"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 10-01-2006, 07:37 PM   #1
Senior Cook

Any Way to Re-Use Marinade?

I know its not recommended, but can it be done safely? Say I took a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts, put them into a ziploc, then poured the marinade in. Then take the chicken out to use later that day, and immediately replace it with another fresh package in the same bag for the next day, without the marinade bag missing more than a minute or two of refrigeration. Could this be done for maybe several times within less than a weeks period with any margin of safety? I just find it so painfully wasteful to always be discarding all this marinade after one brief use.

Old 10-01-2006, 07:43 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
If raw chicken goes bad in about 3 days then your marinade will go bad too. You can boil it for 15 minutes but by that time it's boiled down to ooey gooey messes!

I guess technically, you could get another use out of it. I guess you are talking about just making the same thing again?

Safely, I just wouldn't do it though. However for the exact same thing the next day it should be fine. I've marinated chicken for 3 days in marinade before. But like I said, after 3 days even chicken goes bad.

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2006, 07:45 PM   #3
Senior Cook

Well yeah just making the same thing over again. I know probably the biggest danger of this idea would be to cross-contaminate different meats. I'm just thinking I could maybe stretch one use of marinade over a few days using the exact same meat?
Old 10-01-2006, 07:48 PM   #4
Chef Extraordinaire

A "few" days is the key. I wouldn't even think using chicken breasts one day and then that night putting in pork chops is going to be bad - you will still be cooking everything. It just can't be used for a whole week.

Old 10-01-2006, 08:04 PM   #5
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecactuswill
I know its not recommended, but can it be done safely? Say I took a package of boneless skinless chicken breasts, put them into a ziploc, then poured the marinade in. Then take the chicken out to use later that day, and immediately replace it with another fresh package in the same bag for the next day, without the marinade bag missing more than a minute or two of refrigeration. Could this be done for maybe several times within less than a weeks period with any margin of safety? I just find it so painfully wasteful to always be discarding all this marinade after one brief use.
I don't think I'd even think about it

Dump the marinade - it's not wasteful ; it's practical . There are some things that, unfortunately, have to be discarded. However, if your marinade is organic you can toss it on your garden, and the plants will grow better!!
Old 10-01-2006, 08:18 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Maybe I dont understand what your saying, but couldnt you just use some of the marinade on your chicken and save the rest of the marinade for another time? I wouldnt reuse the marinade if you already had chicken in it. Dump it and make a smaller batch next time.
Old 10-01-2006, 08:41 PM   #7
Cook

Well thecactuswill, I don't think using the same marinade with the same kind of meat within say 48 hrs would realy hurt.
But if you realy don't want to see your marinade go to waste, then use it in your sauce next time. No waste, delicious sauce... what more could you want?
Old 10-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hades
Well thecactuswill, I don't think using the same marinade with the same kind of meat within say 48 hrs would realy hurt.
But if you realy don't want to see your marinade go to waste, then use it in your sauce next time. No waste, delicious sauce... what more could you want?
You just have to be careful though and heat it to the boiling point long enough to kill everything. Unless there's a LOT of sauce I find it reduces too quickly and gets thick and gooey depending on what type of marinade.

What type of marinade ARE you using thecactuswill????

Old 10-01-2006, 09:12 PM   #9
Senior Cook

I wouldn't expect the next use of the marinade to produce food of equal flavor. There is an amount of flavor that the food absorbs and some liquid released into the marinade so the flavor balance willl shift. I don't think you're gaining much economy considering the flavor shift and risk.

However, there is a classic Chinese cooking method that reuses the cooking liquid over and over with just small additionf of flavor ingredients again over time. Looing, Red Cooking, are the common terms for it. The more it's used, the better it's supposed to get as it absorbs flavor from the different meats, (never fish). Granted, the liquid is reboiled before use every time. I've got a batch in my freezer between uses right now.

thymeless
Old 10-01-2006, 11:06 PM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by thymeless
I wouldn't expect the next use of the marinade to produce food of equal flavor. There is an amount of flavor that the food absorbs and some liquid released into the marinade so the flavor balance willl shift. I don't think you're gaining much economy considering the flavor shift and risk.

However, there is a classic Chinese cooking method that reuses the cooking liquid over and over with just small additionf of flavor ingredients again over time. Looing, Red Cooking, are the common terms for it. The more it's used, the better it's supposed to get as it absorbs flavor from the different meats, (never fish). Granted, the liquid is reboiled before use every time. I've got a batch in my freezer between uses right now.

thymeless
Don't mean to get off topic, here, but it sounds as if there is some stylized/codified Chinese cooking text(s) behind your post. I am interested in any of this type of text; can you tell me where to learn more?

Tags
None