Steak Marinade Recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ok, another peeping tom bump.

interesting stuff. anyone else? buehler?

the general consensus lately seems to be to leave steaks alone, but i'm interested in marinades as i have some old, frozen steaks that will need some help.

This marinade comes from my old Joy of Cooking for both chicken and steak and it's wonderful and it made the rounds in expat Egypt.....the cook actually warmed it first, put the meat in, and then refrigerated it:

1/2 cup vegetable oil (though I think you could get by with less if the steak is marbled)
1 cup soy sauce
3 Tablespoons brown sugar
3 mashed cloves of garlic
1 Tablespoon grated fresh gingerroot
2 Tablespoons sherry ( I just used white wine)
(reserve some for basting as it makes 2 1/2 cups)

Marinate the meat 4-12 hours refrigerated. Baste with some reserved marinade during cooking.

I am fan of marinades and there are various varieties of marinade recipes. I am here looking to prepare a great steak marinade recipe. Please anyone here can provide me procedure to make steak recipe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am fan of marinades and there are various varieties of marinade recipes. I am here looking to prepare a great steak marinade recipe. Please anyone here can provide me procedure to make steak recipe.

Towards the beginning of the thread there are a couple marinade recipes. Marinading a steak is fun because you can take what you know to be a great steak and turn it into something that compliments the other dishes that are served with it.

Don't get me wrong - I'm a purist at heart, but a steak with a good marinade is worth just as much as a good cut of properly cooked steak. That being said, here is my go-to steak marinade.

For 1 steak:
2 tbsp honey
2 tbsp worcestershire
1 tsp garlic powder

Using something simple like that marinade you can add and change it to your liking or the other dishes that it will be served with. If we're doing something with an Asian flare I like to change up the worcestershire with teriyaki. Or maybe, for use with some Mexican rice, add some cayenne, ancho chili powder, and some lime juice. The possibilities are endless.

I will say, even when I marinade a steak it still gets a dry seasoning before grilling/cooking. Salt and pepper are a must as is some onion powder. Be creative and try new things!:chef:

It is fun to mix it up sometimes. I've got a base of about:
1C oil (veg, italian dressing, evoo, what ever)
1/4 C each of Soy sauce, whorchest sauce, lemon juice(fresh if possible, maybe even some zest), and mustard(from basic to crazy)
couple of garlic cloves crushed, minched, what ever

I also add to this what ever looks good at the time, I did some potato wedges in this with some blk pepper and Zats liq crab boil. Marinaded for 2 hrs and on the smoker. I liked them, had a bite to'em.

Hard to beat s&p, but fun to play around, too.

I like using the following combinations for marinade.

1/2 cup of red wine
2 tsps of dried oregano
1 tsp of garlic salt
cracked black pepper
Mix well and leave steaks in the marinade for at least 1 hour.

1/2 cup of coke
1 tbs of W/sauce
1 tbs of ketchup
1 tbs of peach chutney
1 tsp of tabasco
salt and pepper
Mix well and marinade for 1 hour or more.

1/2 cup of balsamic vinegar
1tsp of cayenne pepper
1 tsp of mixed spice
splash of olive oil

Mix and marinade for 30 mins to one hour. Not longer.

Juice from one lemon
Splash of olive oil
Smoked paprika
Garlic salt
Season steak with paprika and garlic salt
Pour lemon and olive oil evenly over steaks. Marinade for one hour.

I just can't bring myself to marinade a great steak. There are too many flavorful cuts of beef that lend themselves perfectly to the marinade process, that are less expensive and taste great. If treated properly, they are tender and tasty.

I barely season my steak, whether it's on the grill, in the pan, or under the broiler. I want the pure, rich flavor of well-marbled beef when I eat steak. Teh only other flavors I want to taste are the smoke from the dripping fat, and a bit of salt and pepper. Occasionally, I'll put a bit of A1 Steak Sauce on it. It compliments the beef flavor. But again, it's used sparingly, and only sometimes.

