"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 01-14-2013, 05:22 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I like my glasstop and its ease of cleaning, and have no problems using CI on it either. Sorry about the warped pan.

Old 01-14-2013, 05:23 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Vita's right. Its perfectly fine to use it on a glass top stove.

The manufacturer tells you that because they dont want to pay out during the warranty period if you scratch or break the top.

Performance wise there are no issues.

Vita, I dont know that there is any way to fix that once it's warped.
Ha! I bought a unit with a bridge burner just so I could use the lodge griddle. After reading the instructions, I decided against using it. Guess my next batch of Pfannekuchen will be done on the griddle! However, I will continue my "blackening" process outside!

Old 01-14-2013, 05:34 PM   #13
Master Chef

A little off topic, but I have Griswold, Wagner, and Lodge Cast Iron, and another brand that is new, that I can't remember right now. The Lodge and the other new brand were both fairly grainy to begin with, but as I've used them, they've smoothed out for the seasoning oil that accumulates between the grains, and are now as smooth and stick-free as my Wagner and Griswold. The advantage of using them is that they cast with move metal, giving them more thermal mass. This is beneficial when pan frying something like a steak, or pan frying chicken in oil. The temperature is more stable once the pan is hot. The thinner Griswold is better for frying eggs, and making roux, and such things. The main problem I have with the Griswold and Wagner pans is that they are hottest where the flame touches the metal, enough so as to make me have to move things like chops, steaks, and bacon around to get them evenly cooked. My little Griswold 6 inch pan, however, is small enough that when heated by my gas burners, it gives me even temperatures across the pan, which is great for making English Muffins, or frying eggs, or any small job.

Now my ten inch Grizwold makes amazing pizza crusts in a 460F' oven. The big Lodge does the same on my Webber charcoal grill. I think the Griswold would get too hot and burn the crust bottom before it was cooked through.

There are benefits to all of my CI. I don't own any junk CI pans. They are all well made, if some weigh just short of a ton.

As for warped pans, they make great campfire pans, and are good for drilling, grinding, and turning into clocks to add a rustic charm to your kitchen.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 06:02 PM   #14
Head Chef

You might try using a trivet or defuser to keep it away from the surface.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:33 PM   #15
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post

Now my ten inch Grizwold makes amazing pizza crusts in a 460F' oven. The big Lodge does the same on my Webber charcoal grill. I think the Griswold would get too hot and burn the crust bottom before it was cooked through.

There are benefits to all of my CI. I don't own any junk CI pans. They are all well made, if some weigh just short of a ton.

As for warped pans, they make great campfire pans, and are good for drilling, grinding, and turning into clocks to add a rustic charm to your kitchen.

Seeeeeya' Chief Longwind of the North
Great idea about the pizza! I can use it in the house for pizza.
Old 01-14-2013, 07:09 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by VitaWright View Post
Great idea about the pizza! I can use it in the house for pizza.
+1
Old 11-12-2013, 01:47 PM   #17
Executive Chef

I know exactly how to remedy the situation.

Take your pan and lay it on hard sturdy surface bottom side up. Handle off to the side. Off of the surface. You do not want to bend the handle! Protect the surface with cardboard or towels folded up.

Take a rubber mallet and give it a good smash right in the middle.
Check on stove to see if you leveled it.
You may have to do this more than once depending on how hard you hit it.

I have to do this with my AL fry pans on rare occasion. It works and will flatten the pan perfectly. CI will be harder to do this with. So use caution of have someone do it for you. It really is easy.
Attached Images

Old 11-12-2013, 02:15 PM   #18
Master Chef

A rubber mallet may work on thin alloys but I doubt it'll even make a scratch on CI.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:36 PM   #19
Certified Pretend Chef

With a brittle metal like CI you run the risk of cracking the pan. Relegate it to the camping equipment or use it on the grill.
Old 11-12-2013, 02:39 PM   #20
Admiral of the Texas Navy

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
A rubber mallet may work on thin alloys but I doubt it'll even make a scratch on CI.

I've done this with steel pans but used a 3# sledge. Worked like a charm. Cast iron tends to be brittle. A good smack with a hammer may crack the pan ruining it beyond all repair.