"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 02-25-2004, 01:45 PM   #11
Head Chef

Send a message via MSN to kyles
I had the is hoisin sauce a plum sauce argument with my beloved, and I won. It is actually a soy based sauce

hoisin sauce
A rich brownish-red Chinese sauce made from soybean paste, garlic, vinegar, sugar, and spices. Available in specialty markets and some supermarkets.

http://www.caprial.com/pages/recipes/glossary.html

Chinese plum sauce is a different thing again, and just as yummy!

Old 02-25-2004, 03:54 PM   #12
Senior Cook

Are you sure Kyles,? It's been a little while since I used that yummy Hoisin sauce, but I could swear,(I think) that it was a plum based sauce. I'd go to the grocery store right now to find out, but it's fixin' to snow here! the stores are Packed with paranoid people buyin' bread and milk! Possibly, different brands use differing ingredients? We'll find out, If i'm wrong, I'll eat Crow! LOL! Watch out Elf Yer probably gonna get snow too! Got milk? Ha ha!!! Atomic Jed!

Old 02-25-2004, 09:07 PM   #13
Senior Cook

kyles is absolutely right AJ. Hoison sauce is (essentially) Chinese Barbecue sauce that is made primarily of sooy paste. Plum sauce is a condiment originally made to be eaten with the skin of Peking duck, hence it's other name...duck sauce.
Old 02-25-2004, 10:08 PM   #14
Senior Cook

Blast It!!! It's about to start pourin' snow here, but by golly, I'm goin' to the grocery store right now!!! To prove, or dispell this! I'll tell Ya'll what I found, when I git back! Atomic Jed! Dad burn our hides! (the things we do for research, and friends!) A.J.!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 PM   #15
Senior Cook

O.K. ...I just got back from the store, now dig this, one brand is based on Prunes! the other was just as bubba, and Kyles said, but I Know (unless I'm losin' it) All the Hoisin sauce I've ever got were Plum based! I'm tearin' my long black hair out over this one!!! And "Duck Sauce" is Apricot, and Peach based. (said the label) Whew, I got some mighty funny looks walkin' in the store with an impending snowstorm, and didn't buy a thing! (just stood there readin' labels!) A.J. is DEDICATED!!! Gotta Love US! Atomic Jed!
Old 02-25-2004, 11:32 PM   #16
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
LOL A.J. - I wish you would have picked up some eggs for me!! I have lots of meat and some veggies but no eggs. I love an omelet on a snowy morning!!! At least I have coffee - in the long run that's all that really matters :-)

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2004, 11:45 PM   #17
Senior Cook

Gosh KitchenElf! I've got 2 dozen! (eggs) (almost) shoot I'd make us All an omelet, if yull make the coffee! Git ready, here comes the snow! I got cheese too! You got milk?! Smile with a white lip if you do! Do you, or anyone have a recipe for "Snow Ice Cream"? I know, the main rule is... don't use "Yellow Snow"!!!! LOL! Atomic Jed!
Old 02-26-2004, 10:47 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Snow Cream Recipe link

Here you go A.J. - it's how we made it growing up. Sometimes my mom would use milk, or whipping cream, or evaporated milk - it just depended on what we had in the house.

Snow Cream

Old 02-26-2004, 11:56 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Thanx 4 the recipe Kitchenelf!!! I'm a bit leary of makin' it though, worried about pollutants, trapped in the moisture. Not like when we were kids, a far cleaner planet we had yeah? but if'n I drink a few more of these cans 'o' liquid, I'll try it, maybe add some Hoisin sauce! LOL! Hope you got an omelet! More snow comin'! :D Atomic Jed!
Old 02-26-2004, 12:04 PM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

I forget what they say now - I think it's the second day of snow you can eat. The first day sort of "cleaned" the air. I look at it this way. We don't get much snow - Eating a tad bit creates a far greater memory - :-)

It is still peppering down here - quite beautiful but alas, no eggs. I had to have a brunch of sushi - dang -

What's it doing in your area?

Tags
None