"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 11-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #21
Master Chef

Rubber mallet would not even scratch the surface of the cast iron pan. If you want to try, get one of those small gas tanks plumbers use. Heat up the pan really well, get a big hammer and try to pound out the flatness. You would also need straight age to be able to check what you are doing. Doubt it will help though.

Old 11-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #22
Master Chef

Just realised it as an old thread.

Old 11-13-2013, 03:27 PM   #23
Executive Chef

I do agree it could crack the pan and CI is extremely hard. But worth a try.

I have done this with my aluminum everyday pan and I do understand it is much softer. But I would still try it.

Yes, I also see its an old thread.
Old 11-14-2013, 05:16 PM   #24
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
I do agree it could crack the pan and CI is extremely hard. But worth a try.

I have done this with my aluminum everyday pan and I do understand it is much softer. But I would still try it.

Yes, I also see its an old thread.
Well I think you should heat it till it glows, put in on a suitable anvil, and beat it with iron-working tools. Then sand it to a polished, shiny finish. Then, use a micrometer to measure the thickness of the entire bottom, to make sure it's even, and finally, place a metal rull on the inside bottom to verify that it is perfectly flat.

And if you don't want to go to all that trouble, go to your nearest hardware store and pick up a new one for $20.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2013, 05:26 PM   #25
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I've heard this comment countless times.

I'm here to say that while the smoother finish of the older pans may please you more than the slightly less smooth finish of a new Lodge, it makes no difference in the non-stick properties. I have a contemporary Lodge 12" skillet and I can fry eggs and and slide them into a dish no problem.

So it may be prettier but not necessarily better.
I too have a couple of CI pans with a rougher surface. They work just as well as do my Griswold pans, though since they are much heavier, thicker metal, they take more horsepower to lift and manipulate. But that's ok. I still have the strength, and desire. (But I still like my Griswold pans better.)

I think that with a good, D/A sander, and the right emery cloths, I could wet-sand the heavier, and coarser Lodge pans until they were thin and smooth as the Griswolds. But that just seems like a lot of work. I think I'd rather be working on my novels, or tying flies.

I tell ya, tying flies is no easy task. They usually object and squirm a lot. And trying to get individual knots on those tiny legs, well, it's a challenge. Besides, it was difficult to make such tiny furniture to tie them to. I tried to gag them once. But I had to give up. I couldn't find small enough socks to stick in their proboscis's.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 11-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
...I tell ya, tying flies is no easy task. They usually object and squirm a lot. And trying to get individual knots on those tiny legs, well, it's a challenge. Besides, it was difficult to make such tiny furniture to tie them to. I tried to gag them once. But I had to give up. I couldn't find small enough socks to stick in their proboscis's.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Chief, duct tape!

Besides, the extra mass of the Lodges just enhances the benefit of a CI skillet. More mass holds more heat.
Old 11-14-2013, 10:30 PM   #27
Master Chef

Quote:
Chief, duct tape!

Besides, the extra mass of the Lodges just enhances the benefit of a CI skillet. More mass holds more heat.
Andy, again I agree with you, and add that the thicker metal has fewer hot-spots and cooks more evenly. It's all good.

And just who were you saying to use the duct tape on, hmmmm?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 11-14-2013, 11:30 PM   #28
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
...And just who were you saying to use the duct tape on, hmmmm?

Seeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

The flies, of course! And maybe a small strip to block the long wind that blows in from the north on occasion.
Old 11-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #29
Master Chef

Quote:
The flies, of course! And maybe a small strip to block the long wind that blows in from the north on occasion.
Tis an odd thing, my 12 inch Lodge, after many years of use, has a smooth cooking surface. Go figure. CI just keeps getting better and better over time. When you give it as a gift, it's truly the "gift that keeps on giving".

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Old 11-15-2013, 10:02 AM   #30
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Tis an odd thing, my 12 inch Lodge, after many years of use, has a smooth cooking surface. Go figure...

I assume that's the ongoing seasoning filling in between the bumps.