Tenderizers for Marinades

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
jennyema said:
Count me in as NOT eating rare or raw pork ...

Let me ask you some thing, do you eat projuto (not sure about the spelling)?

Because if you do, you are eating row pork.

guys, what is the longest amount of time i should leave boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a dressing made of only Caesar Parmesan Vinnagrette dressing?

I want flavor but not to be tough.

Maybe one hour?

I will be searing the meat then finishing in oven.

The problem with rare pork is trichinosis, which is a dangerous parasite that is found in hogs. It could only be killed by getting the meat to a certain temperature...basically, well done.

We no longer have that problem with pork, in the USA, at least.
In fact, the way hogs are raised now, the meat really is like "the other white meat". It's quite acceptable to serve certain cuts medium to even medium rare.

Mylegsbig said:
guys, what is the longest amount of time i should leave boneless, skinless chicken breasts in a dressing made of only Caesar Parmesan Vinnagrette dressing?

I want flavor but not to be tough.

Maybe one hour?

I will be searing the meat then finishing in oven.

Leg, that will be really good. Andy's right...2 hours will do the trick. I often do that with Italian dressing, but any vinaigrette will be good. I've had the one you are using, and it's really good! Enjoy your meal!

thanks as always guys.

yeah..should be really good.

im using it to marinate and then im gonna slice reallll thin and throw it in with some rigatoni, olive oil, parmagiano regiano, black pepper, crushed red pepper flakes, lemon juice, minced italian parsley, big chunks of sauteed garlic.... GOOD LORD im getting hungry....

Yes I am, thank you for corect speling, but in fact it is raw. Yes it has been cured and aged, but it has never been cooked.

pork needs to be at 140* (138 actually) to kill the trich parasite. Pork served at 145 or 150 is quite nicely medium and very tasty. Chick I take to 160*. Beef and lamb I like med rare ... hot but still reddish.

One more question:

Is it best to pierce boneless skinless chicken breast with a fork before marinating?

the sear in steel skillet should close up the holes no?

Jkath you must try yoghurt. We make chicken tikkas that are marinated in it and they are the chicken is really succulent.

I used to marinate my chicken in lime but then its became really chewy. I figured its gotta do with the time its marinated, if its more than a few hours it tends to seperate into strands after it's cooked.

ironchef said:
So if you eat a piece raw pork loin, pork butt, etc. you're saying that it is in fact, the same thing as eating proscuitto crudo?

No, I am saying, that if you marinade pork for day or two, you can eat it raw after that. The type of marinade does make a difference. I wouldn't eat after it was seating in milk or yogurt for a day, but I would eat if it was salty/acidy marinade. Have done it many times. Half and half olive oil and vinegar, salt pepper to taste, with a lot of onion, cubed pork, about 1 to 2 inch in size, after day or two, some times maybe even three, I ate it before it ever got on the grill and it was great. Try it.

be careful using pineapple when marinating/tenderizing. i left a bunch of chuck cubes in a pineapple marinade for 2 1/2 days once, and after grilling them on skewers they had the texture of liver; soft but mushy. now i like liver, but not if it were supposed to be beef kabobs.

Back
Top Bottom