"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 05-25-2016, 02:04 AM   #21
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessFiona60 View Post
While I appreciate the beauty and quality of tech, I still am not going to purchase much of it. A flying car would be cool...but I wouldn't want one. So a frying pan that can talk to my Smartphone is quaint...but not something I would buy. Heck I don't even own a cell phone...I like being disconnected from the world.

The more connected (Internet) we are to our things, the danger of not being able to exist without them frightens me.
Pirate finally got himself a tablet. If I yelled that the house is on fire, he would yell back to not interrupt him. He is trying to read something on his tablet. He has developed a total addiction. Like so many with their cell phones. Scary, isn't it!

Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 AM   #22
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
This one sentence tells me all I need to know, "Business Insider has affiliate partnerships so we may get a share of the revenue from your purchase."
That sentence doesn't tell you anything useful.

All that means is that they probably get a penny a click if you use their amazon link to make a purchase. Pretty much all free websites, including Discuss Cooking, have some type of advertising / click through revenue stream. It's how they pay the bills. I applaud Business Insider for being so transparent about it.

Old 05-25-2016, 08:36 AM   #23
Master Chef

I too am an engineer by degree, and in electronics. Control systems was my final year for my B.S. I understand how the pan works from what was presented. Thermisters, and microprocessor, and programs to react to what the sensors are telling it. I also understand how this pan could indeed help beginning cooks, and even seasoned home cooks. This pan, for me, like everything else is a two-edged sword. It has the potential to give confidence to the inexperienced, thus opening the idea of expanding their desire to try new things. The other edge of that sword is that often, the best lessons are learned by trial and error. As we experiment, and find for ourselves what does and doesn't work, or even research by perusing through cookbooks, or on-line recipes, we begin to develop that intuition spoken of. One must put forth effort to receive anything of true value.

The pan has it's place, maybe not in my kitchen, but to its target group, if used wisely and not as a crutch. It's like teh wise, if now quaint phrase - "Give a man a fish, and you have fed him for a day. Teach a man to fish, and you have fed him for a lifetime. Learning new skills is essential to good cooking. Sometimes, it's even a substantial challenge to learn such things as time, when crating an entire meal, and you want everything to be done at approximately the same time. But when you get it, it's a Eureeka! moment. And you will forever be able to creat wonderfu mealls, not just fry a piece of salmon.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2016, 04:45 PM   #24
Head Chef

I remember when GPS's first came out I heard lots of people say why do I need one I have a map..... Now who would think of driving in a new city without one?

I have one of the pans (the company sent me one to make a video). I have used it a few times now. I do think this is a great pan for someone learning to cook or someone who is forgetful (turns on heat and forgets they are preheating a pan).

The pan works on by sensing the heat of the pan and uses a PID control logic loop to calculate the heat transfer to what you are cooking. Before you start cooking you tell the pan what your cooking and how thick it is. The pan tells you a target temp and when you get to that temp it tells you to add your steak etc. One thing you can see on the app is how much the temp will drop after adding. The app may even tell you the temp is to low. During the cooking you can watch the pan temp and the app will monitor the temp and tell you if you are low or high.

When its time the app will tell you to flip. It will also tell you when it is done.

One of the things that I was surprised about was when the steak is almost done the pan temp will tend to increase. I was surprised at how much I had to turn down the burner. I understand why (the steak was no longer taking a lot of heat from the pan).

It does take some getting used to the pad saying the temp is to high or low. I expected at anytime it was going to say recalculating.....

If your curious here is one of the videos I have made with the pan.
Old 05-25-2016, 04:56 PM   #25
Senior Cook

You are the one who tried it, Andy. what is your opinion?
Old 05-25-2016, 05:28 PM   #26
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
You are the one who tried it, Andy. what is your opinion?

I never tried it. I just saw the website and posted the link as an interesting read.
Old 05-25-2016, 05:36 PM   #27
Certified Pretend Chef

James, thanks for the video. It seems to work as advertised.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:47 PM   #28
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
James, thanks for the video. It seems to work as advertised.
Your welcome, the few times I have used it I was happy with the results.

Plan to try a simple boneless, skinless chicken breast next.
Old 05-25-2016, 08:21 PM   #29
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by powerplantop View Post
Your welcome, the few times I have used it I was happy with the results.

Plan to try a simple boneless, skinless chicken breast next.

Do you think your difficulty in maintaining temperatures because your stove is electric?
Old 05-25-2016, 08:23 PM   #30
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
Do you think your difficulty in maintaining temperatures because your stove is electric?
That could be part of the problem since the burners cycle. Looking forward to trying the pan on my gas stove when I get home.

Tags
cook, cookware