"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 08-26-2014, 12:32 PM   #11
Master Chef

Marinade will work. The flavors given you all will be great with the game hen. Myself, I prefer a brine, which takes much longer, but will flavor the meat all the way through.

My favorite game hens are covered with bacon, stuffed with a rice stuffing (see recipe below), and baked for 12 ninutes a pound at 450'f, or cooked on the covered Webber Kettle, for 12 minutes per pound.

Rice stuffing:
1 stalk celery, sliced
1 small onion, diced
1/2 cup each, cooked wild rice, cooked brown rice (cooked in chicken broth)
6 oz. sauteed mushrooms
1/4 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. coarse grind black pepper
1/8 tsp. turmeric

Stuff it into the bird cavity and cook for 15 mintues per pound. Test both the stuffing and the meat with an instant read thermometer. Pull the bird from the heat when the thickets white meat reads 165' F. If you need to, nuke the stuffing in a microwave safe casserole dish.

Seeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:22 PM   #12
Sous Chef

No problem! think of the environment that they would have originally lived in and I go with those flavors, eg, Herbs in season, crushed juniper berries are good, pepper, Olive oil to bring it all together. I marinate mine overnight whenever possible but hey, needs must right so do your best. All I am saying is the longer, the better.

Life is like good wine.......best taken with friends x
menumaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 01:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

Since I don't care for the flavor of game hens, marinating sounds like a good idea since it masks the natural flavor. I'll stick with chicken myself.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2014, 12:53 PM   #14
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
15# whole turkey?
No, I meant smaller items like the Cornish Game hens that this thread is about.
But Ziplock does make a bag big enough for that turkey.
I used one when I brined my first turkey last Thanksgiving.
Old 08-27-2014, 02:27 PM   #15
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

We cut them in half, flatten them and soak in plain yogurt with garlic, cumin, lemon or orange zest and tarragon. Then grill. Serve with a wedge of lemon..

Makes pretty fancy dinner with a side of rice pilaf and some nice veggies. And EASY.
Old 08-28-2014, 06:45 PM   #16
Sous Chef

I agree with Wendy and Katie, cutting them in half, and whoever said spatchcocking, I think it was Roll Bones?

Italian dressing is a great marinade for poultry, and I sometimes add cracked black pepper and lemon zest and a load of minced garlic to the marinade and stuff them in bags. I leave them in the fridge overnight and cook them the next day.

Drool.....
Old 08-29-2014, 01:22 AM   #17
Head Chef

I just bought McCormicks Orange Zest just to keep around to marinate the inside of a cornish game hen that I keep frozen in the fridge, then thaw out, but forgot to go to the store to buy an orange just to make zest to put inside it. $5.98.

I really am bringing down this place.
Old 08-29-2014, 10:55 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I just bought McCormicks Orange Zest just to keep around to marinate the inside of a cornish game hen that I keep frozen in the fridge, then thaw out, but forgot to go to the store to buy an orange just to make zest to put inside it. $5.98.

I don't think you are bringing the place down. I think finding zest in a jar is great. It allows you to add a gourmet touch, even if you don't happen to have an orange handy. Now I know to look for it. Thank you.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:09 AM   #19
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:

Whoever told you that buying and using convenience items brings down your level of cooking LIED!

I'm the Queen of Ramen Soup and I love your idea to buy orange zest to have on hand. Shrek is the King of Canned Chili and canned biscuits.

Not every day is a gourmet day.
Old 08-29-2014, 11:38 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Is it possible to marinate a Cornish game hen?

Quote:

What a great idea! I'll have to look for it too. And there is absolutely nothing wrong with prepackaged stuff.

Tags
None