Is it possible to marinate a Cornish game hen?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oppose

Cook
i guess this would go for other poultry as well but is it possible to do and if so whats a good marinade and for how long? thanks

It sure is possible. Also, it doesn't take long. Thirty to sixty minutes should be enough.

Any marinade you would use for chicken or turkey will work.

pretty much a small chicken...does not taste gamey as it is domesticated now

beautiful with a butter lemon herb dry white wine marinade

You could use a basic Asian marinade:

low sodium soy sauce
dry sherry (the kind you drink, NOT cooking sherry)
fresh slivered ginger
fresh smashed garlic cloves
brown sugar
spring onions, chopped
sesame seeds
a couple drops of sesame oil

OR:

equal parts low sodium soy sauce, pineapple juice, and white wine - again with fresh ginger and fresh garlic.

Plain balsamic vinegar makes a GREAT marinade. The finished product is not vinegary per se - just has a great flavor. Again, fresh smashed garlic would be good in this one.

I cut mine in half, put them in a bag and marinate them in a bottle of Italian dressing overnight in the fridge.

Then the next day pop them in the oven (without bag of course) at 400 degrees for about 40 minutes. YUMMY!! :clap:

Marinade will work. The flavors given you all will be great with the game hen. Myself, I prefer a brine, which takes much longer, but will flavor the meat all the way through.

My favorite game hens are covered with bacon, stuffed with a rice stuffing (see recipe below), and baked for 12 ninutes a pound at 450'f, or cooked on the covered Webber Kettle, for 12 minutes per pound.

Rice stuffing:
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup each, cooked wild rice, cooked brown rice (cooked in chicken broth)
6 oz. sauteed mushrooms
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
1/8 tsp. turmeric

Stuff it into the bird cavity and cook for 15 mintues per pound. Test both the stuffing and the meat with an instant read thermometer. Pull the bird from the heat when the thickets white meat reads 165' F. If you need to, nuke the stuffing in a microwave safe casserole dish.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

No problem! think of the environment that they would have originally lived in and I go with those flavors, eg, Herbs in season, crushed juniper berries are good, pepper, Olive oil to bring it all together. I marinate mine overnight whenever possible but hey, needs must right so do your best. All I am saying is the longer, the better.

We cut them in half, flatten them and soak in plain yogurt with garlic, cumin, lemon or orange zest and tarragon. Then grill. Serve with a wedge of lemon..

Makes pretty fancy dinner with a side of rice pilaf and some nice veggies. And EASY.

I agree with Wendy and Katie, cutting them in half, and whoever said spatchcocking, I think it was Roll Bones?

Italian dressing is a great marinade for poultry, and I sometimes add cracked black pepper and lemon zest and a load of minced garlic to the marinade and stuff them in bags. I leave them in the fridge overnight and cook them the next day.

Drool.....

I just bought McCormicks Orange Zest just to keep around to marinate the inside of a cornish game hen that I keep frozen in the fridge, then thaw out, but forgot to go to the store to buy an orange just to make zest to put inside it. $5.98.

I really am bringing down this place.

Last edited:
I just bought McCormicks Orange Zest just to keep around to marinate the inside of a cornish game hen that I keep frozen in the fridge, then thaw out, but forgot to go to the store to buy an orange just to make zest to put inside it. $5.98.

I don't think you are bringing the place down. I think finding zest in a jar is great. It allows you to add a gourmet touch, even if you don't happen to have an orange handy. Now I know to look for it. Thank you.

Whoever told you that buying and using convenience items brings down your level of cooking LIED!

I'm the Queen of Ramen Soup and I love your idea to buy orange zest to have on hand. Shrek is the King of Canned Chili and canned biscuits.

Not every day is a gourmet day.

What a great idea! I'll have to look for it too. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with prepackaged stuff.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom