"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 08-06-2012, 12:34 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Strictly Chicken

I'm a chicken eater. I love it. It helps my bones grow like milk helps kids.

I need out of the ordinary and some ordinary list of chicken marinades because I eat it so much I get tired of the same ole salt and pepper. I also got reamed out by a bunch of you for mentioning italian dressing and how that is outdue. So wet marinades, dry herbs, fresh herbs. Whatever, you name it I'll try it.

Old 08-06-2012, 01:04 AM   #2
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
The sky is the limit, man. For real.

personally, I don't eat a lot of chicken, and if I do, it's dark meat, or it's already cooked(thank you Pollo A la Brassa).

I like to marinate in a mix of soy, brown sugar(a lot, enough to off set the saltiness of the soy), mirin, ginger, garlic, sesame oil, green onions, and cilantro. Make the marinade separately, and reserve some of it, as it cooks down wonderful, and add a little crushed red pepper flakes. . .anywho, marinate your bird(boneless skinless thighs for me), 6 hours is good, over night is better, and sear off really well, finish in the oven, then julienne, toss with some sweated diced peppers and onion, add some of the reserved marinade that you have cooked down a bit and thickend with a slurry, and viola: The best "Bourbon" Chicken you have ever had.

For a more laid back, easy breezy marinade, I use this for almost all of my airline stlye chicken breasts: Balsamic, lemon zest, minced basil, minced rosemary, minced garlic, and olive oil. I typically put the bird boobs in a large zip top freezer bag, add the marinade, and massage the bird until well worked, and just let 'em be. Again, 6 hours is good, over night is better. Grill 'em, pan sear 'em, it's all good.

I like to take prefab Jerk Seasoning(dry), mix in just enough Sweet Thai Chili sauce to make it a paste, add a hand full of chopped green onion, a little vanilla extract, 2 whole star anise, a splash of cider vinegar, and marinate 8 cut chicken for a day. Best over a charcoal grill, and simple garnished with caramelized pineapple, and cilantro.

Beer can chicken, just Google it, that should keep ya busy for a month or two. The marinades run far and wide, but the technique is GREAT. Instead of using beer, I use margarita mix, with a bird that has been marinated with Onion, garlic, cilantro, lime, pepper, oil, tequila, cumin, chili powder, and sea salt. Margarita Chicken anyone?

I KNOW a million and six people will chime in with suggestions, so I'm done for now. Just remember: Chicken s Chicken. You can do it every which way but raw(unless you are in japan, yes they do Chicken Sashimi). It adapts to almost EVERY flavor profile you can think of, and is used the world over. the sky is the limit.

Old 08-06-2012, 02:02 AM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

So sorry about the reaming out for the Italian dressing marinade. Go to our recipe section and you will find a plethera of recipes for chicken. I think you will find one that you really like and will wonder why did you ever use the Italian dressing in the first place.
Old 08-06-2012, 02:07 AM   #4
The Dude Abides

Send a message via AIM to TATTRAT Send a message via Yahoo to TATTRAT Send a message via Skype™ to TATTRAT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
So sorry about the reaming out for the Italian dressing marinade. Go to our recipe section and you will find a plethera of recipes for chicken. I think you will find one that you really like and will wonder why did you ever use the Italian dressing in the first place.
No ma'am! It is a practice that must be broken! lol. The good sir here is going into the Culinary field, hopefully he can pass on the banishment of Italian dressing as the "Go To" Chicken marinade!
Old 08-06-2012, 04:06 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Mediterranean Chicken Dishes A to Z

Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Clever posting idea & thank you.

There are 3 million plus recipes for chicken, however, some of our faves are:

1. roast and savoury stuffed

2. chicken salad ( We like the 1953 Le Cordon Bleu recipe prepared for Queen Elizabeth II´s Inauguration )

3. B B Q

4. Chicken soup - home made of course

5. southern fried ( on rare occasion )

6. Chicken Normandy style with cider and Calvados Apple Brandy in oven

7. Chicken stuffed and wrapped in Pastry with wild mushrooms & Proscuitto di Parma or one can employ bacon

8. coq au vin

9. Basque Chicken with red bell pepper, red Piquillo Peppers & tomato with Serrano or Jabugo Black Foot Iberian acorn fed ham

10. chicken picata

11. chicken scallopine with marsala

12. chicken kiev - filled with spinach or parsley and butter

13. chicken jalfrezi or tandoori or kika ( Indian dishes )

