"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-19-2013, 01:39 PM   #1
Executive Chef

What is this pan for?

I saw this 3 piece set on another forum and no one knew what it was.
Some are guessing its a stove top smoker.
I did too, until I saw the plastic hose attached. Now I have no idea. I hope someone may recognize it and tell me what it is.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Pan with Plastic Hose.JPG
Views:	176
Size:	87.2 KB
ID:	19785  
Attached Images

Old 11-19-2013, 01:50 PM   #2
Master Chef

steamer of a sort, maybe...

Old 11-19-2013, 02:00 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Here is the actual question to go along with the two photos.

"Does anyone know what type of pan this is?

It was offered to me as a jam pan, but when I saw it, I realised it wasn't.

It is in 3 sections and a lid: The bottom section is just a normal 2 handled pan. The middle section has an upward pointing funnel ( as though to let steam or smoke rise from the bottom section)and a permanently attached drainage tube so that liquid cant collect there. The top section is basically a large colander.

I did wonder if it was a stove top smoker, but I can't imagine that anyone would produce a pan that is meant to go on the stove with a plastic drainage pipe which could easily melt or catch on fire.

Any suggestions"?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:14 PM   #4
Sous Chef

why the assumption that all three pieces are / must be used "simultaneously?"

it's a pan, with a steamer insert.

the second insert similar to a tube pan, could be a tube pan for "cakes" cooked via steam.
or a beer-can-butt chicken.

I see the coiled up hose. has metal fittings on the end?

I see nothing in the photos where such hose with fittings would attach. raises the question - is the hose remotely related to the pan(s) / pot(s)?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
steamer of a sort, maybe...
nearly there charlie!! we had one similar,at home,when we were kids.it's for extracting juice from fruit using steam.water goes in the base,the middle section fits over the base,the colander top goes on that,filled with chopped up apples or whatever.lid goes on,bring the water in the base to the boil,steam rises up through the funnel,extracts juice from fruit in colander,condenses,and drips down into mid section then out through the drainage hole/pipe.works a treat too!!
Old 11-19-2013, 02:17 PM   #6
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post

the second insert similar to a tube pan, could be a tube pan for "cakes" cooked via steam.
or a beer-can-butt chicken.

Isnt that the lid?
Old 11-19-2013, 02:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
nearly there charlie!! we had one similar,at home,when we were kids.it's for extracting juice from fruit using steam.water goes in the base,the middle section fits over the base,the colander top goes on that,filled with chopped up apples or whatever.lid goes on,bring the water in the base to the boil,steam rises up through the funnel,extracts juice from fruit in colander,condenses,and drips down into mid section then out through the drainage hole/pipe.works a treat too!!
i seem to remember mum using the juice extraction for jam making,rb.so the original description of jam pan isn't that far off the mark either.
Old 11-19-2013, 02:28 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cobean View Post
Harry,you are obviously spot on. A little bit of thought brought me to the same conclusion (once I heard the term - Jam Pan). It's like a coffee percolator, with steam rising from the tube, condensing, and dripping down from the lid, onto, in this case, fuits, or mashed fruit pulp. The colander part traps seeds. I would think this device is for jellies rather than jams.

You could also fill it with coffee grounds and make a large batch of coffee. me, I couldn't/wouldn't do that. I would definitely use it for making jams/jellies. I might even use it like a tagine, or to steam veggies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Horth

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2013, 02:29 PM   #9
Wine Guy

Harry hit the nail on the head. It's a steam juicer.

They're not as popular over here, but I have a number of friends in the UK who use these to extract juice from fruit for winemaking. Elderberries, blackberries... that sort of thing.

Victorio Stainless Steel Steam Juicer
Old 11-19-2013, 02:41 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
Harry,you are obviously spot on. A little bit of thought brought me to the same conclusion (once I heard the term - Jam Pan). It's like a coffee percolator, with steam rising from the tube, condensing, and dripping down from the lid, onto, in this case, fuits, or mashed fruit pulp. The colander part traps seeds. I would think this device is for jellies rather than jams.

You could also fill it with coffee grounds and make a large batch of coffee. me, I couldn't/wouldn't do that. I would definitely use it for making jams/jellies. I might even use it like a tagine, or to steam veggies.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the Horth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
Harry hit the nail on the head. It's a steam juicer.

They're not as popular over here, but I have a number of friends in the UK who use these to extract juice from fruit for winemaking. Elderberries, blackberries... that sort of thing.

Victorio Stainless Steel Steam Juicer
chief/steve.both spot on too!!i'm sure,as well as jam making,mum used it to steam puddings,sterilise jars for jam making &,as a keen wine maker,used the extractions to make cider & all manner of fruit wines.happy days chaps,happy days!!