"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades
Click Here to Login

Old 06-16-2017, 11:27 PM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

I'm not clear about what you are asking Addie.

We are talking about brine for both pork chops and chicken breast/and or thighs. The magic salt to water ratio is 1/4 cup kosher salt to 4 cups of water. The liquid must cover the pork chops/ chicken depending on how much meat you have, and naturally both meats need to be brined separately.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 12:15 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So what would be a proper solution for just one item. I wrap all my meat for single servings...
If you buy your meat at once, and wrap your meat at once, why don't you brine all the items together at once? Then you can wrap individually.

If you want to wait until you take one chop or one piece of chicken from the freezer and then brine, I'll do the math for you. 4 cups of water to 1/4 cup of Kosher salt, right? If you are using only 1 cup of water (you need enough to immerse and cover the piece of meat), you need 1/4 of that 1/4 cup of salt. Since 1 cup equals 16 Tablespoons, 1/4 cup would be 4 Tablespoons. Since you are using only 1/4 of the water, per Kayelle's post, you need only 1/4 volume of salt in Kayelle's ration - or 1 Tablespoon of Kosher salt (1/4 of the 1/4). Are you thoroughly confused? If so:

For one cup water, use one Tablespoon Kosher salt.

Old 06-17-2017, 01:29 AM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
I'm not clear about what you are asking Addie.

We are talking about brine for both pork chops and chicken breast/and or thighs. The magic salt to water ratio is 1/4 cup kosher salt to 4 cups of water. The liquid must cover the pork chops/ chicken depending on how much meat you have, and naturally both meats need to be brined separately.
I would like to brine one chop after thawing, and still be able to use the brine at a later date for another chop. Or maybe the idea of brining all of the chops would be the way to go prior to preparing to freeze? My concern was if I had a container big enough for the brine. Aha!

Come to think of it, I have the perfect bowl for brining. And that was my main concern. Did I have a container large enough for this procedure. I picked up a number of years ago at a yard sale, a mixing bowl from an old Sunbeam mixer. The mixer had died, but the bowl survived and is huge. Big enough to hold a complete package of chicken legs or thighs, or a packet of chops. This may turn out to be the best quarter I ever spent. Thanks for the measurements of the brine.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:31 AM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
If you buy your meat at once, and wrap your meat at once, why don't you brine all the items together at once? Then you can wrap individually.

If you want to wait until you take one chop or one piece of chicken from the freezer and then brine, I'll do the math for you. 4 cups of water to 1/4 cup of Kosher salt, right? If you are using only 1 cup of water (you need enough to immerse and cover the piece of meat), you need 1/4 of that 1/4 cup of salt. Since 1 cup equals 16 Tablespoons, 1/4 cup would be 4 Tablespoons. Since you are using only 1/4 of the water, per Kayelle's post, you need only 1/4 volume of salt in Kayelle's ration - or 1 Tablespoon of Kosher salt (1/4 of the 1/4). Are you thoroughly confused? If so:

For one cup water, use one Tablespoon Kosher salt.
Thank you. Like I have stated many times, I am lucky to be able to do addition and subtraction.
Old 06-17-2017, 01:40 AM   #15
Chef Extraordinaire

No....dump the salt water, it's only salt water! Do not use it again!
I use a cooking pot in the fridge for brining and it works great.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2017, 02:29 AM   #16
Executive Chef

Addie if you want to do just one or two chops use the Cooks Illustrated or maybe it was their America's Test Kit... at any rate..

for 1 or 2 Pork Chops:-

dissolve 1 Tbsp kosher salt & a heaping tsp of sugar with enough water to cover the chop(s). Once the salt is dissolved (and it does take some time) add your meat and brine for approx. 15-20 minutes.

for 4 Chops:- double the ingredients...

short and simple!

I use the same recipe for chicken pieces.

and yes, Kayelle is more than correct... it is only salt and sugar! dump it!

There is frugal and then there is frugal but saving brine to use again is not one of them! I'll not go into details unless you ask but basically NO! anymore than you would use a marinade from meat without cooking/boiling it well first!

I am very 'laissez-faire' about a great many things that most others would not - but there are limitations even I do not fool around with. Dumping fresh meat into a saved and used brine is not one of them.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:12 AM   #17
Master Chef

I agree. Don't reuse brine!

Also it tastes more savory with a little sugar added. Taste the brine without and with sugar and see what you think.

Also a hit of soy sauce ups the umami factor.
Old 06-17-2017, 09:54 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
I agree. Don't reuse brine!

Also it tastes more savory with a little sugar added. Taste the brine without and with sugar and see what you think.

Also a hit of soy sauce ups the umami factor.
One time I marinated overnight five pounds of chicken wings for my daughter's July 4th party. Those wings flew of the table. Every so often I would go in the fridge and give them all a toss and turn. Put them on a rack and baked them. I think it was all the salt in the soy sauce. Because that bottle was salty. And it was a big bottle.

Tags
brine, other