"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 10-31-2005, 03:21 PM   #1
Chief Eating Officer

Question What to look for in a Turkey Fryer Rig

My brother is going to buy a turkey fryer rig for this Thanksgiving (YAHOO ). What are the differences between rigs? What type of things should he be looking at when deciding which to buy. I know stability would be a big one, but what else should things he consider?

Old 10-31-2005, 03:46 PM   #2
Certified Pretend Chef

The pot should be good sized, 26-30 quarts in size to hold a decent turkey. Some are tall and narrower while others are squat and wide. I think the taller ones are better able to take the turkey without overflow.

All appropriate components should be UL approved.

Your kit should include a regulator and connecting hose, a long probe thermometer with a clip, a shelf or basket that fits the pot and a hook to remove/lower the basket/shelf and a lid for the pot (not to be used for hot oil).

The gas flow adjustment should be at the far end of the hose, not at the burner.

Pots come in aluminum or stainless. Either will do.

You should also have a heavy oven or fireplace mitt, a fire extnguisher and very large piece of cardboard, or a tarp to put under the rig to keep spattering and spilled oil off you deck or patio.

A copy of the deep fryer rules AllenMI posted last week.

Old 10-31-2005, 07:52 PM   #3
Sous Chef

We bought stainless steel on the advice of others and are happy with it. Deep fried turkey is wonderful.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:56 PM   #4
Head Chef

GB, when DH was looking for his one of his big things (in addition to the quality of the pot) was the stability of the stand. He said he noticed that the cheaper fryers had legs that didn't seem as sturdy as the ones just a little more expensive.
Old 10-31-2005, 07:59 PM   #5
Sous Chef

htc, I'd forgotten about the legs, but I remember when we bought ours, we opted for a more expensive one because the legs seemed sturdier and when you are dealing with all that hot oil safety is a major concern.
Old 10-31-2005, 08:05 PM   #6
Head Chef

Purr, yup that was our thinking as well.