Wustof Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I've gotten into the habit of hand washing my knives. It's not a big deal. I steel them before I put them back on the magnetic strip I store them on. How often you sharpen is a matter of how much they get used, what they are used on and your tolerance for dullness.

That was another question I forgot to ask.

How often would you sharpen these knives?

Lets say you work in a professional kitchen 40-60 hours a week

Compared to

At home daily for about 30 minutes a day, if that.

I can't speak for a professional kitchen...

But I take the knives that I use the most to be sharpened about 4 times a year. Sometimes more often.

What is the proper way to clean a Wusthof Classic? Towel, sponge, water, soap?

I've never owned a chefs knife worth taking care of like a baby. But now I'm looking to.

I use hot, soapy water and a dish brush, this keeps me from accidentally cutting myself.

Also, where do you get your knives sharpened? and how much does it cost?

There has been a knife sharpener at a Farmers Market that I go to. Otherwise I usually go to a knife store or a kitchenware store. First two options preferable.

Price ranges depending on knife size and type and who is doing it. Ballpark $2 per knife.

Also, where do you get your knives sharpened? and how much does it cost?

I take mine to a good supermarket with its own butchers. They always ask me if I'll be shopping while they sharpen and I always say yes. Then I shop for 20 minutes or so, come back and my knives are done. They don't charge me. I have them sharpened 4-5 times a year, and definitely a week or so before Thanksgiving.

What is the proper way to clean a Wusthof Classic? Towel, sponge, water, soap?

I've never owned a chefs knife worth taking care of like a baby. But now I'm looking to.

I just hand wash them when I wash my good wine glasses and pots and pans after meals or during down time while cooking.

I sharpen them when they need it, but having a good hone and knowing how to use it is a necessity. I don't pull out my sharpener that often. I'm just a home cook, so my knives don't get used like they would in a professional kitchen. I've read that most restaurant cooks have their knives sharpened regularly by a professional.

I sharpen them when they need it, but having a good hone and knowing how to use it is a necessity.

Do you hone everytime before you use your knife?

And is there a such thing as good and bad hones. If so can you recommend one for me if I am going to buy a Wusthof Classic.

Do you hone everytime before you use your knife?

And is there a such thing as good and bad hones. If so can you recommend one for me if I am going to buy a Wusthof Classic.

It's recommended that you hone your knives before each use, using a steel. A dull knife is a dangerous knife and if you hone it before (or after) each use, you know it's sharp.

I have two steels and they seem pretty much the same to me, except for the shape. One is round and one is a bit flattened.

I'm full of questions, but this may be one of my last ones.

Since I am looking to prepare myself for working in a kitchen I am trying to get a bunch of essential knives and tools together.

I like the wusthof knives a lot and I was planning on just getting a chefs knife and a pairing knife. And I have looked on ebay and bed bath and beyond.

Ebay it looks like I'd be spending around 150 for both knives.

At bed bath and beyond with a 20% coupon I have and a special deal they have going on I could get all this: 7 piece block set 3.5 inch paring knife. 8' cook/bread knives. 9" sharpening steel. 6"sandwich knife. kitchen shears. 17 slot oak block.free bamboo cutting board and knife sharpener. for $300. plus the 20% discount.

Which route do you think I should go.

You want to look for forged knives where the blade extends into the handle and has rivets to attach the handle to the blade. The ones I've seen at BBB are stamped, not forged.

Have you thought about the fact that you will be competing for these jobs with people who went to culinary school? They will have a large advantage. The first thing you're taught there is knife skills with a set of knives that comes with the tuition.

Last edited:
First, read the fine print on the 20 percent off coupon. They usually exclude some brands. I think Wusthof is one that's excluded.

Second, don't buy stuff you may not need just because it's a good deal. Buy the two knives and use them. You may find you like another brand or type of knife better.

Use the steel every time you wash and put you knives away or every time you take one out to use it.

You want to look for forged knives where the blade extends into the handle and has rivets to attach the handle to the blade. The ones I've seen at BBB are stamped, not forged.

Have you thought about the fact that you will be competing for these jobs with people who went to culinary school? They will have a large advantage. The first thing you're taught there is knife skills with a set of knives that comes with the tuition.

Where should I look for forged knives?

As for the second part, I understand I am at a huge disadvantage. I do however think I have a solid groundwork where I could get into a kitchen as a prep cook or at least stage and from there I am motivated to learn and work my ass off.

I am 23 years old, I graduated with a Crime, law and justice degree a year and a half ago and I just don't want to pursue that profession. Since I have graduated I have worked at a Co-op and Whole Foods (Baker/Mixer). I am moving to Woodside, Queens within the next month.

Any advice would be very useful.But my plan as of now is to hopefully transfer to a Whole Foods to get situated and stabilized in a new city. Then I will go around to well reviewed restaurants and put myself out there. If they all tell me shoo and go to culinary school then I may have to strongly consider it. But, I much rather learn from a chef who is willing to take me under his wing, because I am willing to sacrifice a lot for this.

Where should I look for forged knives?

As for the second part, I understand I am at a huge disadvantage. I do however think I have a solid groundwork where I could get into a kitchen as a prep cook or at least stage and from there I am motivated to learn and work my ass off.

I am 23 years old, I graduated with a Crime, law and justice degree a year and a half ago and I just don't want to pursue that profession. Since I have graduated I have worked at a Co-op and Whole Foods (Baker/Mixer). I am moving to Woodside, Queens within the next month.

Any advice would be very useful.But my plan as of now is to hopefully transfer to a Whole Foods to get situated and stabilized in a new city. Then I will go around to well reviewed restaurants and put myself out there. If they all tell me shoo and go to culinary school then I may have to strongly consider it. But, I much rather learn from a chef who is willing to take me under his wing, because I am willing to sacrifice a lot for this.

Williams Sonoma has them, although I think they're overpriced unless you find something on sale. DH gave me a nice Santoku knife for Christmas a couple of years ago; I think he got it at a kitchen specialty store. There are also lots of online sites, including Amazon, but it's important to handle them yourself and get one that feels comfortable and balanced in your hand.

I had another idea: While you're looking, you can practice your knife skills and I would suggest getting one of these: http://www.ardculinary.com/products_ModelSetI.html

ModelSetIMedium.jpg

It's a 3-D full-scale model of the different knife cuts like julienne, batonnet, brunoise, etc., so you can see whether your cuts are correct. The chef/instructor in the first kitchen class I took in culinary school used it to check our knife skills.

Anyway you could show me links or pictures of the difference between stamped and forged. I just 'assumed' since the Wusthofs were Classics at BBB they were forged.

All Wusthof Classics are forged. They look like this. The steel of the blade is thicker at the base (bolster) and extends to the end of the handle in one piece. The black handle pieces are just attached to the tang.

Other knives are stamped steel. They can have a full tang or not. The difference is in the shape of the steel, which doesn't vary in maximum thickness from the heel of the blade to the end of the handle.

One style is not inherently better than the other. The quality of the steel and how it is sharpened are more important. Heft and balance will differ between the two types.

Attachments

• index.jpg
    index.jpg
    3.2 KB · Views: 90
>>All Wusthof Classics are forged.

once was, is no more.

GOURMET - Precisely cut with the latest state of the art laser technology.
A wide assortment offers you knives for all purposes.

SILVERPOINT - Precisely cut with the latest state of the art laser technology.

>>All Wusthof Classics are forged.

once was, is no more.

GOURMET - Precisely cut with the latest state of the art laser technology.
A wide assortment offers you knives for all purposes.

SILVERPOINT - Precisely cut with the latest state of the art laser technology.

Wusthof Classics are different from Wusthof Gourmet. They look similar, but they are two different lines.

This is the Wusthof Gourmet, chef's knife, notice the absence of the bolster.

218RC0S1WGL._SX450_.jpg

This is the Wusthof Classic Chef's knife notice the full bolster.

21Km8KJXiPL._SX450_.jpg

Back
Top Bottom