"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 10-01-2006, 11:21 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
As for reusing marinades, most marinade ingredients are not too expensive and, after use, one doesn't cry about tossing it out. I'd rather throw it away than to risk a food-borne illness because of cross-contamination or such.

Old 10-01-2006, 11:32 PM   #12
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf
You just have to be careful though and heat it to the boiling point long enough to kill everything. Unless there's a LOT of sauce I find it reduces too quickly and gets thick and gooey depending on what type of marinade.

What type of marinade ARE you using thecactuswill????
you're probably right about the food safety issues
When I think marinade, I think lots of red wine, a (flavoured) vinegar and the usual flavourings (pepper, oignons, celery, carrots,...). In the sauce it would be strained and reduced by half or so in a constant simmer.

Old 10-02-2006, 11:00 AM   #13
Master Chef

Reusing marinade means that you are multiplying the bacteria in the marinade many times over when you add another pack of chicken to it. The chicken will be soaking in that.

I wouldn't consider it.

Throwing away bologna that has been in your fridge for a month is wasteful, too. But you'd do that rather than eat it, right?
Old 10-02-2006, 12:24 PM   #14
Executive Chef

I would not re-use the marinade or re-use the bag. A more cost-effective and healthier method (less sodium, etc) -- make up the marinade, funnel it into a bottle, store it in the fridge & use as needed.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:53 PM   #15
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to YT2095
Don`t re-use it!
seriously, it`s courting disaster, what you CAN do is make a Gravy/Dip with it after a good hot reduction. and you can even freeze that if you want to.

the Guys/Girls saying about bacteria multiplication are quite correct, and it`s Not proportional to the amount of raw food you use, it`s a Time/Temp thing, AND it exponential, Not a linear in the MX rate!

add some beer to it, heat it up and reduce it down :)

YT2095 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2006, 01:46 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Some recipes have you use the marinade as a basting sauce or the basis of a pan sauce etc. other than that there is no safe way to reuse it. You will have to boil it down and it will have changed properties and be a different marinade.

THere are further problems in that heat may not kill all the bacteria that could grow over time. SO it is best to toss it and start fresh. THe taste iwl lbe better anyway with fresh ingredients.
Old 10-02-2006, 06:29 PM   #17
Executive Chef

You all already know what I would say......

Hope everyone is having a nice evening....
Old 10-02-2006, 08:52 PM   #18
Senior Cook

I always use the leftover marinade as a basis for a sauce -- a cooked sauce, of course. Used either with the meal for that day, or a day or two later. Thought everyone did that. But I guess I'm weird. Ah, well...

Old 10-03-2006, 12:11 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitchenelf

What type of marinade ARE you using thecactuswill????
Just basic stuff, like italian dressing
Old 10-03-2006, 07:40 AM   #20
Sous Chef

It's kind of a hassle when most marinades are so cheap to make, but I have read about popular Japanese Yakitori shops that have been using the same heated marinade for over thirty years. I guess they keep it just simmering, and they have a continual process of adding more ingredients as needed. Many marinades are loaded with salt, sugar, and acid which together make for a bacterial wrath of god. People say that you can't have BBQ chicken anywhere else, because no one has the intense development of flavor that these yakitori shops have in their marinade/dipping sauce.

Personally I avoid the hassle and just make new marinades every time. To be honest I really don't have the time or room to heat and freeze my marinade everytime I use it.

Tags
None