"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Cookware and Accessories

Old 01-06-2014, 05:36 PM   #41
Cook

Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I am going to buy an 8" classic wusthof.

I am also considering getting a 10" classic from someone off ebay if the price doesn't go up. It looks like its in good condition. My only question/concern is. Can knives practically regain their original edge with a professional sharpen. Hopefully the link works.
Wusthof Classic 10 inch Chef's Knife | eBay

Old 01-06-2014, 06:04 PM   #42
Sous Chef

jeesh. I missed the "Classic" notation... my bad.

Old 01-06-2014, 06:06 PM   #43
Master Chef

My advice is to DO NOT BUY A KNIFE UNLESS YOUVE TRIED IT.

Knives are like shoes. They have to fit.

Try before you buy.
Old 01-06-2014, 06:56 PM   #44
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcSaute View Post
jeesh. I missed the "Classic" notation... my bad.
That's OK, I was mistaken once, it was TERRIBLE....

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2014, 09:13 PM   #45
Assistant Cook

I have been washing mine using room temperature water and a mild dishsoap which is what we normally use to do the dishes and dry them immediately so I dont get water spots. Our water tends to be hard.
Old 01-06-2014, 09:18 PM   #46
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc2123 View Post
Thanks everyone. I'm pretty sure I am going to buy an 8" classic wusthof.

I am also considering getting a 10" classic from someone off ebay if the price doesn't go up. It looks like its in good condition. My only question/concern is. Can knives practically regain their original edge with a professional sharpen. Hopefully the link works.
Wusthof Classic 10 inch Chef's Knife | eBay
Depending where you live, you may be able to go to a chef's store and bring a vegetable, meat a fruit and they may let you test. There is a Chef's Central near my job and they let you do a test run with some of their most popular knives.
Old 01-06-2014, 10:26 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
My advice is to DO NOT BUY A KNIFE UNLESS YOUVE TRIED IT.

Knives are like shoes. They have to fit.

Try before you buy.
He has already said that he likes the Classic. I was assuming that means that he has handled one, but maybe I'm mistaken.
Old 01-06-2014, 11:11 PM   #48
Head Chef

Here is a photo for 2 of my knives. The bottom one is a 6" Wusthof Classic and the other is an 8" Chicago Cutlery Centurion (I also have a 10" Wusthof). You can see that both look a lot alike, and the handles are virtually identical. There are some small differences in the way the blade blends into the handle, but to me those are irrelevant as both knives feel the same in my hands. I don't know if the steel is of the same quality, but the Chicago seems to be as durable as the Wustof.

I inherited the Chicago when my mother passed away, and I use it a lot. I have no doubt that it was mistreated when she used it, as she really never had a decent knife until my sister bought her this one. I know that she used the grinder on the back of her electric can opener to sharpen it with, and had no idea what a honing steel was. For all that, I fixed up the edge with my Chef's Choice 3 stage and it has served me well for 3 years now.

Edit: Just Googled it and the 8" Chicago is $59 at Amazon. They don't seem to offer a 10"
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Knives.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	205.4 KB
ID:	20549  
Old 01-07-2014, 11:16 AM   #49
Master Chef

This thread has been very interesting and informative for me.

Since the initial post I have been paying attention to the knives used in the butcher areas of 3 stores and 2 delis. In all cases they use what looks like inexpensive Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives. I also was inspired to take my two KMart Martha Stuart knives and have them sharpened. These knives were purchased long before Martha went to jail and have not been sharpened in over 15 years. What a difference the sharpening makes! The knife sharpener also seemed to have a large quantity of Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives waiting to be sharpened. I'm beginning to think that a basic knife that is sharpened periodically is the best choice for me.

I do love the idea of those Wusthof Classics!

It's awful to be cheap, I mean frugal!
Old 01-07-2014, 01:20 PM   #50
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aunt Bea View Post
This thread has been very interesting and informative for me.

Since the initial post I have been paying attention to the knives used in the butcher areas of 3 stores and 2 delis. In all cases they use what looks like inexpensive Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives. I also was inspired to take my two KMart Martha Stuart knives and have them sharpened. These knives were purchased long before Martha went to jail and have not been sharpened in over 15 years. What a difference the sharpening makes! The knife sharpener also seemed to have a large quantity of Dexter-Russell Sani-Safe knives waiting to be sharpened. I'm beginning to think that a basic knife that is sharpened periodically is the best choice for me.

I do love the idea of those Wusthof Classics!

It's awful to be cheap, I mean frugal!
I agree just about any decent quality knife kept sharp is a good knife. Biggest difference is balance and how long they hold an edge.

Those Dexter Russell are nearly bullet proof, they can take a ton of abuse. If I didn't have the wusthof classics (they were a gift) I would have spent my money on the Dexter Russell or others from restaurant supply.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote