"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 01-27-2008, 04:09 PM   #31
Assistant Cook

I feel kinda weird saying this but there is not really any such thing as prime rib. A Standing Rib Roast is generally what we are talking about when we refer to Prime Rib, A Ribeye steak is a slice of a boneless rib roast. Rib roasts should always be at least three ribs to assure a rare center but I've had pretty good luck with big 2 rib roasts, any smaller is a steak and goes on the grill.
These things go on sale around here for about $5.99 a pound, still pricey but when you compare it to a prime rib dinner at a restaurant it's cheaper to do at home and the leftovers are divine! You get the prime rib dinner and the French Dip sandwiches and the cold beef with horseradish. WHen you pay this kind of money for a piece of meat though you want a recipe that never ever fails, overcook this baby and you've blown a lot of money on nothing. There is really just one method that is utterly foolproof and invariably perfect. Roast it 1 hour at 375 then turn it off and don't open the door for 3 hours, turn it back on to 375 half an hour or so before service. A really big roast might want 45 minutes the second time around. I've done maybe a hundred of these and can personally guarantee perfection every time.
I can't post urls yet but search for 'foolproof rib roast' for this recipe.

Pineapple? Nah.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:14 PM   #32
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
There is a prime rib, but a standing rib roast can only be called prime rib, if the meat itself is PRIME grade. then it is a prime rib roast.

prime rib has just become the generic term. There is only 20% Prime graded beef in the U.S. and it is costly, and normally reserved for higher end restaurants.

Still, I wouldn't dream of marinating one.

Old 01-27-2008, 04:38 PM   #33
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
It is the standing rib roast(roll) of a primal that has been inspected, and graded Prime, the highest level beef can reach. Normally, it is the middle 6 ribs that make the cut.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:41 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Ah, the devil's in the details Quite right Chef Tat!
Old 01-27-2008, 04:44 PM   #35
The Dude Abides

No worries Che'mark.

I tell you what, I wouldn't turn down prime rib or a standing rib roast. I could eat it everyday, or until my arteries clogged with beef marble goodness. Nice and rare-Medium rare at the most, some fresh grated horseradish with a little rosemary oil, YUM
Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 PM   #36
Assistant Cook

It's a regular on my table, I just cant bring myself to roast a lesser cut of beef when for just a few dollars more.....
Old 01-29-2008, 06:00 AM   #37
Head Chef

I agree, no marinade. I just use salt and pepper and let her go.
Old 01-29-2008, 07:40 AM   #38
Assistant Cook

Let's re-think this just for a moment, if the steak were marinated, sliced thin, then tossed into a hot skillet with a spot of oil in it and slid right out the other side before it had a chance to more than slightly brown then quickly served as an appetizer in a ring of baked acorn squash and garnished with some bits and bobs off the salad we might have a nice sort of steak tar tariyaki.
I chop up ribeyes and bake them into pies so who am I to tell another cook what not to do with a piece of meat.
Old 01-29-2008, 08:05 AM   #39
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaporTrail View Post
Heck, if you do the seasoning rub right you shouldn't need any sauce afterward IMO... Steak I can see, sauces can add to lots of steaks... but prime rib is the ultimate in beefiness. Needs no sauce.
Prime rib withouth au jus? Burn the heretic...

Besides being tasty, you need the au jus to trick the cretins into thinking they are eating the well-done slice they ordered...

Back on topic...rub it and roast it...
Old 01-31-2008, 03:02 AM   #40
Master Chef

So, we ever find out what he did to the prime rib????

Tags
None