How Long Can I Marinate Porkchops?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
I have made this many times and have left it in the marindate for a good hour. However, I'm going somewhere this afternoon and would like to prepare the marinade before I go. Is this ok to have a couple boneless pork chops that will be used in a pork/shrimp/veggie stir fry sitting in this marindade for 2-4 hours?

The marindade is::
soysauce, vinegar, sesame oil, garlic and ginger.

Thanks. Just checking because some times you have to be careful. For example: Shrimp shouldn't be marindated in a sugar/lemon solution for too long.

college_cook said:
You can marinate for a day or more if you like.

agreed, as long as the meat itself is Safe and isn`t "going off" then as long as you like really, you can even buy Fresh meat and freeze it in the marinade :)

Brining is a little different though, you shouldn`t really overdo that, BUT... there`s plenty of threads on here about that too, with plenty excellent advice!

I usually marinade overnight. I leave it in the fridge and prepare it for dinner the following dinner. I don't mix different meats or veggies together though, just one at a time.

Over the years I've had no problem marinating beef, pork, poultry, & game anywhere from a couple of hours to overnight.

Seafood, however, suffers greatly texture-wise & should only be marinated for about 30 minutes or so. The only exceptions I've found are thick steaks of tuna, swordfish, & shark, which can take an hour of marination without any problems.

thanks. turns out, I'm actually not making it until tomorrow night. I'm not that hungry and my DH has a company meeting to go to where they have food. So it will be in the marindate from around 1pm this afternoon until probably 5pm tomorrow night.

Hi Legend,

When I grill pork chops, I soak them in a brine of 1 cup of salt, 1 cup of brown sugar, 2 cups of apple cider vinegar, 1 Tablespoon of dry mustard, 1Tablespoon of black peppercorns, 1 Tablespoon of liquid smoke, 2 quarts of water. Bring to a boil and then let cool. Let the chops soad for two hours. Any more than that and they are too salty.

Back
Top Bottom