"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories
Click Here to Login

Old 08-18-2017, 10:11 AM   #11
Master Chef

I've had several deep fryers and this last time I chose a Krups deep fryer because I want reliability and I have never had a problem with Krups' products reliability.

The deep fryer I had before I bought the Krups was a Cuisinart and it had the basket sideways which made it next to impossible to empty the basket onto paper towels on the counter without dripping oil all over the place, so stay clear of those.

Old 08-18-2017, 10:54 AM   #12
Master Chef

Like a lot of home appliances, I stay away from gimmicks and doo dads. Half the time you are paying for functions that you'll never use or don't really do what they promise..I get the most basic stuff. Less things to break, cheaper to buy...Mine disassembles, the tank comes right out of the body so you can submerge or soak it in the sink..It has one thermostat and that is it for controls. I usually over fill mine with oil and am careful what I fry or how I put it in the oil...I think they design it to be as safe as they can make it, but that effects the performance IMHO.
The best toaster I ever owned was an 8 dollar one from Canadian Tire..still have it. Lasted longer than 40 dollar ones..

Old 08-18-2017, 11:19 AM   #13
Certified Pretend Chef

When my EuroPro died, I switched to a large pot and a thermometer for deep frying. Works great and it's actually easier to clean.
Old 08-18-2017, 09:30 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

I would suggest one with a submersible heating element, they will recover temperature faster.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 09:34 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
1. How does the wattage affect the fried food? Does higher wattage mean faster oil recovery time and higher maximum temperature?

That is it. The higher wattage will allow the fryer to recover quicker so you can fry more at one time.

2. What feature(s) is a must in a deep fryer other than thermostat?

A removable tank. It helps with straining the oil and clean up.

3. What materials should a good fryer be made of? Stainless steel?

Mine is not SS but if I used it more then I guess SS would be nice.

4. Do restaurants use gas or electric fryer and why?

The folks that I know in the bus say gas, cheaper to operate. But they are fying all the time.
At work we switched from gas fryers to electric with our remodel. I much prefer the electric. The gas was fine, but the flame had to heat the pot which heated the oil, so recovery time was longer. The electric ones have elements that are submerged in the oil and preheat and recovery are very very fast. They were both heavy duty pro models, but when I'm doing a high volume of frying the electrics are a pleasure to use.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2017, 11:47 PM   #16
Head Chef

I went through the same process about a year ago.

1. Being able to take it apart easily for cleaning is important. My heating element/controller, and the oil container can easily be removed for separate cleaning. I can even put the oil container in the dishwasher.

2. Heat recovery is important, but most home fryers are small enough to do that pretty well.

3. Lid or no lid, you are going to make a mess. I put a big piece of aluminum foil down under my fryer when I use it, so I can wad it up and throw it away when I am done.

In the end, I went with the Presto ProFry fryer. There are others that are very similar. That one just seemed to fit my needs at a decent price.

https://www.target.com/p/presto-174-...2/-/A-10425373

BTW, I used to have a FryDaddy. It is wonderful, for small batches. Bare bones, but it did a good job. And YES, you can still get them...

https://www.target.com/p/frydaddy-el...yer/-/A-595674

CD
Old 08-19-2017, 06:21 AM   #17
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
When my EuroPro died, I switched to a large pot and a thermometer for deep frying. Works great and it's actually easier to clean.
+1. We have a deep fryer that sits on a shelf, since we have opted for Andy's choice. If we were looking for a deep fryer, my first question to myself would be "How often are we going to use it?"