Who Has a FoodSaver?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Toots

Head Chef
I am thinking about getting a food saver. Was wondering if anyone uses one and what they think of it. The kind I want to get is around $100 on Amazon. Not sure if I should spend that kind of money for a food saver, on the other hand, would I save enough by using it to justify the cost?

maybe I've been watching too much Suze Orman......:LOL:

You should also look at Reynolds Handi Vac - Available in grocery stores.

I have both, I use them in different ways. Handi Vac - can be opened and resealed. It's basically a zip lock in steroids. The vacuum unit is hand held and battery operated. Very convenient. The food saver is more work to use and makes a permanent seal on the bag. The bags are reusable witht he food saver. Reynolds does not recommend reusing handi vac bags, but, I do.

Lots of threads here on this subject. Here is one example

I have a Foodsaver and I love it.

I also have a Handivac and hardly ever use it anymore because (1) it can be hard to use and (2) almost always comes unsealed over time.

I have a Tillia Foodsaver and LOVE it. It is well worth the cost. I have no need for a Handivac because the Foodsaver can do the same things for the most part. I hardly ever use bags with my Foodsaver. I have sanisters with I keep all my food in. The canisters and be sealed and opened and sealed over and over as often as you like. The only time you can not use them is in the freezer. that is when I use the bags.

I have a Tillia Foodsaver and LOVE it. It is well worth the cost. I have no need for a Handivac because the Foodsaver can do the same things for the most part. I hardly ever use bags with my Foodsaver. I have sanisters with I keep all my food in. The canisters and be sealed and opened and sealed over and over as often as you like. The only time you can not use them is in the freezer. that is when I use the bags.

The Tilla is the one I want! It is sale at Amazon for 52% off the price and my BD is coming up - I may tell my DH to get me the food saver.
Thanks!

Hi Toots!!! It is well worth the money IMO. Just like what others have said, just LOVE it!

You should also look at Reynolds Handi Vac - Available in grocery stores.

I have both, I use them in different ways. Handi Vac - can be opened and resealed. It's basically a zip lock in steroids. The vacuum unit is hand held and battery operated. Very convenient. The food saver is more work to use and makes a permanent seal on the bag. The bags are reusable witht he food saver. Reynolds does not recommend reusing handi vac bags, but, I do.

Lots of threads here on this subject. Here is one example

thanks for posting that thread - I did a food saver search for threads and came up with alot of threads about other stuff - duh.
My sister has the Handi Vac - she likes hers too.

I wouldn't trade my Food Saver for any other brand. I tried the Handi-Vac and took it back for a refund. The FS is one of the best and most used appliances in my kitchen. ALL of my meat, poultry, fish and some other things go into FS bags and they keep in the freezer for months. The food looks exactly as it did when I bought it. No freezer burn or ice crystals. Go for it, but get a good one. You'll use it to death.

I cannot survive without my FoodSaver unit, which I'm now on my third one and I got their newest vertical one and love it. Ordered online since I was able to get free shipping and lots of extras. I use mine almost every day.

I also have two (2) Reynolds "Handi-Vacs" and love them too because of their ziplock bags. Lots of needs for that which the FoodSaver is not as convenient for.

I have one and I love mine. If you have a Big Lots near you, they have factory refurbs there that are quite a bargain. I got mine and one for my daughter there and I've had no problems at all.

I'm another "got both a FoodSaver and a Handi-Vac" club member - love both, and use them for different things. Can't say anything bad about either one. They both have their advantages and uses in my kitchen.

I have Rival Seal a Meal. I think I paid $40 for it. It works great and I use it all the time.

I ordered a FS just yesterday morning, can't wait for it to arrive!!! I'm also considering the Reynold's Handi Vac. I had a friend call me from the grocery store asking me to research it for him. I've got him interested in a vacuum sealer, but he doesn't want to spend the money on a FS. I see it as a worthwhile investment! At any rate, I'm considering getting the Handi Vac for portability purposes.

I also have a food saver, love it love it! I have sent cookies back home...2000 miles and they got there safely and in one piece. I have canned pickles with the lid attachment and it worked great, it's a gadget I don't use all the time but when I need it I am glad I have it.

Don't forget you can use Mason canning jars with the food saver and save on bags...I have Pecans & walnuts in mine and keep them in the fridge. for a snack.

Interesting, if there was bacteria is never showed up we all enjoyed the pickles and are alive to tell about it...:)

Back
Top Bottom