Pantry Scrounge Marinade?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

keltin

Washing Up
Here's an interesting Marinade and Sauce.

Since this is a new place/forum/thread and it's perfect for my experimental attitude, I figured why not! So, I’ve got a whole chicken that I cut up into 8 pieces…….legs, thighs, wings, breasts. Wanting something different, I decide to try a new marinade and sauce.

2 Mandarin Oranges
1/2 Cup Soy
2 Cloves garlic
2 Tbspn Rice Wine Vinegar
2 Tbspn Sweet Chili Sauce

Put all ingredients in the food processor (juice too) and blend. Marinate chicken for 3-4 hours (or overnight), then grill or broil. While cooking, reduce leftover marinade until thick, and top chicken with sauce, allow 5 minute on grill or under broiler with sauce so that it sets.

Good stuff!

So, that’s my pantry scrounge, and it isn’t bad……but it’s nagging at me that it could be better…..any ideas?

ironchef said:
The four ingredients that immediately popped into my head was fresh ginger, hoisin sauce, chicken stock, and chopped scallions.

Sounds good! But how? My approach was to pan sear the chicken (after the marinade) then finish it in the oven, As it did so, I reduced the marinade to a finishing topper (like classic BBQ sauce) sauce of sorts. Would your idea be more of a “gravy” or serving sauce?

It might be a good idea to braise your chicken in that sauce. If you're just using it to marinade and reduce though, honey would be another good ingredient.

If you're reducing the marinade to a sauce I would reccomend just reducing it until its a glaze-like consistency, and serve of lo-mein or white rice.

college_cook said:
It might be a good idea to braise your chicken in that sauce. If you're just using it to marinade and reduce though, honey would be another good ingredient.

If you're reducing the marinade to a sauce I would reccomend just reducing it until its a glaze-like consistency, and serve of lo-mein or white rice.

Honey is a very nice additive here! Plus, on lo mien, even though this is bone in chicken, it would give the knife and fork wielder something to do…..not bad….and I love lo mien, and this “sauce” will work nicely with it!

Thanks!

keltin said:
Sounds good! But how? My approach was to pan sear the chicken (after the marinade) then finish it in the oven, As it did so, I reduced the marinade to a finishing topper (like classic BBQ sauce) sauce of sorts. Would your idea be more of a “gravy” or serving sauce?

You know what, I was thinking of a stir fry so 86 the chicken stock and add sherry or sake instead. I also forgot sugar, but honey would also work. You could do the same thing that you originally did. The hoisin, ginger, honey/sugar, and sherry/sake will give the marinade/sauce a lot more flavor. Sesame oil would be another dimension of flavor. The scallions would be added at the end.

I was also thinking of a sweetener - honey or brown sugar. When I do a fruity teriyaki type sauce, a bit of sweet usually zips it right up.

Make sure you bring the marinade to a full rolling boil for a while if you lower the eat to reduce.

Or make up extra that doesn't get contaminated by the chicken to use for the sauce.

I'd suggest ginger, black soy sauce and sesame oil. or if you can find it, some gojujang.

Back
Top Bottom