Wustof Classic

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

katwill

Assistant Cook
Hey all,
Havent been on the forum in some time. Recently purchased a set of Wustof Classic knives after using my brother in law's while visiting during the holidays. All i have to say is WOW, not knowing anything about knives I can say that these things are incredibly sharp and feel right. Made a roast yesterday and boy was it fun carving it.

Attachments

• kni.jpg
    kni.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 354
I have a set that my sister gave me and they are wonderful. I love the balance and how they make cutting and chopping a breeze. Until you've used a good set of knives, you don't always know what you are missing.

I have mostly Wusthof Grand Prix knives which are basically the same as Classics but with a different handle.

Love em!

Two questions.

Are all of the knives that come in the various sets the same quality. I get confused by the various offers and am wondering if the only difference is the size and number of knives included.

How do you folks keep these knives sharp at home?

Thanks!

The set that I have is the classic with the brief case and garnishing tools. I noticed that the smaller tools and maybe one knife was the Gourmet line and not classic, maybe they don't make these in classic. I would definitely make sure the entire set was classic, as the quality difference is noticeable. I made the mistake of buying a Gourmet paring knife at TJ Maxx and it was far inferior to the classic.

I also have a question. What is the "hollow edge" all about?

Also, does anyone have any experience with the wusthof sharpener.

And what they would recommend stone or sharpener.

Last edited:
Hey all,
Havent been on the forum in some time. Recently purchased a set of Wustof Classic knives after using my brother in law's while visiting during the holidays. All i have to say is WOW, not knowing anything about knives I can say that these things are incredibly sharp and feel right. Made a roast yesterday and boy was it fun carving it.

I have 3 of them and yes they are very nice. I have a 10" and 6" chef and a 5" boning knife. I also have 3 Chicago Cutlery knives (8" chef, 4" utility and 3" paring) which are virtually identical to the Wusthof Classic. All of them are a comfortable fit for my hands, and made from quality steel, and those are the primary requirements for a good knife.

To answer the question of the quality, Since I first used my brother in law's knives, I started reading and speaking to a few people about the knives prior to purchasing the Classic Set. A guy at work told me that his wife had purchased the gourmet set and brought the chef, pairing and the boning knives in for me to test. I brought in a few apples, tomatoes and a head of iceberg lettuce. I also brought in a piece or roast that I had cooked the day before . Leftovers. Another lady in the lady had the Classic (its amazing how when you become aware of a few things and start asking around similar interests come to life.) The difference was noticeable to me between the classic and gourmet sets. I also brought in my no name knives and those were terrible. I went a head and went with the classic set after that test. I am very happy with our set. I have a question for those with the Classic set, will the logo on the handle eventually fade or come off after years of usage?

To answer the question of the quality, Since I first used my brother in law's knives, I started reading and speaking to a few people about the knives prior to purchasing the Classic Set. A guy at work told me that his wife had purchased the gourmet set and brought the chef, pairing and the boning knives in for me to test. I brought in a few apples, tomatoes and a head of iceberg lettuce. I also brought in a piece or roast that I had cooked the day before . Leftovers. Another lady in the lady had the Classic (its amazing how when you become aware of a few things and start asking around similar interests come to life.) The difference was noticeable to me between the classic and gourmet sets. I also brought in my no name knives and those were terrible. I went a head and went with the classic set after that test. I am very happy with our set. I have a question for those with the Classic set, will the logo on the handle eventually fade or come off after years of usage?

It will if your mom comes to visit and runs them through the dishwasher then the logos can come off.

I have a small Buck knife steel I use to sharpen my Classics.
It's only 3" long and fells really smooth now but just 3 or 4 swipes
on each side brings back a nice edge. A couple of the knives are 15
years old.

Hahaha that sounds just like my mom. she is notorious for putting things in the dishwasher that shoudnt be put in there.

I've had a nonstop battle with my wife ever since I took a cooking a class (quite a few years ago now) and found out that dishwashers and knives don't mix well. She has never really bought into the theory, but at least she accedes to my wishes about it. For whatever reason, she just can't comprehend how a dishwasher can hurt a steel knife. Although I think she is a bit more aware of the vulnerability of metals in general since we moved here to a windy beach and she sees just how bad this environment is on steel, even stainless steel.

When we got married she was one of those people for whom a knife was sharp if she could work her way through an onion, but the only possible way to cut a tomato was with a serrated blade, and I wasn't much better. I've learned a lot since then, and she has at least picked up on just how much difference there is between what she thought was sharp, and what really is sharp. :chef:

What is the proper way to clean a Wusthof Classic? Towel, sponge, water, soap?

I've never owned a chefs knife worth taking care of like a baby. But now I'm looking to.

What is the proper way to clean a Wusthof Classic? Towel, sponge, water, soap?

I've never owned a chefs knife worth taking care of like a baby. But now I'm looking to.

I use a soapy sponge to wash and either lay my knives on a towel to dry or dry immediately and put them away. I also made sure get a knife block that stores my knives horizontally, to protect the blades.

I regularly wash my knives in the dishwasher, in separate compartments so they only touch plastic.

I steel them before use and get them sharpened pretty regularly.

I steel them before use and get them sharpened pretty regularly.

That was another question I forgot to ask.

How often would you sharpen these knives?

Lets say you work in a professional kitchen 40-60 hours a week

Compared to

At home daily for about 30 minutes a day, if that.

Back
Top Bottom