What type of cutting board?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use High Density Polyethylene boards...USDA...FDA Approved...Will not chip crack or warp...Non porous....Will not dull knives...Dishwasher safe.....

That seem nice but i always love using the traditional wood cutting board save me the time honing the knives that i used.

Last edited by a moderator:
You and your vintage kitchen make me jealous. I've looked at Boos tables but something like yours is appealing. I'd love to get a block from a retiring butcher.....

Thank you buzzard! Your regard for my taste in equipment means a lot to me.:flowers:

You know how I got my table? I made friends with the people who own a used restaurant supply store!

I told them what I wanted and during their work, they found my table in only a few months after I told them. They were so very proud of having it for me, it was like a couple of parents who managed to find the perfect bike for their 10 yr old! They were excited too! And since they were friends and knew I did not have a lot of money, they sold it to me not only cheaply but with layaway.

Even with having to ship, Ebay or Craigslist is an option if you like the vintage ones. Even with shipping, they usually cost less than Boos.

My new Board Smith 16" x 22" x 2" black cherry cutting board arrived yesterday. Dave Smith makes some of the best cutting boards available. DW says it's going to be my Father's Day present, which is fine with me!

I finished oiling it and waxing it this morning, but it's too pretty to cut on:

529246918_hbr3o-X3.jpg

I love my BS walnut board.

You might want to consider giving your board a few more coats of oil (assuming you only gave it one). The following from Dave's site:

Before using a new butcher block, season it to prevent staining and absorption of food odors and bacteria. Before applying oil to butcher block, warm the oil slightly. Apply oil with a soft cloth, in the direction of the grain, allowing the oil to soak in between each of the four or five coats required for the initial seasoning. After each treatment, wait about four to six hours and wipe off oil that did not soak into the wood (oxidation or hardening of the oil will take approximately 6 hours). Re-oil the butcher block monthly or as often as needed.

Gave it four, except the top, which got five, and then a nice thick coat of Dave's Board Butter (mixture of beeswax and mineral oil).

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom