What is your favorite kitchen tool..pan...appliance?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Geez, where to start...

I have some All-Clad and Caphalon pans, which I dearly love. I also have three Lodge brand Cast Iron skillets, which I baby. I have some half-way decent knives, Chicago Cutlery, which is made by Dexter-Russel, probably one of the best domestic knife brands, IMHO. I just bought an electric griddle this past winter, which comes in handy when I need to make a tall stack of pancakes for all the kids, or a mess of grilled cheese sandwiches. I can use it to make a lot of other sandwiches, quesadillas, etc. I also bought a countertop deep fryer, and let me tell you, my kids love my fried chicken! I used to have an emersion blender (what Emeril calls his "Boat motor). It developed a crack in the housing at the blending end, and there was no way to keep it sanitary, so I had to chuck it. I desperately want a new one. I have a KitchenAid 5 qt stand mixer, which I like to use.

I have a lot of "gadgets" that I don't really use that much. When I moved to MI, I got rid of A LOT of my "gadgets", but still have quite a few.

Now, for work, I have a set of German knives that I baby. They serve me well. I have some other tools, like measuring spoons, meat tenderizer, and some Garde Manger tools that I sometimes use, but mostly, my French knife, paring knife, serrated bread knife, steel, and my peeler are what gets used a lot.

My bread machine, my 9x9 stonewear casserole dish, egg seperater(I hate sperating eggs by hand, YUCK), & my kids(not really gadgets, but a big help & lots of fun in the kitchen).

Two things:

Henkels knives and a knife that was made for me by a man I met while travelling in Japan.

And espresso machine, which I brought with me from Italy. That and dozens of bags of Kimbo.

My Hobart N-50 mixer, Sabatier carbon steel knives, Le Creuset cookware, Robot Coupe RN food processor, butcher block table, and my marble pastry counter are my favorite.

I sacrificed big time to buy them, and I cherish every piece [even though I bought most of it used].

my george forman grill. i love that damn thing.
oh and the garbage disposal... now if only the
stupid dishwasher worked...

a pair of long chopsticks - use it for everything from cooking pancakes to beating eggs to mixing together a cake mix to cooking pasta

My favorite tool is my brain, though somtimes the blasted thing just own't work right :) . After that, I love my cast-iron, and mostly, my Croma, Porsche designed 10" chef's knife. Then, my SS pots.

My favorite item period is my wife who I have to go ustairs and see as it's 2:00 a.m. and I've got to get up in the morning for church.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

My kitchenaid mixer. I belong to a "mommy" site where all the women met when we were pregnant with our almost three year olds. the site is still together and just this morning, one of the moms asked me about kitchenaid stand mixers (i'm the resident baking fanatic).

I also have one of those scraper things which i love. also works really well for slicing mandelbred.....since it needs to be sliced while still warm. great for cutting things like brownies b/c you can make the cuts relatively straight.

LOL.

Great thread!

Laur

Thought choclatechef sounded familiar ... HI leolady!!!

I would have to say the same thing I said before in another place - my knives. I, too, have 20-yearold Chicago Cutlery - not the most expensive but I treat them right, keep them sharp, and they do the job without cutting me. :D

Michael in FtW said:
Thought choclatechef sounded familiar ... HI leolady!!!

I would have to say the same thing I said before in another place - my knives. I, too, have 20-yearold Chicago Cutlery - not the most expensive but I treat them right, keep them sharp, and they do the job without cutting me. :D

Hi Michael! Glad you "recognized" me!

my Kitchenaid K5-A mixer (Hobart made them back then) purchased used in '77 from a local bakery that went belly up plus the all metal attachments I acquired for it over the years (the plastic ones just don't hold up).

Hubby and I agree, a great French knife is the most important. You have to understand that we've moved often, and sold or given away our kitchen many times over. But you can fix anything with a great knife, even if your pans are loaners or el cheapos. I also cook at freind and family houses, and always regret not bringing my own knife. There are a lot of things you can manage with, but a good knife cannot be beat.

Better late than never...:rolleyes:

My 10" chef and 3" utility knifes. And my Frigidaire 36" glasstop range. Toss in my nylon tipped spring tongs (to keep my nonstick pans nice) and I hardly need anything else. :LOL:

choclatechef said:
My Hobart N-50 mixer, Sabatier carbon steel knives, Le Creuset cookware, Robot Coupe RN food processor, butcher block table, and my marble pastry counter are my favorite.

I sacrificed big time to buy them, and I cherish every piece [even though I bought most of it used].

Gosh, a Robot Coupe RN food processor. Yup, it looks like I need to replace a cuisinart with one of those. As for my favorite gadget/appliance? My Berkel 10 quart mixer, of course. With that machine, I can beat as little as two egg whites (and that's a smaller amount than a Sunbeam Mixmaster can do!). Or, I can make 4 full-sized loaves of french bread if I please (yes, 14 cups of flour!). It has never hesitated when making cookies, nor has it never winced at a stiff pizza dough. It just keeps going, and going, and going....

And using it? Man, It's the most perfect size tool I could find for myself. It's, it's, like "home" to me... It's sort of like... Well, it's like it grew into an apendage, or a third arm if you would. If I want to stir something up, it's there. If I want to beat a couple sticks of butter over my frustrations, it's there. If I am starving for copious quantities of sweet rolls, it's there! It's, it's, it's... Oh, I'm just nuts over that thing. :chef:

MrCoffee

I give my KA mini-chopper a workout all year 'round. My bread machine gets a lot of work the half of the year that isn't fishing season. During fishing season, it becomes more of a rainy day thing.

Back
Top Bottom