Why does everything stick to my pans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Skittle, just out of curiosity, what kind of SS pans do you have? Are they tri-ply, disk on the bottom or a single layer of stainless?

They are tri-ply cuisinart.

I'm definitely going to check out those you-tube videos! Thanks for all the tips- can't wait to start figuring out how to use these pans properly!

I have 2 SS frying pans. One has the encapsulated bottom and is 12 inches across. The other has a very thin aluminum coating on the bottom and is 8 inches across. It's taken me a while to learn how to use them correctly. for fried foods, I use the mercury method (though I didn't know what it was called). I found it through trial and error. But I get the pan hot while it is clean and dry. I then add about a tsp. of cooking oil to the pan. Sometimes I spread it around, while sometimes I spread it with a paper towel, just leaving an oil sheen. It depends what I'm cooking. The point is, when I place the food in the pan, be it potatoes, meat, green veggies, whatever, it just slides across the pan as if it were teflon. If I'm frying meat, and want a fond from which to make a sauce, or gravy, I add the oil to the cold pan, bring it up to temperature over medium heat, and then add the meat. I then brown it on both sides, cooking for the desired degree of pink, and use a thin metal spatula to turn the meat. It sticks just a little, enough to give me fond.

The first method works so well, that even bacon releases without sticking. I cook pancakes using the first method, with no sticking problems. If I want crispy edges on the pancakes, I leave add a bit of butter to melt in the pan just before putting in the batter.

Sauces are another method. First, I bring the pan up to temperature, but not as hot as for frying meat. I place butter into the pan and let it melt as the pan is heating. When it begins to bubble, I watch it closely. When it quits bubbling, I add the same amount of flour as I did butter. I stir it and let it cook until the flour reaches the color I want. I then add milk, or stalk to make the kind of sauce I want. After adding the liquid, heat must be reduced to keep the sauce from sticking, and scorching.

Stainless isn't too hard to master. It simply takes a bit of practice, and paying attention to what happens when you do different things with it. That, in my humble opinion, it the only sure way to learn the cooking skills. I can give you advise, just as the others who have weighed in have. And all of it will help you learn what you want to know. But you have to try what has been given you. See what works, and what doesn't. That's how you learn the cooking skills you desire.

Skittle, you ask the right questions. You are going to be a masterful cook, not just competent. Your desire to learn is strong, young grashopper. That will serve you well.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Not too shabby- what a difference making sure the pan is hot enough makes! I got distracted and left one round of pancakes on a little too long and they got pretty dark, but most of them turned out perfect, and my bf commented, "Wow, it's like Teflon!" When I was making the eggs. Cool! The oil was getting a little dark so I wiped it with a paper towel and added just a touch more fresh oil between pancakes. Didn't add more for the eggs though. I kept it at a just barely there, thin layer the whole time. Just what I wanted! Hopefully it will work that well for the potatoes, if I can manage to leave them alone til they are ready to be turned. Yay!

image-2424741131.jpg

Not too shabby- what a difference making sure the pan is hot enough makes! I got distracted and left one round of pancakes on a little too long and they got pretty dark, but most of them turned out perfect, and my bf commented, "Wow, it's like Teflon!" When I was making the eggs. Cool! The oil was getting a little dark so I wiped it with a paper towel and added just a touch more fresh oil between pancakes. Didn't add more for the eggs though. I kept it at a just barely there, thin layer the whole time. Just what I wanted! Hopefully it will work that well for the potatoes, if I can manage to leave them alone til they are ready to be turned. Yay!
View attachment 16592

Excellent! Congrats.

Nice thing is even if the potatoes do stick somewhat, the part that sticks will eventually come off when it's ready and mix into the potatoes while you cook them.

Mmmm steak and eggs! Still had some stickage with the potatoes, but nothing close to what it was before. It was just around the edge, I'm guessing where the pan was hanging off the small burner. Next time I'm going to try using the bigger burner and see if that helps. It worked perfectly in the middle. Either way, potatoes turned out great. Like "no mayo" said, the little pieces that do stick mix into the potatoes for crunchy flavor. By the end there was a ring of completely stuck bits, but since it didn't affect the quality I'm not too concerned about that. If using the larger burner reduces the sticking even more, I'm set! Thanks again everyone!

Now I just need bf to learn to cook steaks properly- he just times them! So it's dumb luck if they are medium rare. (We had medium well this morning) I am already on permanent egg duty (I'm better at it), so I don't want to start cooking the steaks!!

image-3100704048.jpg

image-537028050.jpg

(I almost forgot to take the picture this time- that's why it's half eaten lol)

Last edited:
.... so I wiped it with a paper towel and added just a touch more fresh oil ....

Ding ding! Winner :chef:

This, in my experience is the key to non-stick stainless or aluminum pans. Heating the pan (no fat) to fairly hot and then quickly rubbing a small amount of fat into the pan with a paper towel. Then add fat as usual and cook your goods.

By rubbing the hot pan with a little butter or oil you seal up all those tiny pores in the metal that make stuff stick. Using this method you can cook perfect eggs, omelets and other sticking hazards perfectly every time.

My bf bought me a nice set of stainless steel pans for Christmas last year, and it seems like everything sticks to them. What is going on?? I'm pretty sure we use plenty of oil, and always make sure it is heated up before adding anything to the pan. I hate to use Teflon when we have this nice stainless steel set...
I hate stainless steel pans with a passion. EVERYTHING sticks and burns apart from pasta, veg or anything you boil in lots of water. Put them on a high shelf to decorate your kitchen and invest in either Le Creuset or good quality (and this means expensive) aluminium ones.

(Incidentally the hoary old tale that boiling vegetables in aluminium will give you Alzheimers has long been discredited so don't worry about that.)

"

"My bf bought me a nice set of stainless steel pans for Christmas last year," I'm curious to know how long he was unconscious after you hit him with the "gift" ;-)

"

"My bf bought me a nice set of stainless steel pans for Christmas last year," I'm curious to know how long he was unconscious after you hit him with the "gift" ;-)

LOL!! Well, at first I would have agreed with you! But I'm getting it down :) Yesterday I made perfect over easy eggs, and hashbrowns. I could have just wiped the pans with a paper towel and put them away, there was so little sticking. I think it's all about making sure the temp is right.

I hate stainless steel pans with a passion. EVERYTHING sticks and burns...

Take a few minutes to read this thread from the beginning. Skittles was having similar problems until she got help. Now she cooks in SS without food's sticking.

I hate stainless steel pans with a passion. EVERYTHING sticks and burns apart from pasta, veg or anything you boil in lots of water. Put them on a high shelf to decorate your kitchen and invest in either Le Creuset or good quality (and this means expensive) aluminium ones.

(Incidentally the hoary old tale that boiling vegetables in aluminium will give you Alzheimers has long been discredited so don't worry about that.)

I got a set of two 10" aluminum pans from Sam's Club some years back and they've been my favorite pans for when I don't want to use my cast iron skillet. Absolutely LOVE my aluminum pans, and the set of two was CHEAP.
It's been my experience that spending extra on shiny pans (All-Clad comes to mind) doesn't do much to make the food better.

Last edited:
Just remember that aliuminum skillets need to be seasoned, just like cast iron, to protect the metal from corrosion, and create a non-stick patina.:chef:

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

My experience was exactly the opposite. Cooking with my first new All-Clad pan was a revelation and a joy. I love it.

I've got several All-Clad pans collecting dust in favor of my cast iron skillet and 10" NSF aluminum fry pans. My Al pan looks beaten to hell and back, covered in patina inside and out. Love it.

Back
Top Bottom