"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 12-12-2007, 04:39 PM   #1
Cook

Marinade for prime rib

hey everyone, well i just got a sweet looking prime rib from the butchers, about 1 inch thing 1.5lbs. hows this sound for a marinade, red wine, pineapple juice n chunks, 3 cloves of garlic crushed, thyme, sage, and rosemary? anything i should add or take out? thanks

Old 12-12-2007, 04:48 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Personally I would take it all out. It shouldn't need tenderizing, and unless you just don't like the taste of good beef, why put anything on it to change the flavor...I suggest S&P and a little garlic.

Enjoy!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2007, 04:57 PM   #3
Cook

i guess im just in a marinating mood lol. im actually going with just 2 gloves of garlic chopped, some taragon and sage and some french red wine. gonna let it rock for an hour or two.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:00 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

Agree with Uncle Bob. Season and toss it on the grill
Old 12-12-2007, 06:08 PM   #5
Master Chef

pRIME RIB FOR MARINADE. yOU ARE A MURDERER. (oops, sorry). Prime ribe is called Prime because it is a prime piece of meat. All it needs is Salt and Pepper, well I like paprika on everything. This is a part of meat you really should taste the meat. Not marinade, not seasoning.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:24 PM   #6
Cook

the butcher is literally across the street and there are alot of days in the year.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:26 PM   #7
Head Chef

Gotta agree with all of the posters who say it is a crime to marinate a prime rib.

There are a lot of cuts of meat that can be helped by a human's tinkering, but in my humble opionion prime rib ain't one of them.
Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 PM   #8
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
If you insist on marinating it here's my favorite marinade for tender cuts.

Put the steak in a shallow container whose walls are taller than the steak. For your amount of meat I would crush 6-8 cloves of garlic, and maybe 3-4 TB of crushed pepper. Now fill the container with extra virgin olive oil, just enough to cover the meat, and let it sit for at least a day, and up to 3 in your fridge, covered.

Then cook it however you like.
Old 12-12-2007, 08:46 PM   #9
Head Chef

It is not nice to murder prime rib with marinadies S&P is all you need
Old 12-12-2007, 09:19 PM   #10
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Hutchins View Post
It is not nice to murder prime rib with marinadies S&P is all you need
You are so right,a prime cut needs nothing but salt and pepper maybe a drop or two of worchestershire.Thats it, marinades are designed for tougher cuts of meat.Sure a marinade on chicken or shrimp is good but no more than 30 minutes.I will marinade a filet mignon in a red wine marinade but again no longer than 30 minutes just to add some flavor nothing more.I think marinades are over used especially on good cuts of beef.A good cut of beef needs nothing but a good sear and salt and pepper.I know people who will take super expensive steaks cover them with tons of worchestershire,a ton of fresh herbs and seasoned salt and let them marinate 24 hours.The result?A mouth full of seasoning no beef flavor.Soo marinated you cant tell its beef.
Nope, a good piece of prime beef is meant to be eaten as close to its natural form as possible.Again its the good sear that brings out the flavor.

Tags
None