Marinade for prime rib

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mikey... a rub is not a marinade! and even a rub better not be left on too long, or the tissue will break down and you'll end up with mush. It may be flavorful, but it will still be mush! :rolleyes:

I understand a rub is not a marinade, this is why I did not suggest it. As long as it is cooked properly a rub will only help the flavor profile. I am just offering my 2 cents as much as the next guy...:sleep:

Garlic, Olive Oil, Horseradish, Rosemary and Salt was the rub I saw on the show.

Oven 375 for 1.5-2 hours.

Came out prfecto, medium rare.

Let rest for 20 minutes so it STAYS JUICY. If you dry out a prime rib that is a sin.

As for a marinade, I suppose you could let it chill with the rub, the olive oil would probably soak in but if you score it first you could then marinade, cutting the cooking time in half.

:)Ok,there seems to be some confusion are we talking a whole prime rib or a steak.A whole prime rib is never marinated and neither is a good steak.Any time you have a prime cut of beef it needs no messing around with.As I said before I know some people that will totally destroy prime steaks with all the herbs and worstershire and other crap and then let it marinate about 24 hours then grill it,Tasted like seasoning nothing close to a beef steak.They also loved to destroy veal tenderloins she would not let me cook them as I should she would come in and do the same things as she did to the steaks.They tasted ok at first coming out of oven but the next day they had no flavor of great beef just overkill of herbs,garlic,worchestershire and what ever else she could put on.Again such a waste of expensive meat. .

For the record, I am a Salt n Pepper guy, sometimes use garlic and onion salt.

But now that the cat is out of the bag.....

yeah, no Marinade if at all possible.

Marinade....prime rib?

I'm with you. I go as far as making a salt crust-slash-paste that I put on the cut just before cooking it, but the closest I ever come to marinating prime rib is when I age it.

And air is hardly a marinade.

hey everyone, well i just got a sweet looking prime rib from the butchers, about 1 inch thing 1.5lbs. hows this sound for a marinade, red wine, pineapple juice n chunks, 3 cloves of garlic crushed, thyme, sage, and rosemary? anything i should add or take out? thanks

Well? What did you wind up doing with the steak?:chef:

Have to agree... no marinade on prime rib. Have yet to actually prepare any myself, but whenever I eat prime rib at a steak place, I've just got two questions... how big can I afford it, and can I get an end cut (with all the nice little seasonings on the outside...mmm).

Heck, if you do the seasoning rub right you shouldn't need any sauce afterward IMO... Steak I can see, sauces can add to lots of steaks... but prime rib is the ultimate in beefiness. Needs no sauce.

Have to find a place in the area where I can get some prime rib (without breaking my bank account) to cook.

I feel kinda weird saying this but there is not really any such thing as prime rib. A Standing Rib Roast is generally what we are talking about when we refer to Prime Rib, A Ribeye steak is a slice of a boneless rib roast. Rib roasts should always be at least three ribs to assure a rare center but I've had pretty good luck with big 2 rib roasts, any smaller is a steak and goes on the grill.
These things go on sale around here for about $5.99 a pound, still pricey but when you compare it to a prime rib dinner at a restaurant it's cheaper to do at home and the leftovers are divine! You get the prime rib dinner and the French Dip sandwiches and the cold beef with horseradish. WHen you pay this kind of money for a piece of meat though you want a recipe that never ever fails, overcook this baby and you've blown a lot of money on nothing. There is really just one method that is utterly foolproof and invariably perfect. Roast it 1 hour at 375 then turn it off and don't open the door for 3 hours, turn it back on to 375 half an hour or so before service. A really big roast might want 45 minutes the second time around. I've done maybe a hundred of these and can personally guarantee perfection every time.
I can't post urls yet but search for 'foolproof rib roast' for this recipe.

Pineapple? Nah.

There is a prime rib, but a standing rib roast can only be called prime rib, if the meat itself is PRIME grade. then it is a prime rib roast.

prime rib has just become the generic term. There is only 20% Prime graded beef in the U.S. and it is costly, and normally reserved for higher end restaurants.

Still, I wouldn't dream of marinating one.

Last edited:
It is the standing rib roast(roll) of a primal that has been inspected, and graded Prime, the highest level beef can reach. Normally, it is the middle 6 ribs that make the cut.

No worries Che'mark.

I tell you what, I wouldn't turn down prime rib or a standing rib roast. I could eat it everyday, or until my arteries clogged with beef marble goodness. Nice and rare-Medium rare at the most, some fresh grated horseradish with a little rosemary oil, YUM

It's a regular on my table, I just cant bring myself to roast a lesser cut of beef when for just a few dollars more.....

Let's re-think this just for a moment, if the steak were marinated, sliced thin, then tossed into a hot skillet with a spot of oil in it and slid right out the other side before it had a chance to more than slightly brown then quickly served as an appetizer in a ring of baked acorn squash and garnished with some bits and bobs off the salad we might have a nice sort of steak tar tariyaki.
I chop up ribeyes and bake them into pies so who am I to tell another cook what not to do with a piece of meat.

Heck, if you do the seasoning rub right you shouldn't need any sauce afterward IMO... Steak I can see, sauces can add to lots of steaks... but prime rib is the ultimate in beefiness. Needs no sauce.

Prime rib withouth au jus? Burn the heretic... ;)

Besides being tasty, you need the au jus to trick the cretins into thinking they are eating the well-done slice they ordered...:LOL:

Back on topic...rub it and roast it... :chef:

Back
Top Bottom