"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Sauces, Marinades, Rubs > Marinades

Old 05-17-2006, 12:01 PM   #1
Hospitality Queen

Arrow Tenderizers for Marinades

Summer is here, so it's time to heat up those grills!

Here's a good list of foods, that when added
to your marinade, will naturally tenderize
your meats:

Pineapple
Ginger
Papaya
Honeydew
Tomato
Vinegar
Wine
Buttermilk
Figs
Mango
Beer
Kiwi
Citrus Fruits
Yogurt

Old 05-17-2006, 12:11 PM   #2
Master Chef

I have to disagree with three of your ingredients; Tomato, Vinaiger, and Citrus. These are all acidic ingredients that will cause the outer layer of meat protiens to tighten into a virtual wall, inhibiting the marinade's ability to permeate the meat tissue. But the other ingredients, even the buttermilk (which is acidic as well) do break down protien strands, making the meat more tender.

Think of dried beans. When acidic ingredients are added to a pot of beans too early in the cooking process, the beans become hard, and resist the tenderizing action of the boiling liquid. The protiens in the beans again acts as a barrier.

Many moons ago, there was a thread in which one of our esteemed members did some lab-quality experiments to determine how deep marinades actually penetrate meat tissue. He found that when acidic ingredients are used, the marinades penetrated only the very surface of the meat, even after refridgerating and leaving in the marinading liquid for a week.

Brines, on the other hand, completely penetrated the meat, and so are a good vehicle to carry the tenderizing agents found in kiwi, pineapple, and other foods, throughout the meat tissue.

But thanks for the thread, and the list. Most of it is correct.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 12:16 PM   #3
Hospitality Queen

Actually, here's more on that subject:

Acid-based marinades both tenderize and flavor many different types of foods, not just meats and seafood. Acids such as citrus juices, pineapple, yogurt, buttermilk, and wine tenderize by denaturing or unwinding protein strings. They also lend flavor to the end product. Extra-virgin olive oil naturally contains monoglycerides and is a good choice for marinades.

I got this information (which I thought was really helpful, as we love to grill!)
from the following meat website: http://www.askthemeatman.com/beef_marinade_recipes.htm
Old 05-17-2006, 01:00 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

One of the cooking science experts I rely on is Shirley O. Corriher. HEr book Cookwise is worth the investment.

The link below will take you to an article on the subject of marinades that tenderize.

"Marinades Add Flavor but Don't Always Tenderize"
Old 05-17-2006, 01:05 PM   #5
Master Chef

Fresh pineapple contains an enzyme called bomelaine. It is this enzyme in the pineapple that "unwinds" the protien strands. Actually, it partially digests them.

Both kiwi and papaya contain papain, which is another of those protien digesting enzymes.

Here's a link that explains in more scientific detail the actions of tenderizing agents: http://www.enzymedevelopment.com/htm...s/protein.html

Here is another site that explains the action of milk and other dairy products with respect to tenderizing protien. http://www.taunton.com/finecooking/pages/c00157.asp

Here are three more sites that explain why acids don't tenderize foods:
http://www.gapersblock.com/airbags/a...ime_marinades/
http://allrecipes.com/advice/coll/bbq/articles/97P1.asp
http://www.eaglequest.com/~bbq/faq2/9-2.html

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2006, 01:13 PM   #6
Master Chef

Pardon my poor English, maybe it is not called tenderizing, maybe it is called something else, but if you leave a piece of, lets say pork, in vinegar for a day, you can eat that pork uncooked it will be so soft.
So, call it what you wish, but vinegar is great for marinating meats.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:29 PM   #7
Cook

Did you guys know that Papaya is not only a meat tenderizor but it also helps with bee stings if you have an allergic reaction. My dad put a meat tenderizing powder on his bee stings, and this powder contains a lot of dryed papaya.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:30 PM   #8
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by katluvscake
Did you guys know that Papaya is not only a meat tenderizor but it also helps with bee stings if you have an allergic reaction. My dad put a meat tenderizing powder on his bee stings, and this powder contains a lot of dryed papaya.

It works well. I've used it that way in the past.
Old 05-17-2006, 01:31 PM   #9
Hospitality Queen

Wow! Great information! Thanks kat~
Old 05-17-2006, 01:52 PM   #10
Head Chef

agreed...citrus doesn't tenderize meat...that guy is mistaken

Tags
None