14. Greek chicken with lemon

15. Tagine Moroccan chicken with lemons and cous cous

16. Thai style BB Q

17. Chicken e Proscuitto di Parma alla Parmigiana

18. Chicken stuffed with Basil Pesto al Genovese ( Recipe in Ethnic Section - Margi Cintrano )

18 Off top of think tank ...

Have wonderful summer.
Margaux.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:10 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Coballs: Chicken Photos

Buon Giorno Coballs, ( Good Morning ),

Here a few photos ...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	POLLO CON LIMON.jpg
Views:	136
Size:	47.0 KB
ID:	14986   Click image for larger version

Name:	POLLO DE LA CORONACIÓN.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	73.2 KB
ID:	14987  

Old 08-06-2012, 04:13 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Coballs: A Couple of More Chicken Photos

1. Normandy Chicken with Cider & Calvados
2. Chicken with wild mushrooms & edible flower salad

By: Margaux Cintrano.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cider chicken.jpg
Views:	139
Size:	34.5 KB
ID:	14988   Click image for larger version

Name:	chicken breast and mushrm salad with flowers.jpg
Views:	131
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	14989  

Old 08-06-2012, 04:14 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Tatt,

Thanks for your numerous ideas on chicken too.

Kind regards, and have a wonderful August,
Margi.
Old 08-06-2012, 04:37 AM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coballs View Post
I'm a chicken eater. I love it. It helps my bones grow like milk helps kids.

I need out of the ordinary and some ordinary list of chicken marinades because I eat it so much I get tired of the same ole salt and pepper. I also got reamed out by a bunch of you for mentioning italian dressing and how that is outdue. So wet marinades, dry herbs, fresh herbs. Whatever, you name it I'll try it.
tatts right coballs.there are a million & one marinades,seasonings & rubs for chicken and,like tatt,i usually just eat the thighs/drummers.thats were the flavour & moisture lies.i also usually cook my thighs etc skinless,but on the bone.why flavour the skin...once it's gone it's gone,the bone provides flavour,retains shape for the meat & gives you something to hold on to
skinless,as well as allowing the seasoning to penetrate into the meat also cuts down on the fat/cals.here's a wet one & a dry one,
chicken souvlaki:score your skinless/bone in thighs & drummers.mix juice of 1 lemon,good glug of evoo,tbls red wine vinegar,finely sliced garlic to taste,dried oregano,salt & pepper.chuck everything in a ziplock food bag with the chicken.massage the marinade into the chicken,toss the bag in the fridge forget about it for a min of 2 hrs...pref all day.take out chicken & griddle,grill,bake...whatever you like as long as you get some charred bits on there
paprika chicken:chicken as for souvlaki.mix paprika or smoked paprika(you choose)cayenne,little bit of cornstarch,little bit of caster sugar,dried marjoram,salt.white pepper,little bit of dried cumin.coat the chicken in the dry mix,wait for the moisture from the chicken to soak through the coating,coat again.bake at high heat in the oven
Old 08-06-2012, 05:01 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Wow, what a list, thanks for all the ideas Margi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Margi Cintrano View Post
Buon Giorno, Good Morning,

Clever posting idea & thank you.

There are 3 million plus recipes for chicken, however, some of our faves are:

1. roast and savoury stuffed

2. chicken salad ( We like the 1953 Le Cordon Bleu recipe prepared for Queen Elizabeth II´s Inauguration )

3. B B Q

4. Chicken soup - home made of course

5. southern fried ( on rare occasion )

6. Chicken Normandy style with cider and Calvados Apple Brandy in oven

7. Chicken stuffed and wrapped in Pastry with wild mushrooms & Proscuitto di Parma or one can employ bacon

8. coq au vin

9. Basque Chicken with red bell pepper, red Piquillo Peppers & tomato with Serrano or Jabugo Black Foot Iberian acorn fed ham

10. chicken picata

11. chicken scallopine with marsala

12. chicken kiev - filled with spinach or parsley and butter

13. chicken jalfrezi or tandoori or kika ( Indian dishes )

14. Greek chicken with lemon

15. Tagine Moroccan chicken with lemons and cous cous

16. Thai style BB Q

17. Chicken e Proscuitto di Parma alla Parmigiana

18. Chicken stuffed with Basil Pesto al Genovese ( Recipe in Ethnic Section - Margi Cintrano )

18 Off top of think tank ...

Have wonderful summer.
Margaux.

Tags
chicken