I know this doesn't help the thread, or give any great marinating recipes. But I just can't do it.:ohmy:

Seeeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

i want to go to paris one day and after ordering a steak, ask for ketchup and a shaker of salt, just to see the look on the waiter's face. :cool:

I've done lots of different marinades for beef in general. Here are three of my favorites and my husband's favorite. The proportions are for one or two small steaks.

1tblsp orange juice concentrate
1 tblsp worcestershire sauce
1/2 tsp ground ginger OR 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
Black pepper to taste

1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 clove minced garlic

1/4 cup water
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 clove minced garlic
Black pepper to taste

The hubby's fav

1 tblsp A1 sauce
1 tblsp Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 tblsp chili powder
1 clove minced garlic
Black pepper

A lot of times we'll buy family packs because they are cheaper and as we separate and repackage the meat for freazing I'll add the marinade. It seems to work well. Otherwise, I'll just marinade the meat for a half hour to an hour before cooking.

I've done lots of different marinades for beef in general. Here are three of my favorites and my husband's favorite. The proportions are for one or two small steaks.

1tblsp orange juice concentrate
1/2 tsp ground ginger OR 1 tsp minced fresh ginger
Black pepper to taste

1/4 cup pineapple juice
1 tsp soy sauce
1 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp honey
1/2 clove minced garlic

1/4 cup water
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp basil
1 clove minced garlic
Black pepper to taste

The hubby's fav

1 tblsp A1 sauce
1 tblsp Tabasco or Frank's Red Hot sauce
1 tblsp chili powder
1 clove minced garlic
Black pepper

A lot of times we'll buy family packs because they are cheaper and as we separate and repackage the meat for freazing I'll add the marinade. It seems to work well. Otherwise, I'll just marinade the meat for a half hour to an hour before cooking.

Sounds almost exactly like the marinades I mentioned :) Great minds think alike or is it fools never differ :LOL:

expat's recipe from Joy is more or less what I do. I have never put vegetable oil in mine. This sort of marinade is very forgiving (I got my original recipe from a Korean recipe for bulgogi or kal-bi, didn't even know it was in Joy). If I put oil in it at all it is a drizzle of sesame for flavor. The sugar ... I use just about anything. One year my sister made orange marmalade and it didn't set, and I used that. If I'm marinading for a long period of time, i don't bother to mince the ginger, just put in slices. I agree that wine works as well as sherry, and even a mild, sweet-ish vinegar will do (rice, malt, wine, even cidar vinegars). This is my "go to" basic recipe. I use it for any dark meat (beef, pork). If you buy a rack of beef ribs, separate them, then marinade in this, then cook on the coals, you have a feast for kings. I use slightly less sugar for beef, more for pork or game that is strong.

Same thing here. When the cuts that we like go on sale we buy about 5 - 7 lbs and properly freeze it. Steak is a nice weekly dinner.

Here is a recipe that was given to me by a dear friend.

2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons powdered ginger
Garlic powder to taste

Marinate over night. Pat dry, broil, fry or grill.:chef:

Here is a recipe that was given to me by a dear friend.

2 Tablespoons oil
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup honey
2 Tablespoons vinegar
1 1/2 Tablespoons powdered ginger
Garlic powder to taste

Marinate over night. Pat dry, broil, fry or grill.:chef:
Sounds like one I make but I've never used the ginger, will add it to mine it sounds perfect thanks for sharing Patty
kades

I like a good southwestern marinade if I'm going to grill my steak. Basically eyeball all of the following, depending on your tastes: veg. oil, ancho chili powder, cumin, pepper, fresh garlic cloves smashed, sliced red onion, and if you have it, a bit of adobo sauce from canned chipotle peppers. Also, remember that marinades only penetrate 1/16th of an inch per 24 hours, or so I've heard, so try and do it 2-3 days before you actually grill them.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom