"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 01-07-2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

What to look for in a deep-fryer?

What should I look for in a deep-fryer?
I'll probably use it for deep-frying fried chicken and I'd like to get a result that's comparable to restaurant's.

I've done some research, but I just want to get more opinions from you guys.

1. How does the wattage affect the fried food? Does higher wattage mean faster oil recovery time and higher maximum temperature?
2. What feature(s) is a must in a deep fryer other than thermostat?
3. What materials should a good fryer be made of? Stainless steel?
4. Do restaurants use gas or electric fryer and why?

Thanks!

Old 01-07-2010, 08:21 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Having used three different models throughout the years, I have come to a definite conclusion or two:

I wish they still made Fry Daddys! Why? 1.) Because much of what I fry is in small quantities, and 2.) because the biggest pain about using a deep fryer is cleaning out the old oil. I would much rather have a smaller tank to clean than a large one! Draining a big fryer, turning it upside down over a disposal container and then wiping out the mush at the very bottom, is a nasty job. AND it uses a lot of oil... an expense that I'd rather keep to a minimum.

Fancy, large stainless steel fryers look great!!! - BUT unless you have someone else handy to clean it out once in a while... well, I'd pass for something a little more practical and easy to use.

Old 01-07-2010, 08:34 AM   #3
Head Chef

1. How does the wattage affect the fried food? Does higher wattage mean faster oil recovery time and higher maximum temperature?

That is it. The higher wattage will allow the fryer to recover quicker so you can fry more at one time.

2. What feature(s) is a must in a deep fryer other than thermostat?

A removable tank. It helps with straining the oil and clean up.

3. What materials should a good fryer be made of? Stainless steel?

Mine is not SS but if I used it more then I guess SS would be nice.

4. Do restaurants use gas or electric fryer and why?

The folks that I know in the bus say gas, cheaper to operate. But they are fying all the time.
Old 01-07-2010, 08:44 AM   #4
Chief Eating Officer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selkie View Post

I wish they still made Fry Daddys!
They do. See here.
Old 01-07-2010, 09:35 AM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

To add to what others have said, look for the largest oil capacity you can find. More oil gives you a faster temperature recovery time. Most home fryers will have about the same wattage because of the limitations of home electrical systems. Most home circuits are wired through a 15 amp fuse/circuit breaker. With 120 volt of electricity in the home, that's 1800 watts max before the fuse blows. (volts times amps=watts)

I have a stainless steel Europro with a removable tank and a thermostat. It has 1700 watts and holds about 20 cups of oil.
Old 01-23-2016, 10:18 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

I find that having a cover over the basket is great, no burns!

Also, I like fryers with 2 baskets, so that I can multi-task. Am I the only one?
Old 01-23-2016, 10:22 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

Hey guys, I'm looking for a new deep fryer but I'm not sure which one to get. It's for a home kitchen, and I deep fry maybe once a week. I found a list of the 10 best deep fryers at deepfryerreview.com , anybody have any suggestions??
Old 01-23-2016, 11:51 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestespresso101 View Post
Hey guys, I'm looking for a new deep fryer but I'm not sure which one to get. It's for a home kitchen, and I deep fry maybe once a week. I found a list of the 10 best deep fryers at deepfryerreview.com , anybody have any suggestions??
Unless you want to deep fry large quantities of food, a Fry Daddy is inexpensive and only uses a few cups of oil.
For example I can fry 6 whole chicken wings at one time. I might could get more in there, but I don't want to crowd it.

With a Fry Daddy, you don't get a lid or basket. You also cannot adjust the temperature. What you get is a quick and easy way to fry things in small batches using very little oil and the fryer is easy to clean.
BTW, I understand they are quite inexpensive.
Old 01-27-2016, 05:41 AM   #9
Assistant Cook

Deep frying, when done correctly and at proper temps can sometimes add less fat then sauteing does. It depends on how hot your oil is. Olive oil is traditionally used for deep frying in Spain and Italy, although you can't fry things at high temps. Deep fried in olive oil fresh anchovies are nothing to sneeze at, nor is any sort of frita mista.

Coconut and palm oils have a bad rap, one I think is undeserved. Check out
For Thais, palm oil always has been a good thing - SFGate
for a start on looking up more recent and less flawed research on using these fats in cooking and how they relate to health.

For deep frying, I like peanut oil and lard (which is out of the question for Hanukkah treats I know). I find canola oil to smell so wretched I can't stand to use it in the house, and I'm not convinced it's really all that beneficial to use. Sunflower works nicely though it doesn't get as hot as peanut.
Old 01-28-2016, 11:25 PM   #10
Cook

One important thing which is also important to see is its removable parts. The fryers with more removable parts will be easier to clean. To simply drain the oil away some fryers have drainage tubes also which enable draining. Some fryers have a permanent filter, which is washable and only needs to be changed if damaged. Dishwasher safe parts will also make cleaning simple.