micro-fibre" the same as you and he said?

Is all kind of cloth marketed to be "micro-fibre" the same as you and he said?

Microfibre cloth can be made of various materials. It also comes in a terrycloth version and a smooth silky version. There are some variations in quality, but they do tend to be very good at not scratching surfaces. Of course, if one makes the effort to use them wrong, they might be able to scratch something. The terrycloth ones are quite absorbent.

Is that what you meant?

by the way, is micro-fibre or cotton safe for all surfaces?

Micro-fibre is safe for all surfaces. I use them on everything. I have three different colors. One color is only for drying things that are clean. Another is more general purpose. The third color is for heavier cleaning where they will probably get stained.

When they get really stained or worn, they become "garage towels."

I also keep a clean one on my desk to clean my reading eyeglasses.

One warning, make sure surfaces such as a ceramic cooktop are not hot. They melt. Guess how I know that. :rolleyes:

CD

Last edited:
Kenny, if you do get some microfibre cloths, here's a tip: don't use fabric softener on them. I have been told it gums them up.

Yes, don't use fabric softener. None of those dryer sheets, either. Machine wash in warm water, regular detergent. Machine dry at a low temperature -- they dry really fast, too. Maybe 20 minutes.

CD

Back
Top Bottom