"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 10-02-2015, 09:13 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Should you find either product, keep in mind, they both are very strong in the flavor department.

I had a neighbor that used both many years ago. You knew instantly when she would use them in her cooking. The second you walked into her home, you could smell them. The liquids is very strong and requires only almost just a drop. If the recipe calls for a tsp. then you use half if not even less. She made a marinara sauce. Where she would normally cut up one or two onions, she got carried away with the juice and figured that more is better. She also got carried away with the garlic juice. She never repeated that error again. Lesson learned. The "aroma" (?) was so strong, it almost brought tears to your eyes.

I was on the verge of purchasing some myself when she first told me about it. So glad she found out the restrictions first. I stuck with the chopping and smashing, like I had always done. I do remember the bottles were small. And I can understand why. There are directions on the bottles for how much to use.

The following article should tell you just how strong the juice and be. The same goes for garlic juice.

http://therawfoodinstitute.com/raw-f...e-onion-juice/

Old 10-02-2015, 12:21 PM   #12
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
I was making some jerky marinade which called for tablespoons of onion powder and garlic powder. I noticed when adding it to the liquid, it didn't all dissolve, the powders just kind of floated. I heated the liquid, but still the powders didn't fully dissolve.

I was thinking of net ordering some garlic juice and onion juice to use instead of the powders, but have not heard much of anything about them.
Good quality garlic powder should easily incorporate into most anything. Same with onion powder. I use the McCormick from Costco.
Never ever had this issue. Even with grocery store powders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Should you find either product, keep in mind, they both are very strong in the flavor department.
I have not seen any garlic juice in 30 years. Where did you see it available?
I was thinking about this recently and wondered what happened to these juices.

Old 10-02-2015, 12:42 PM   #13
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roll_Bones View Post
Good quality garlic powder should easily incorporate into most anything. Same with onion powder. I use the McCormick from Costco.
Never ever had this issue. Even with grocery store powders.

I have not seen any garlic juice in 30 years. Where did you see it available?
I was thinking about this recently and wondered what happened to these juices.
Same here. That is why I said, "if you should find it".
Old 10-02-2015, 03:28 PM   #14
Master Chef

Easiest way to incorporate onion and garlic flavors into marinades/brines (at least in my humble opinion) - add a portion of the marinade/brine to your blender. Add as much chopped, fresh onion and garlic as you need. Blend until smooth. Pour back into the marinade'brine solution. Rinse blender bowl with hot, soapy water immediately for ease in cleaning.

Seeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2015, 03:49 PM   #15
Executive Chef

The company I consult for sells both Onion Oil Extract and Garlic Oil Extract, which are much more powerful than juices of the same name. I have both in the test kitchen and have used them in recipes in place of chopped onion and garlic.
Old 10-03-2015, 12:39 PM   #16
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
The company I consult for sells both Onion Oil Extract and Garlic Oil Extract, which are much more powerful than juices of the same name. I have both in the test kitchen and have used them in recipes in place of chopped onion and garlic.
Are they available to the general public?
Old 10-03-2015, 02:06 PM   #17
Head Chef

I'm sure some of you must have a juicer. I don't, but, many people here have mentioned having them.

Why not put a few bulbs of garlic through the juicer for garlic juice? Garlic in the Northern part of the US is harvested in July, so it will be more plump from July to November, a good time to juice it.

Putting onions through a juicer would work too, for onion juice.
Old 10-04-2015, 01:18 AM   #18
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir_Loin_of_Beef View Post
Just out of curiosity, if a recipe calls for one large diced onion and four cloves of garlic, how would that transfer to the oils? I would think it would be "by the drop."
Old 10-04-2015, 01:25 AM   #19
Head Chef

It's probably so potent you could use it on warts
Old 10-04-2015, 05:35 AM   #20
Chef Extraordinaire

When my daughter was in the third grade, she picked up a case of worms. I went to toss her underwear into the washer and noticed the pile of dead worms in them. I was horrified! I decided to use an old wives tale to rid her of them. Raw Garlic!! I knew I wasn't going to get that down her throat. So I got some garlic powder. A tsp. of garlic powder followed by a glass of ice water. It did the trick. But to be sure I repeated it before she went to bed. I then told her to cup her hands over her nose and mouth blow into her hands and take a deep breath through her nose. The aroma from her breath almost knocked her out. She refused to go to school the next day. But at least the worms were gone.

Then a couple of years later, I got a call from the school across the street. Would I please come and pick up my neighbor's little girl. Her mother wasn't home. She was having a contagious health problem. She too had worms even worse than my daughter had. I three away her panties and was very hesitant about giving someone else's child something orally. So I did the next best thing. I sprinkled garlic powder on her little but. Those critters just curled up and died in a hurry. This child was but five years old. She was terrified and had no idea why she was sent home from school. When her mother came home I told her about what I had done. I wrapped her in a large towel and when she got home, her mother did the same treatment I had done on my daughter.

There are many uses for garlic besides as a seasoning for food. It is good for the heart as well as for getting rid of worms. And so many other old wives tales that are associated with it. As I have always told my kids, "you can never have too much garlic or onions."

Tags
garlic, juice, onion